Android Wear 2.0 - Anyone Receive the Update Yet?

iPaulus

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
Quite disappointed with LG really. It seemed that they worked so close with Android and even launched the 2 first watches with2.0 and now seems to be behind everybody else...

Psuboy

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Quite disappointed with LG really. It seemed that they worked so close with Android and even launched the 2 first watches with2.0 and now seems to be behind everybody else...

Same with Huawei. I think the manufactures are more focused with generating revenue by selling new watches. Updating the existing watches don't generate any revenue for them. I get that from a business standpoint. From a consumer standpoint I don't want a device that is really slow to or does not upgrade to the latest version of OS. I have a Nexus(soon Pixel) phone for this very reason. If a base device is available I would make that my next wear purchase when it is time to replace my Huawei watch.

Day 24 and no update but it looks like it is rolling out now.

Darrell Caldwell

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I remember when the update came out that activated the (at that time) hidden WiFi capability on many Wear Models. I bought the Urbane and loved it but remember how LG delayed the rollout for the LG Watch R that immediately preceded it and even when they did the WiFi feature was disabled because the Watch R chipset had some weird incompatibility and maybe would get an update later on if the issues could be resolved.

It eventually got official WiFi support several months later. But before that, some guy or group at XDA Developers had hacked the Urbanes WiFi support and found, unsurprisingly, the G Watch R and Urbane internals were nearly identical if not identical and released their own enabler well before LG. In other words, there was nothing preventing the Watch R running the full update when it came out other than LG not wanting to impact sales of their shiny new first Urbane. Perhaps understandable from a business viewpoint - except to all the Watch R purchasers who were advertised a future proof device with WiFi onboard for when Wear supported it.

That's what I find sleazy - manipulating your own customer base to buy more of your products when what you already paid for is perfectly good and part of the reason it was purchased to start with was the promise of future proofness. I went with a Huawei for my next watch, and tho I have 2.0 from the Dev Preview, there's no way I'd buy the uninspiring follow up Huawei Watch 2 with its teeny screen and even bigger case (even the LTE lacking Classic!). So much for Huawei being the new star. Googles own vendors are partly what's wrong with Wear gaining wider acceptance from shady practices to lackluster models!

iPaulus

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I think Darrell said what All who owns an Urbane are thinking. I wished LG could realise that their costumers are not as stupid as they think we are. I thought the best advert for a company was someone who owns their product speaking well about it to others. People see my watch; they ask about it... how can I speak well of it?

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I think Darrell said what All who owns an Urbane are thinking. I wished LG could realise that their costumers are not as stupid as they think we are. I thought the best advert for a company was someone who owns their product speaking well about it to others. People see my watch; they ask about it... how can I speak well of it?

Couldn't agree more I bought an imported Urbane 2nd Edition. I had some issues at the start and LG refused to help as it's not on sale in the UK. Still waiting on wear 2.0 and LG won't even offer any dates

iPaulus

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I contacted LG again to hear if there were any other news... this is what I heard.

Hi there

Thank you for your email.
I hope you are well.

In regards to this, unfortunately we do not receive any information on updates before they are released and so in this case we would be unable to suggest whether it will be receiving this.

We have queried this with our Software Development team however we have not yet received an answer and it's unlikely that this will be a primary objective for them as they will likely want to test the Android Wear 2.0 Software on the new LG Watch Sport due for release in the coming weeks.

At this stage, my best suggestion would be to keep an eye out for any updates that may head your way and hopefully this does come available to you.

I apologise for not being able to be more specific about this and for any inconvenience caused.

Should you need any more assistance, you can reply to this email by clicking the additional questions link at the bottom of this email.

Thank you in advance.

Psuboy

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I just saw a Twitter post from Huawei that said wear 2 is coming end of March. It is listed on www.androidpit.com. I have a Pixel XL supposed to be shipped March 21-23. Ordered it Feb 10th. I am anxious to see which gets here first. :). My $ are on the Pixel. 32 days and still waiting. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo