Any instructions on putting Gingerbread on your Droid 2

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure there is an official change log that you can see for v2.6.1, but its big enought to go from v2.5.7 to v2.6.X. Not to mention i skipped straight from 2.4.X to 2.6.1. So i cant even really tell you how awesome 2.5.7 is except for less than 2.6.1 and more than 2.4.X. I don't know what the hold up on public release v2.6.1 is? Its definitely stable enough.

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Ill take your specific instructions.

I donated to the dev, so i have access to the FRM full instead of the FRM lite that you can get at Team DeFuse. It is the ultimate Fission ROM modifier. Much like the Liberty Toolbox for Liberty 1.5, but it allows you to get all of the beta stuff like CyanogenMod nightlies.

I recommended supporting TeamDefuse so we can make our D2's better, but if you are extremely cheap i may look for a way to strip out my fission 2.6.1 for you. I may wipe data and cache and just post up my backup so you can restore it with ROM Manager. I like Fission a lot, its a super solid ROM.

If you wanna get specific instructions feel free to PM me, grab me on FB, Twitter, or GTalk.

Cory,

Ill take your specific instructions. Sorry can't PM you yet (not enough post) don't have facebook or twitter. I have Gtalk but don't know your email to invite you. If you can PM me that would be great.

Thanks,

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I might as well just put it all in this thread so that anyone that needs the information can follow the instructions. Tell me the current condition of your device? rooted? bootstrapped? backup already made?

Note: I will only do this public release for fission v2.6.1
The dev has been absent for a little bit because he just got engaged. I will also be taking down the link for this Backup if anyone from Team Defuse requests.

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Cory,

I have it rooted, and installed ROM Manager Premium V3.0.1.3 from Droid Market after that thru ROM Manager I Flashed ClockworkMod Recovery, and did a current backup of my ROM. Other than that I have not done anthing else to the phone.

Thanks,

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
yeah i had it all typed up and my computer crashed, so i have to start over. this time its going to be a little more express list.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
This is not a traditional way of putting a ROM on your device
I am not liable to any damage you do to you device, but i will try and help if you bork one of the instructions
If anyone from Team Defuse requests that i take this down, i will do so promptly as this is not an official release. The dev's have just slowed down recently because Angdroid just got engaged.
note: I removed Fission ROM Manager Full so you will have to go to download FRMlite

Getting the files:
1) Download this file from megaupload: FissionROM_v2.6.1_(honeycomb_ beta_III)
2) Extract the "Extract_this_folder.zip" to somewhere you remember.
3) open the extracted Extract_this_folder
4) Copy the "FissionROMv2.6.1(Honeycomb_BETA_III) exactly as it is to ClockworkMod/Backup/ on your Droid 2 SDcard.

note: these next steps will delete all of your applications, so if you're worried about data or settings do a Backup or use titanium backup. (if that link doesn't work just search for "backup" in the Droid 2 ROMs and Hacks section)

INSTALLING the Backup
Must haves: Droid 2 Bootstrap enabled, ROM Manager

1) Open ROM Manager
2) Reboot into recovery (Give permissions if you haven't already)
3) wipe data/factory reset (hope you did your backup)
4) wipe cache partition
5) advanced
6) wipe dalvik
7) press power button to return to main menu
8) mounts and storage
9) mount /system
10) mount /data
11) hit power button
12) backup and restore
13) restore
14) choose "FissionROMv2.6.1(honeycomb_BETA_III)" if you did the getting files steps incorrectly you wont see the backup here
15) let run till finished
16) hit power button if no options are visible or to return to the main menu
17) wipe data/factory reset
if you skip step 17), ROM Manager, Droid 2 Bootstrap, Droid X Bootstrap, Root Explorer will come pre-installed. Be sure to uninstall Droid X Bootstrap as it will not work correctly with the droid 2.
18) wipe cache partition
19) reboot system now

Reactions: dash1828

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
MD5 mismatch???

