Anyone else disappointed by the Nexus 9?

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
was hoping for wireless charging. not interested now.

my plan is now to wait a bit for someone to not pay their bill on a Nexus 6, and buy one with a bad ESN on ebay, and use the 6 as my tablet.:)

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Not disappointed, but very curious to see hands on impressions on the screen and battery life. The Shield has good battery life so I presume this will as well, people are upset about the ram but again lets wait and see. I am sure google and HTC thought this out well in conjunction with the 64bit processor , and 5.0 maybe 2gb will be ample.

Has the price been confirmed at 399? That to me is a little steep but I will still end up getting one

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
It's a decent upgrade but not a great one. Their are some intensive games that seem to leave my N7 slightly sluggish after a long gaming session until a reboot.
The problem is that I don't know for sure until I try the N9 for myself whether 3GB vs 2 RAM would solve this because it has a better CPU than the N7.

The other thing that really ticks me off is the low pixel density. My eyesight gets buggy already reading books on my N7 which has a great pixel count. How much worse will a lower pixel count render ebook text on the N9?
I think the only way I'm going to get my answers will be to buy the N9 no matter what I read about it and put it through a good side by side comparison during the 2 week return window.

TheIowaKid

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with you here. Im hoping Jerry talks about the processor today on their podcast and can maybe set the record straight for us all. I dont want to have to charge a tablet throughout the day like a phone. I want it to last days.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Jerry maybe able to shed a little insight on the processor but I think without actually having a review unit in hand with final release software it will be hard to comment on.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
There are a few hands-on videos on YouTube. The N9 looks pretty snappy & responsive in those.

Posted via Android Central App

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Transition between landscape and portrait seems slow on one of the videos I saw.
That's more of an android problem unfortunately. I can't remember the exact technical explanation anymore but it has something to do with the way android handles screen orientation changes by calling up a full redraw every time you do it. iOS in a side by side comparison handles this differently and noticeably faster on tablets.

djm7541

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
If it was a ten inch 4:3 screen, with the same CPU and GPU, then I would be really enthusiastic about it. But even so, even if I am already happy with my Nexus 10, I am going to buy this Nexus 9, I think. But then when I realize there will soon be Broadwell / Intel Core M machines coming out, I wonder if I should hang on to my money. Apple iPads don't interest me, because the file system on the iPads is hidden, and unaccesible, but maybe a Core M with Windows 10 would.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
my guess on why they left it out was because they intended to do an all aluminum body at first this being an HTC device and then decided to switch to a polycarb for whatever reason (probably cost related). Either way they problem ran out of time to integrate wireless after. Thats my guess anyways.

That's plausible, lame but plausible I suppose.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Sadly again no SD card support and non removable battery..

Also 2gb is a bit underwhelming, I like the ratio a lot but I'll be waiting for the next Asus transformer

roninlb

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait to buy when they realized they priced it too high, they're not selling like they expected and they eventually drop the price. If you look at the price of the new Ipad Air 2, this tablet is way overpriced. I'm not here to promote Apple stuff, cause I actually hate IOS, but really, this tablet is way overpriced.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
There are always some people that will be disappointed in new devices. Frankly, I think that the Nexus 9 is an amazing tablet, and I definitely look forward to purchasing it.

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Not in the slightest. I am more than happy with what has been shown on the N9 front. It ticks every box for me. I'm particularly happy to see the N5-like design carried over. Also happy to see tap-to-wake. The specs are strong enough for my liking and I've always wanted Google to try out a 4:3 ratio. In short, it looks like this will be my Nexus purchase for 2014.

The N6 on the other hand...while I can't and won't argue with the specs (or price), the size is ludicrous and the design is lazy (and, for my money, ugly). This will be the first Nexus phone I won't be buying since the GNex, and that is a sad fact for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

warmonked

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Only disappointed by the price. I ended up ordering a Nvidia Shield after the announcement. The processor isn't the fancy 64bit one, but I doubt I'll notice. Also, it's $399 for 32gb storage and LTE!

I don't think having 2Gb is somehow not using a 64bit processor to the best of its ability. You might as well say every 32bit tablet and phone has been underutilized because they had less than 4Gb of RAM.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Well the competitors are offering 3 giga byte of ram and at least an expendable SD card slot.
But the device looks really well built. The shield while nice doesn't offer QHD :(

freakyhair

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have yet to find one with a removable battery

Curious on why you need one? If you're worried about running out of juice, they make some reasonably priced portable battery packs.

Otherwise, has battery life been that big of an issue on any of them of the lifespan of the product? It seems like when your device is 3 years old, and the battery is going downhill you can either get a new tablet, or pay someone to replace it (or do it yourself).