Android Apps optimized for tablets?

brig2221

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Nexus 7 tablet to supplement my current iPad2. My wife hogs the iPad, and I really like the thought of using a 7" tablet. A $250 price point for the 16 gig model doesn't hurt either ;)

Anyhow, not being familiar with Android tablets, I thought I would pose my question here before I pre-order. Are there very many apps in the Google Play store that are optimized for tablets? My understanding is that all Android tablet offerings thus far have failed to make much of a dent in iPad sales, leading to very little market share. It would make sense then that a lot of developers might not make tablet optimized versions of their apps for Android.

The last thing I want to do is get my tablet, hit the Google Play marketplace, and find that all the apps I want are phone apps. I would plan on using this as a consumption device, so the types of apps I would be looking at would be mobile banking apps, USA today, newspapers, you know, your fairly major and well known apps.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
There are a good number of tablet optimized apps out there, and hopefully this Nexus7 will get more devs to make their apps tablet ready.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Android tablet owners should start with this.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.tablified.tablifiedmarket&token=Y1164SvR

This is free, but I recommend you pay $1.49 and get the whole ball of wax. Otherwise you will be stuck with apps designed for phones that just don't look/work right.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Nexus 7 tablet to supplement my current iPad2. My wife hogs the iPad, and I really like the thought of using a 7" tablet. A $250 price point for the 16 gig model doesn't hurt either ;)

Anyhow, not being familiar with Android tablets, I thought I would pose my question here before I pre-order. Are there very many apps in the Google Play store that are optimized for tablets? My understanding is that all Android tablet offerings thus far have failed to make much of a dent in iPad sales, leading to very little market share. It would make sense then that a lot of developers might not make tablet optimized versions of their apps for Android.

The last thing I want to do is get my tablet, hit the Google Play marketplace, and find that all the apps I want are phone apps. I would plan on using this as a consumption device, so the types of apps I would be looking at would be mobile banking apps, USA today, newspapers, you know, your fairly major and well known apps.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure why that's relevant. iPad will always have more fart apps and crapps than Android. Yes they have hundreds of thousands compared to tens of thousands for Android. How many will you truly use? 50? maybe. But I have over 200 apps on my phone and use maybe 20 regularly. Because those are the good ones. Others are OK to ...Meh... and I probably should uninstall. But I have to show the iPhone/iPad users something, LOLO.

Reactions: anon(19758)

brig2221

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why that's relevant. iPad will always have more fart apps and crapps than Android. Yes they have hundreds of thousands compared to tens of thousands for Android. How many will you truly use? 50? maybe. But I have over 200 apps on my phone and use maybe 20 regularly. Because those are the good ones. Others are OK to ...Meh... and I probably should uninstall. But I have to show the iPhone/iPad users something, LOLO.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I only use what one would consider the more popular and mainstream apps. I don't have hundreds of them, nor do I need access to all the Indie developers and niche apps the iPad has. All that said, I have nearly zero experience with Android up to this point, so I literally have no idea of the breadth and depth of tablet optimized apps in the Android marketplace, which is why I came here to ask.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head for me. I only use what one would consider the more popular and mainstream apps. I don't have hundreds of them, nor do I need access to all the Indie developers and niche apps the iPad has. All that said, I have nearly zero experience with Android up to this point, so I literally have no idea of the breadth and depth of tablet optimized apps in the Android marketplace, which is why I came here to ask.

Yeppers, then use the link to tablified and download the app to your tablet when you get it. A good place, it will eliminate all the apps designed for 3.5-5.5 inch phone screens (mostly) and give you those that have been designed or updated to work on tablet form factor.

pokingmon

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure once devs see the numbers of n7 devices out there I think it would be silly to not start pumping out optimized apps for it.

that and google has been implementing features in their SDK's to help devs make their apps work on phones AND tablets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter