Android Auto first impressions thread (and ask us anything!)

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am looking into getting a new system installed in a 2014 Honda CRV. The honda system is absolutely horrible. With the announcement of AA I assumed I'd get either the Pioneer or Kenwood since I have a VZW S5 but reading these forums that doesn't seem like it's going to work 100%. Here are a few questions for those who might know:

1) if AA isn't working, can I use an HDMI/MHL and do a screen mirror?
2) will these units be upgraded with firmware or should I wait for a second generation for any fixes that might come down the line
3) if you have the parking brake overridden, can you watch things like youtube or netflix? I wanted to have that for the kids in the back seat and was part of the reason I was going to get something with screen mirroring.

VZW S5 now works 100%. The security policy update fixed it all.

1) A complete screen mirror is possible with a Pioneer AppRadio headunit (like the 4100NEX) and an app called ARUnchained, but that requires root, which is very difficult for the VZW S5. I have heard that there could be a jailbreak of the Honda system available, but I am not sure. Kenwood units with HDMI also have a degree of screen mirroring, but I don't have much info on that.

2) not sure what the firmware update is intended to accomplish.

3) On a Pioneer unit, yes. However, you would need to use either ARUnchained or the HDMI input (you would need to control everything from the phone in this case).

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DR.

For the firmware update, I'm not talking about anything specific. I just mean is this unit going to be up to date for a while.

Getting root would be difficult but not impossible. I've rooted other phones in the past but with the S5 haven't really wanted to bother with it.

Thanks for the answers.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks DR.

For the firmware update, I'm not talking about anything specific. I just mean is this unit going to be up to date for a while.

Getting root would be difficult but not impossible. I've rooted other phones in the past but with the S5 haven't really wanted to bother with it.

Thanks for the answers.

If your intent is to use CarPlay or Android Auto, those system's updates would come from Apple and Google respectively, not from the HU. If the HU runs either of those two, it will continue to do so.

Also, some more information on the Kenwood mirroring: 2014 Kenwood models with HDMI input offer full Smartphone mirroring (either Apple or Android) without root. (as designed, this feature is only supposed to be engaged with parking brake on, but this is easily bypassed).

Compatible models: DNN991HD, DNX891HD, DDX8901HD, DNX771HD, DDX7701HD, DNX691HD, DDX5901HD, and DNX571HD.

DNX and DNN models also offer built in Garmin NAV, if you are interested.

Also, the new DDX9702S and DDX9902S will have both MHL/HDMI full mirroring as well as CarPlay and Android Auto. Only one USB port, however, so keep this in mind. The PDF of the manual was just released.

Last edited:

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Some real first impressions, now that I've got the core stuff working:

- Voice control for navigation, text message (sending), and even Google Play Music works as intended. Really like it for the first two options. I was using Samsung's standard "Messages" app for SMS, and AA successfully sent the message I dictated through the stereo.

- Google Maps is very nice; love the traffic option. The street name calls from the Google Narrator leave a bit to be desired; some of those readings are plain awkward. However, using a Google voice command to find something as general as a supermarket when you are in a location you've never been to is worth the price of admission. I also like that you have the option to actually type the destination if you so please.

I agree with those who would want Waze as an alternative; maybe it will be here in the future, since Google owns it, but who knows. I have a feeling their interface doesn't play too nice with the intended design of Android Auto. For now, if you want to use Waze through your car, I would best suggest one of the Kenwood head units listed above in conjunction with their full/true mirroring control. Pioneer's Smartphone control via HDMI/AppRadio is rubbish for the most part. To have the control most users want here, you will 1) need to root 2) pay up for an app that gets through all the BS. I don't know how Kenwood did this w/o root, but if you want a full mirror alternative, go for one of their 2014 head units. The 9702S/9902S may have the same AND AA/CarPlay to choose from.

- The "home screen" isn't showing much to me besides the weather and places I've driven lately, and I believe this might be because notification access to Android Auto keeps getting reset. If you're on a Samsung phone, and you have these issues outside of AA (say, with Android Wear or Pebble devices), you might have to manually set the permissions for AA in Sound/Notification options in Settings. I haven't gotten a text message yet.

- Phone control is great for one reason, the ability to MUTE without touching your phone. Every single head unit I've had with Bluetooth phone controls omits this feature for some odd reason. If you've used Google Now as your voice control to find a contact, you can do that for the phone controls here. There is no contact browsing, but you do have recent call history which (for me) is easy enough. There's also a soft dialer available, which is nice for conference calls that force you to use dial-in codes, etc. Or just to dial a number you know.

However, unless the latest AA update fixed this, if you're in a call before you connect to AA, it won't resume while in AA. On the Pioneer, their Bluetooth controls take over and they don't translate to AA. However, if you plug in the phone before a call, AA's phone control supersedes that of Pioneer's, which is a neat feature.

- and now on to Music. I imagine this is adequate for many users, but this is where AA falls flat for me. Forced to use voice commands to go through the library, no seek/rewind functions while in a track, just this basic "control" of your music library reminds me of the first implementation of Bluetooth Audio in car stereos. Google is going to be stubborn about menu browsing and whatnot, which means that I'll stick to using my phone for downloaded podcasts only and cling as tightly to my iPod as possible. Hopefully enough people complain about this to get them to make a better UI or more "freedom" of control.

Pioneer's iPod (and even Bluetooth controls in some cases) are miles above this. Google needs to take a page from Apple and make this more usable.

(I also think that Google Play Music needs to make their menus browsable via Bluetooth as well, so when we're not using AA we can get a good music-browsing experience, but meh...)

So here it is.
Best parts of AA are basically everything except the Music controls and especially Google Maps, which is why I wanted it in the first place.

I got the 8100NEX, and AA integrates pretty much well with Pioneer's UI. It works together with it, rather than letting it do its own thing. I like the ability to use an iPod while in AA, and Pioneer's iPod control (absent the way A-Z search is implemented; that is not really safe for driving) is VASTLY superior to any other I've used. I also like they have physical buttons for track back/forward that when held, can fast forward and rewind. This translates nicely to the steering wheel (with the proper adapter). The sheer connectivity of this HU is out of sight for non-smartphone use. Doing some routine things are just easy. However, if you have any Pioneer head unit, CarPlay or Android Auto is the best way to get the most out of your phone while driving; AppRadio might as well put a "CR" prefix before its name, MirrorLink is DOA, and HDMI "control" is toilet. Kenwood units offer more in that arena.

I hope the OEM implementation of this includes more than one USB port where it's used over time. I don't think I'm ready to use the phone for everything.

Most of all, AA needs to SCRAP the requirement that you be "parked" or be more open about how that is implemented to get it set up. Besides phone compatibility, this was the most frustrating part of the process. I don't think Apple users need to worry about this with CarPlay, and this is a case of Google being way too "safe".

Last edited:

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
So if I can have full mirroring of the phone why would I want Android Auto? Wouldn't I be limited with AA vs. mirroring in terms of apps? If I am mirroring, can I make all selections from the touchscreen of the unit or I have to do everything through the phone?

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Also, with the kenwoods having only one USB, that means the phone and iPod can't be used at the same time or is there a separate HDMI port?

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Also, with the kenwoods having only one USB, that means the phone and iPod can't be used at the same time or is there a separate HDMI port?

I do believe in Kenwoods with a single USB, the Phone and iPods should not be able to be used at the same time. But there is an HDMI port on these units, which means if you want to use iPod for music you will forego Android Auto and use MHL/HDMI for smartphone stuff instead. (If you go this route you can actually use Waze).

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
So if I can have full mirroring of the phone why would I want Android Auto? Wouldn't I be limited with AA vs. mirroring in terms of apps? If I am mirroring, can I make all selections from the touchscreen of the unit or I have to do everything through the phone?

In Kenwood's implementation on 2014 units, you can do everything from the unit's touchscreen. (and the motion restriction can be bypassed on installation). There are some Youtube videos that show this being demonstrated. As the 9902S/9702S have no real information out on them aside from the manual I posted, it's not completely confirmed that this functionality carried over completely, however, Kenwood is slow to update these things (took them forever to get off the proprietary method for iPod). It should be noted that if you are using a S6 or newer phone, you might need to look into an MHL 3.0 adapter for those devices.

As for why you'd want Android Auto, it's all about the UI. It's optimized for the car, and aside from all the nags and nannying, and (IMO) toilet Music implementation, it's a simple way to get what you need from the phone in the car.

But if you want full mirror, get one of the 2014 Kenwood units:

DNN991HD, DNX891HD, DDX8901HD, DNX771HD, DDX7701HD, DNX691HD, DDX5901HD, and DNX571HD

The 991HD is comparable to the 8000NEX, with 2 USB units, onboard NAV, and the HDMI input required for a full mirror. So you could feasibly have an iPod and the Phone connected. However, there isn't an equivalent to the 8100NEX with the CarPlay/Android Auto capability yet.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I thought I really wanted full mirroring but it's really not necessary and would probably get me in an accident lol. After using AA it does everything I would want it to while driving. It would be nice to have other apps while stopped but I rarely just hang out in my car when I'm stopped.

Use AA for awhile and you will realize it's not easy just pushing one button and scrolling while driving and staying focused on the road.

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
After looking through the wiring specs and thinking about the one USB input, could you run a USB cable to a splitter and get more then one? Mainly I'm thinking about having an iPod lightning connection as well as a micro-usb for the phone so I could easily switch them. Otherwise how would I have both?

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I really wanted full mirroring but it's really not necessary and would probably get me in an accident lol. After using AA it does everything I would want it to while driving. It would be nice to have other apps while stopped but I rarely just hang out in my car when I'm stopped.

Use AA for awhile and you will realize it's not easy just pushing one button and scrolling while driving and staying focused on the road.

There are a lot of apps that aren't AA ready yet that would be a lot easier to use through mirroring. It seems like AA is mainly for maps and calls.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
After looking through the wiring specs and thinking about the one USB input, could you run a USB cable to a splitter and get more then one? Mainly I'm thinking about having an iPod lightning connection as well as a micro-usb for the phone so I could easily switch them. Otherwise how would I have both?

Likely, that isn't supported. I know it was kind of iffy for the older Kenwood models.
Though again, if you go with a Kenwood from 2014 that has 2x USB, you probably won't have that issue. The official info on the new HUs really isn't out there, I've had to go Googling for it. It's already June and we were supposed to have pricing and everything by now.

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm the only thing i would suggest is to make sure your are using a samsung micro USB cable that came with the phone and that the head unit has the updated firmware. Mine is 1.03.
Using the cable that came with the HU. Yep, I'm on 1.03 as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174