Anybody move from a 10' tablet too the Nexus 7?

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a Motorola Xoom which was the first Android tablet that was released and its a 10 inch monster.

The Xoom is begining too show its age and is lagging everywhere but the build quality of the device and the card slot/hdmi port are hard too match in current day tablets.

The nexus 7 has spurred my interest but I don't know if it is too small. My sister has the original nexus 7 and swears by the 7 inch form factor but I am not sure. I mainly browse the web, stream video and play games.

Has anybody switched or regretted the switch from a bigger tab to the nexus 7?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

44Stretch

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the Xoom for over two years and recently purchased the new Nexus 7. I did have reservations about the reduced size. However, after about 10 minutes I could care less and haven't picked up the Xoom once, except to set it up for my wife. I absolutely love the size! I use it for browsing the web and watching videos, I'm not much of gamer. It's not too small and I use it one handed. Go for the new N7, you won't regret it!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Motorola Xoom which was the first Android tablet that was released and its a 10 inch monster.

The Xoom is begining too show its age and is lagging everywhere but the build quality of the device and the card slot/hdmi port are hard too match in current day tablets.

The nexus 7 has spurred my interest but I don't know if it is too small. My sister has the original nexus 7 and swears by the 7 inch form factor but I am not sure. I mainly browse the web, stream video and play games.

Has anybody switched or regretted the switch from a bigger tab to the nexus 7?

Are you over 40? - The text will be too small without using reading glasses.

Are you using it in a car as a GPS or music player? Are you going to carry it around like a daily planner? - It's just the right size.

Are you going to bike or jog with it, use it as a phone, or take pictures with it? - It's too big to pop in and out of your pocket.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I use a full sized iPad along with a 2013 Nexus 7. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I found that the larger tablet is great for using on the couch or in bed, but it's big enough that I tend to avoid taking it out unless I have a specific purpose for it. The Nexus 7 is small and light enough to put into a bag or jacket pocket. I find 7" to be the perfect size for streaming video and playing games. The only thing that it's not as good at is web browsing. Due to it's size, it's easier to read if you browse in landscape, but when you do that, you end up scrolling more frequently.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an older 10 inch tablet as well, an Acer A500 but I rarely use it all now that I have my Nexus 7. At first the screen seemed a little cramped compared to the A500 but the screen on the Nexus is so much better it wasn't hard at all to adjust. The higher resolution makes up for it, movies look great and I actually find it easier to play games on the 7 because my fingers can reach all the onscreen buttons. Text is easy to read, I always use it for my web browsing because I can use it with one hand. And it's smaller size makes it a lot more portable in my opinion. Without a case it fits snugly in my pocket.

The only thing I miss is the full size USB port to plug in my controllers but it was a rare feature on a tablet as it was. All in all I really like the Nexus and my A500 usually sits around collecting dust now. I recommend the Nexus 7 to everyone I know, I don't think you'll regret buying one.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I still use my Xoom daily but like you felt it was showing its age and decided to get the N7 at release and love it. Reading text from the browser is much easier than on Xoom. I look at the same webpages on Xoom and its painfully apparent. The difference in weight and increased portability is significant as well. This can fit in my front or back pockets easily.

I don't feel near the geek when I whip the N7 out in public to browse the web or take a picture as I do with the Xoom.

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just sold my Ipad 4 and bought the Nexus 7. I am 50 and I was worried about everything be small but it has been just fine. It's also so much easier carrying around this tablet. I do use Zinio magazines and even that's not as bad as I thought. I do have to zoom some but its worth the payoff. I would suggest buying the Nexus someplace that it is easy to return if you don't like it.
My guess is that you will love it. I have had 4-5 high end Android Tablets and this is by far the best one I have had.

flugelboy

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
My first tablet was the Asus 10" Transformer. I also had the keyboard attachment. I was skeptical about how much I would like the N7, but I love it. I read magazines, listen to music, play games, etc etc. It's all been great. The text hasn't been too small for me in the magazines at all. Especially if you read the interactive magazine on Google Play. Those things are awesome. I don't miss my Transformer or the keyboard at all. The split screen keyboard on Swiftkey is pretty great on this tablet in landscape mode.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Are you using it in a car as a GPS or music player? Are you going to carry it around like a daily planner? - It's just the right size.

Are you going to bike or jog with it, use it as a phone, or take pictures with it? - It's too big to pop in and out of your pocket.

I am far from 40, only 17, I know someone will be wondering but I have paid for all my electronic devices myself through a summer job.
My S4 covers GPS and music player duty and the tablet will mainly be used at home and school in the future.