After the step of restoring I keep getting this MD5 mismatch message. I ignored it at first whent thru with the restart but my phone still had the Froyo.. I am able to see the file Fission 2.6.1 and select it but again that message MD5 mismatch.. Any ideas how to get passed this?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I believe you still have fission v2.6.1, but their is not a chance that you'll be able the correct the MD5 mismatch. That is super high intensity encryption. Even worse than motorola's bootloader crap. This is only a temporary test of fission v2.6.1 anyway. So if you are adament about resolving that, just restore your backup that you made first.
sent from my Motorola DROID X / DROID 2

dash1828

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Cory..My phone is fine I restored it last night. I was reading about this Md5 mismatch and some of the stuff I read was talking about doing a rename of the file name nandroid.md5 but you have to do it thru a type of shell program that I don't have. These are some of the things i tried to see if it would fix the problem. First I tried to replace the file with the same file from my good backup of froyo but got the same result. At the point where Cory recommended to change mount data and mount system I tried with switching them to unmount since mine already said mount and also tried them with leaving them as mount and either way I got the same result. I am open to any ideas.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Droid X and Droid 2 get leaked Gingerbread builds with updated MotoBlur:
http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-and-droid-2-get-leaked-gingerbread-builds-updated-motoblur

SOURCE AND INSTRUCTIONS: Droid 2 Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release Thread

Download and Install Instructions

Installing Firmware

1. Download this file from the TBH app or download below
2. Use Bootstrap to get your phone into recovery.
3. Create a backup (This is not compatible with new firmware)
4. Install the Firmware using recovery
1. select install zip from sdcard
2. choose zip from sdcard
3. navigate to teamblackhat folder
4. select the file you downloaded
5. Restart phone
6. Re-activate your phone
1. dial *228
2. select 1

If your phone bootloops you need to wipe data to enter recovery:

1. hold down x and power button
2. when you see the triangle hold down both volume buttons
3. select wipe data/factory reset ---press power button to select
4, reboot system

If your phone asks you to select/create an account

1. press the home button
2. go to accounts (you may be sent there automatically)
3. select done

md5sum = 66bed1c9d358d29ade3df2d4d37910c0

Download Mirrors

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

http://www.multiupload.com/RS_7X2TPSIFDA

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Deposit Files

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: Monster_D2_2.3.2_4.5.153.zip

zSHARE - Monster_D2_2.3.2_4.5.153.zip - Free File Hosting Service | Audio and Video Sharing | Image Uploading | Web storage

Download Monster_D2_2.3.2_4.5.153.zip for free on uploading.com

1) This build has not been able to be rooted, this is not unexpected as we have not been able to root any of the other versions of Gingerbread that we have.

2) I am working on a solution so that when you do get this you will have root. (community will work on it now)

3) You can sbf the 2.3.20 zip file from TBH to get back to stock to take the update whenever verizon pushes it out.

4) YOU WILL NEED TO ERASE YOUR DATA IF YOU BOOTLOOP.

Firmware will be released as a flashable zip file (sbf flashed to phone through bootstrap recovery). No sbf file will be made available.

Last edited by p3droid; 03-27-2011 at 07:24 PM.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
take extreme note that you will lose root at the moment if you flash these. You can always SBF back to 2.3.20, but then you'll have to reroot your 2.3.20 build and then restore your backup.

I'm super excited about this though, as ROM devs like Fission and Liberty now have a Gingerbread build to base their ROMs off of.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Running it right now I really like the new blur but im waiting on someone to root it. What I don't like is the small font everything looks downsized but then again im used to the fascinate

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna try to do this tonight after work. I read on the forum from the source link that some people had an issue that the volume was low when they were using speaker phone. Did you experience that also?

Any other points of interest so far?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
when you go to the market on the new Gingerbread build can you find google car home? or are you stuck with the blur CarDock.apk

I have since installed and report back that the car home is not available in the market. But i have a copy hidden away in my dropbox if anyone wants it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz