Anker Astro 5600 mAh External Battery Charger Causes Overheating in HTC One

mkochsch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Connect my wife's one-week-old HTC One phone to my week old Anker Astro 5600 mAh external battery charger. We were out at an event and she was down to four per cent (4%) battery. She plugged in and tucked the whole thing into her bag we checked it about a half hour later. It had charged about to about 50 or 60 per cent, but it was very hot to the touch (more than just "warm" more like holding a hot coffee cup) and when we turned on the screen we read the following message:

"The power adapter you connected is not compatible. To avoid damaging your phone, please disconnect it now. Be sure that you only use manufacturer-supplied power adapters with your phone." With an "OK" button at the bottom of this dialogue.

Anker is a pretty ubiquitous name in chargers. I've used this charger on my Samsung Galaxy Note II with no problems, also on a couple of other devices without problems. The Anker charger is only a 1 amp output, the wall plug charger that comes with the phone has 2 (actually 1) Amp(s) of power output for the devices it charges. The HTC One phone is "stock" (not modified in any way what-so-ever.) The phone is so new that I don't think any games have even been loaded on it yet.
I also noticed that when I plug the phone into the Anker external battery that the HTC One's battery indicator starts to quickly flash the lightning bolt inside the battery icon about eight or nine times before it flashes the warning message and eventually settles down to charge.
Odd behaviour.
Immediately after the overheating incident I unplugged the Anker external battery and rebooted the phone. No problems since then. I have a laser/infrared thermometer and it shows that normal charging temperature seems to be around 28-30 when running and charging, and usually a few degrees colder when the HTC One phone has been turned off and is charging.

Last edited:

mkochsch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When you plug into your external Anker charger does the lightning bolt flash really quickly like I described? It's very different than when you plug it into the wall charger.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
No, it looks like I'm using a regular charger. And I've never seen the warning about the charger being bad for my phone pop up.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

outlawz89

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
"The power adapter you connected is not compatible. To avoid damaging your phone, please disconnect it now. Be sure that you only use manufacturer-supplied power adapters with your phone." With an "OK" button at the bottom of this dialogue.

I have exact same charger as you and get that message too. Should I be worried guys? cause I've been ignoring it lol.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I do not see this with an Unu 5000mAh charger for what that's worth. It must just be the one charger. Maybe call Anker and see what they say, maybe they are a recall?

mkochsch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not see this with an Unu 5000mAh charger for what that's worth. It must just be the one charger. Maybe call Anker and see what they say, maybe they are a recall?

Anker support says the Anker Astro 5600 might be incompatible with the HTC One, or the charger unit I have might be defective. They have offered to replace it. Investigation is ongoing. I definitely won't be plugging it back in to the Anker 5600 as battery replacement on the HTC One is impossible.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mkochsch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've used my Anker 5600 a bunch of times on my HTC One and have had no issues...

Maybe I've got a slightly defective Anker unit. What update to the HTC rom are you running? Android 4.1.2 Sense 5.0 and Software 1.29.631.17
Kernel 3.4.10?g7db88a0

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

ValYooNeek

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased an external charger (mycharge 6000mah rugged power bank) from shophq.com ($43.00) to charge my galaxy note 10.1 when on the go. It can charge three devices at once using the electronic item own usb cable. It has attached it own ac charger pronges...the charger plugs into any wall unit to recharge itself. My question to anyone that can answer it: do the device have to be off to recharge it or can you use it while it charges?

Nikie Lima

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You should contact their customer service and see if they'd exchange one for you. I've faced the same when I used their 1000mAh with my S3. Now I moved to a RavPower 14000mAh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoverSpike