Android Auto - Audible App Unstable

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I am new to Android Auto.

I am having several issues when playing back Audio books.

When listening to a book, after a minute the audio cuts off, but I can see that the playback is continuing (I can see the progress bar & seconds tick by...)

When I try to stop the play back it does not respond to the button click on the infotainment console

If it helps:
* the phone was connected using Bluetooth
* Android Auto version 9.0.630834 (on my phone)
* Phone Android Version 10
* Audible Version 3.47.0
* Audible Batter Setting: Allow Background Activity, Optimize Battery Usage is On
* Audible Permissions - No Permissions Denied

If you could tell me what could be causing this I would really appreciate it

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for the response.

Sorry I should have mentioned that the books are already downloaded to my samsung phone. The infotainment system is in an Audi.

I don't believe the car has wifi or hotspot but I am not sure - Is it important? Specially since the data is already on the phone?

Hope that helps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the response.

Sorry I should have mentioned that the books are already downloaded to my samsung phone. The infotainment system is in an Audi.

I don't believe the car has wifi or hotspot but I am not sure - Is it important? Specially since the data is already on the phone?

Hope that helps.
Hi welcome to AC!
Data would be important due to the Infotainment system needs to connect , now you mentioned it's already downloaded to the phone can u download to infotainment system?
I ask because , I have AA wirelessly in my car and hotspot it to get YouTube, work Camera etc to work but I have a aftermarket infotainment system.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
Interesting - download to the infotainment system. I am new to AA, I didn't even realize it had its own storage. I have to look into that.

Thank you for the suggestion, and thank you for making the owner of the post - much appreciated.

At this point - I am almost tempted to disable AA on my phone and try to just use Bluetooth to steam audio into the car's system.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Your welcome!

Yes definitely look into that as different infotainment system have different functions , I use mine mainly hotspot from my phone for apps like camera's , YouTube etc.. I do use AA occasionally .

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
This morning I disabled Android Auto on my phone, and connected the car stereo to my phone using Bluetooth.

Same thing happened, I started Audible, then after a few minutes (2-3 minutes), the audio cuts off but the seconds tick away. Also I have a music player app on my phone (musicole) and that has no issues on AA. It can play back music for extended time.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This morning I disabled Android Auto on my phone, and connected the car stereo to my phone using Bluetooth.

Same thing happened, I started Audible, then after a few minutes (2-3 minutes), the audio cuts off but the seconds tick away. Also I have a music player app on my phone (musicole) and that has no issues on AA. It can play back music for extended time.
Try for the audible app unrestricted under battery where it's optimize

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
Try for the audible app unrestricted under battery where it's optimize

Sorry, I am not sure I am following -

On my phone > Apps > Audible > Manage Batter Usage I can see
* Allow background activity (is toggled on)
* If I click on Optimize Battery Usage I see that it is also toggled on for Audible.

If I toggle off Optimize Batter Usage, then Background activity will automatically toggle off

Could you pls let me know if you meant I should turn off background activity.

I also noticed that Android Auto (on my phone) had the same settings (Allow Background Activity is toggled on & optimize battery usage is also toggled on).

In the mean time, I'm going to google these settings to understand what they actually mean.

Thanks for pointing it out

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I am not sure I am following -

On my phone > Apps > Audible > Manage Batter Usage I can see
* Allow background activity (is toggled on)
* If I click on Optimize Battery Usage I see that it is also toggled on for Audible.

If I toggle off Optimize Batter Usage, then Background activity will automatically toggle off

Could you pls let me know if you meant I should turn off background activity.

I also noticed that Android Auto (on my phone) had the same settings (Allow Background Activity is toggled on & optimize battery usage is also toggled on).

In the mean time, I'm going to google these settings to understand what they actually mean.

Thanks for pointing it out
No problem if u long press that app then tap info>tap battery , here a example of one in my screenshot, You mention it was set to battery optimize? Screenshot_20230322_085731_Settings.jpg

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
No problem if u long press that app then tap info>tap battery , here a example of one in my screenshot, You mention it was set to battery optimize? View attachment 352377

Thank you. I am attaching a few screenshots hope it helps.

* Currently my Android Auto's Battery is set up as follows (AndroidAuto.png) androidAuto.png
* Originally my Audible App was also set the same way
* After reading your original post, I changed my Audible App and now it is as follows (audible.png)
audible.png
* Yesterday, I had no interruptions in playback, it was stable!

I hope the stability is due to the configuration changes and not just some random event.

I have 2 questions:
1-Did I understand your original post, and did I set up Audible the way you had suggested?
2-I find the descriptions of this configuration setting very counter-intuitive, why would disabling background-activity make it more stable?

Thanks again!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes it's configured correctly like I mentioned , disabling background activity wouldn't help in your situation and keep it to allowed and yes these settings are pain to find lol.
Welcome

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen to mine a couple of times to when listening to an audiobook via Android Auto. Dumb question... have you restarted your phone when this happens? When I have had the issue, I've checked all settings in the Apps and could never figure out what's happened.... but a restart and cache refresh got it working again. Seems that some behind the scenes Android Auto tweaks tend to gum things up from what I can surmise.

Reactions: mustang7757

baba2

Mar 19, 2023
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind help & attention.

I do not understand this but ever since I
  • disabled Allow background activity
  • disabled Optimize battery usage
For Audible it seems to be solid.

I find that strange and counter intuitive - does that make sense to you guys?

I wonder if something else contributed to the stability.