A tablet purchase in my opinion is a long term investment and should serve me 2 years or more as my xoom has served. The nexus 10 2013 is expected too be released soon and I will most likely wait until then too make my decision.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I sold my Acer Iconia W510 10.5" Windows 8 tablet and got the N7. The OS and hardware are another story, but I found the size too un-tablet like, for me, anyways. I like being able to hold it w/one hand. :)
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes I
Moved from
Samsung 10.1 to
Nexus 7

Sent from my Xolo_X900 using AC Forums mobile app

No opinions or any thing to add? Lol.

Anyways op if you really are unsure about it then maybe waiting for the newer Nexus 10 is a good idea. On the other hand if you were to buy a Nexus 7 you have 30 days to decide if you like it or want to return it.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and my daughter has an off brand 7" android tablet.

I don't mind the missing 3" if it's a true on the go device. I find the iPad too big and heavy to take on my business trips. Looking to buy a nexus 7 since its not as laggy and retarded as my kids tablet lol

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and my daughter has an off brand 7" android tablet.

I don't mind the missing 3" if it's a true on the go device. I find the iPad too big and heavy to take on my business trips. Looking to buy a nexus 7 since its not as laggy and retarded as my kids tablet lol

I struggle too understand how a tablet can be too heavy, I have and regularly use probably the heaviest tablet ever made. Couple that with a case and my Xoom probably weighs 5+ pounds and I have probably built up muscle in my wrists just from using the tablet and am now used to the weight.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For web browsing I prefer using the Nexus 10 because of the extra screen real estate, especially in portrait orientation. But if I had to have just one it would be the 7 inch. Much more portable and convenient.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Um, that totally depends on the individual's eyes. I'm 56 and have had no issues reading text on the Nexus 7 with my naked eyes. I am nearsighted, so I can't see anything clear further away, but am fine for no glasses reading with my tablets!

One can zoom in the web browser, and many apps have adjustments for font size. Using zoom, I can even read my magazine subscription on the Nexus 7 just fine, although that is one area where ill probably prefer the Nook, since I don't need zoom ion the Nook for magazines. I can read all settings menus on the Nexus fine.

The upshot is that I first bought the larger 9" Nook HD+ thinking a larger screen size would be nice and not being able to justify the cost of a Nexus 10, but practically abandoned it when the new Nexus 7 arrived. I'm only using now because of my Nexus 7 failing to boot, and needing to be returned to Google.

I prefer reading on the new Nexus, no pixels are visible in the text! Something I cannot say for the Nook HD+, though it is better than many tablets in that regard.

Sent from my Nook HD+

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Um, that totally depends on the individual's eyes. I'm 56 and have had no issues reading text on the Nexus 7 with my naked eyes. I am nearsighted, so I can't see anything clear further away, but am fine for no glasses reading with my tablets!

One can zoom in the web browser, and many apps have adjustments for font size. Using zoom, I can even read my magazine subscription on the Nexus 7 just fine, although that is one area where ill probably prefer the Nook, since I don't need zoom ion the Nook for magazines. I can read all settings menus on the Nexus fine.

The upshot is that I first bought the larger 9" Nook HD+ thinking a larger screen size would be nice and not being able to justify the cost of a Nexus 10, but practically abandoned it when the new Nexus 7 arrived. I'm only using now because of my Nexus 7 failing to boot, and needing to be returned to Google.

I prefer reading on the new Nexus, no pixels are visible in the text! Something I cannot say for the Nook HD+, though it is better than many tablets in that regard.

Sent from my Nook HD+

I should have said it would be too small for anyone with Presbyopia, which is very common for people in the early to mid 40s.
Presbyopia doesn't affect nearsighted people (like you and me, apparently) as much.
That's why I love the N7 - I can use it without my glasses. Did you know if you had laser surgery for nearsightedness, that you would probably be using reading glasses to read the N7 without zooming in? (At 56 anyway.) I'm well over 40, and if I have my contacts or glasses on, I have a terrible time seeing phones and tablets and such.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I should have said it would be too small for anyone with Presbyopia, which is very common for people in the early to mid 40s.
Presbyopia doesn't affect nearsighted people (like you and me, apparently) as much.
That's why I love the N7 - I can use it without my glasses. Did you know if you had laser surgery for nearsightedness, that you would probably be using reading glasses to read the N7 without zooming in? (At 56 anyway.) I'm well over 40, and if I have my contacts or glasses on, I have a terrible time seeing phones and tablets and such.

All I can say is so far, so good, don't use reading glasses for books, tablets or my phone. It's as well, because my normal prescription for driving doesn't hit what I need for the computer, so I have a separate prescription just for that. It would be bad if I needed three separate pairs of glasses!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582