Anyone coming across from Crackberry?

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Avid BB fan here but about to give up after 3 generations of the 'same ol' on their software. BB10 will struggle so ima make the switch to S3. Currently on 9900, 0S7.

Anyone else?

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Bro wait for BB10 I only got a droid cause my upgrade had been fermenting for a while. RIM needs your support now more than ever. I'm getting one off contract as soon as it hits the street. It'll be out in October you're almost there.

And FYI BB10 is miles ahead of current berry software, it's been in development for years. It will also include an android App player, so 2 for one. Blackberry is still the number one phone in the UK, and has 70 million users worldwide, they aren't going anywhere soon. and take a look at the BB blade, don't tell me that isn't sexy as hell.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Reactions: bitek

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I initially added the Galaxy Note to my BB9810 because I needed Skype and a few other things my BB wasn't giving me but was afraid to give up the BB entirely - afraid I would miss what I have come to rely on from Blackberry (email, physical keyboard, BBM, even the stupid led notice). I got the Gnote on launch day as a 2nd line figuring I would continue to use the BB as my primary phone. Well I can tell you that has changed. The GNote rocks, and Android gives you anything and everything you want to do with a smartphone on one platform. The SIMs have been switched and the GNote - huge size and all - is my primary phone. If RIM gives us the ability to use BBM natively on the Playbook - I will drop my BB phone altogether.

I am not saying it didn't take some tweaking of the phone with some apps (like NoLED for the notifications) and working on the phone to find the Android equivalents for things Blackberry I have come to like. The email is ActiveSync - the same as is on the PlayBook currently and pushes to my GNote as quickly as it does to my 9810, and with Exchange support syncs directly to my phone with Contacts and Calendar from my corp Outlook. SwiftKey 3 Beta has me rocking the on screen keypad (the new BB keyboard that has so much talk is based on the SwiftKey prediction machine or so I hear, doesn't surprise it really works well).

I have been so happy I made the move to Android in Feb. Just one man's experience shared.

Reactions: ynomrah and dadymon

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
9810 only uses blackberry 6.0, so no surprise you're ready to ditch it. Just don't give up on blackberry 10. The virtual keyboard is revolutionary. and the whole phone experience looks awesome.

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on BB when they foisted the Storm on me with no way out and no properly functioning phone no matter how many of them VZ gave me. The day I got rid of the BB and bought a used Droid 2 to finish my contract was one of the best days of my business life. I wish them well and I hope they make a comeback, but I can't see myself ever going back.

Reactions: zeteo

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
We're always going to welcome converts over here :)

However, BB10 will be a whole new experience. Don't judge it on current software

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

randall2580

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Crackberrytraitor - the 9800 has 6.0 and an underpowered processor. The 9810 runs the current BB flagship 7.1 (at least mine does I always keep the latest on mine) and has a better processor. What the 9810 does it does well, that was not true of the 9800 (I did own both).

That said RIM has not until now understood the need to get front facing cameras, Skype etc on this generation of phones. It's the reason I ran to Android after having every major BB since the 7520 old big blue Nextel baby. What BB does it does very well but it doesn't do enough any more.

Even the PlayBook which is stellar at what it does, still doesn't do many of the things I need a tablet to do - another reason to use the GNote. I hope for RIM's sake BB10 finally gets this and when they release it - it has the things on it people need to do. For me though, Android is where it is at, i see something I want to do - I can just do it. My GNote is a TOOL and a TOY - that's what RIM doesn't seem to understand, you can have both.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I came from Crackberry several years ago. I still hang out there at times, it's a cool site, but as far as my move from BB to Android, I've been very happy and never looked back. Welcome aboard!

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you too all for the warm wishes! I'm glad to be making the switch. Tbh I've been thinking of moving across to Android for a while, and the S3's "gimmicks", slim design and Touchwiz UI (not to mention ICS' open platform concept) has really made it an attractive choice!

@crackberrytraitor - I haven't so much as given up. Just going on a hiatus to see what's out there. I feel like I want to do more with my device right now but the limitations of the current BB OS is frustrating. I don't want to kill your enthusiasm, but I feel I should share my insight. I have a friend who works in RIM, and I've seen some videos of the BB10's capabilities and the first few devices to be released (with and without keyboard)... and I wasn't as impressed as I hoped I would be. Of course they were prototypes and alpha products, but I still feel more change is needed.

I do hope that RIM succeeds though. And I really do hope Thorsten "cleans up shop". I've heard nightmares about how slow devices take to migrate through departments in RIM, causing delays that they're so notorious for.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CrackBerry addict here:
http://forums.crackberry.com/members/jeffreii-444714/

My thoughts:

For me...I still love my BlackBerry Torch 9800 from 2 years ago. It's a solid phone albeit not the quickest. I rarely have to deal with any bugs and it just works.

That being said, I want something new and nothing from RIM is going to be exciting until the end of the year...and we don't even know if they're going to get their act together. The software/hardware is totally up in the air...though promising.

My upgrade came up too late for me to be interested in the Bold 9900 which is probably an awesome phone...I LOVED my Bold 9000. It's just...why buy one now with a QNX version (BB10) coming out later in the year?

I've always been interested in Android - and now it's evolved and matured - so now's my chance to dive in and see what I think. A year from now BlackBerry may be exciting again. We'll then see how much I enjoy Android...and whether or not BB can win me back.

BTW Windows Phone has my attention and interest...I was a big time WM 2006 user before BB got me. It needs to mature some though. Apple has no chance with me. None.

CrackBerry1526

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I used to use a blackberry. RIMM no longer has an advantage on anything anymore, BB10 has to be a major success for RIMM to make a comeback. but i doubt they are going to be able to "wow" anyone. People are hoping BB10 become a ground breaking revolution in technology which is going to end up in dissapointment, like any other hyped product or software.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Bro wait for BB10 I only got a droid cause my upgrade had been fermenting for a while. RIM needs your support now more than ever. I'm getting one off contract as soon as it hits the street. It'll be out in October you're almost there.

And FYI BB10 is miles ahead of current berry software, it's been in development for years. It will also include an android App player, so 2 for one. Blackberry is still the number one phone in the UK, and has 70 million users worldwide, they aren't going anywhere soon. and take a look at the BB blade, don't tell me that isn't sexy as hell.

[URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/189/blackberryblade.jpg]Click to view quoted image
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You have iOS, Android, Windows. All do the same things overall just at different speeds and in different forms. Blackberry 10 seems kind of unoriginal and like its taking a good bit of design from Android, especially with the app player thingy. That device is sexy though and I've always wondered why the front cameras arent as good as the back ones. lol

weezul

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Count me in, 2 years with a 9000, 2 years with a 9800. Had a cheap android tab since christmas to ease the transition and I AM READY!!

I will come back to BB after that, but honestly the keyboard was my favorite feature of their phones and the new one not having a keyboard means i'd be playing the waiting game for even longer. I'm also a musician and apps like iRealBook, TouchWiz etc are very appealing to me

The_Finja

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm new here and have been researching the s3 for a couple of weeks now. Honestly, I like what I'm seeing in the s3. I've had 6 different blackberries in the last few years and switched to an iphone 4 when it came out, (went back to bb because I couldn't last half a day with the battery), and loved it. The s3 with the removable battery will suit me perfectly with lots of apps and "toys". My provider keeps trying to sell me on the HTC but I can't swap out the battery. I can't wait until it's released in Canada.

islandguy808

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I started with a bb 8100, then the 9000 (which i loved) and now the Torch (which I hate). I can not wait to get rid of it! The last straw was when AT&T (or who ever is responsible for the release) took so long to release the 9900 Bold. By the time they did release it I already made up my mind I'd go with an android phone. I just don't feel RIM is being innovative anymore....so sad.

So yeah I've been waiting a long time for this!!

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Avid BB fan here but about to give up after 3 generations of the 'same ol' on their software. BB10 will struggle so ima make the switch to S3. Currently on 9900, 0S7.

Anyone else?

I am currently considering the same transition after owning BB since 2006. I will however have my work 9900 to keep my foot in the other pool.

USCTrojan4JC

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Got my T-Mobile BB Bold 9780 right before Thanksgiving 2010. I'm looking forward to getting rid of it for the S3. My main concern is how well I'll be able to type on the touchscreen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac