Anyone running a home launcher?

WolfsFang

May 19, 2011
Visit site
just want to see how much people are running a different home launcher instead of moto blur. I got launcher pro but after a day every time i would close a game it would lock up for 10 sec before going to the home screen. Might re-try it later on.

booked

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
i use adw launcher just so i can fit more icons on the screen. sometimes the dock icons at the bottom of the screen go away and i have to restart the phone. if i use the stock launcher i have no issues. weird.

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried either ADW or Launcher Pro, but will tonight to see if I have any issues. I will post my findings.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Icon

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok I installed ADW and I think the phone is smoother then with the stock launcher. I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

ac7983

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Go Launcher

I use Go Launcher. I like that the Dock scrolls (3 screens). I found that out by accident. Also I like that you can move the screens around when you view all the screens. And it looks like you can add as many screens as you want.. I tried up to 15. Probably wont use that many though.

jmars125

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using launcher pro till I tried go launcher ex. There's alot of customization that you can do with it especially with different themes. I haven't experienced any lock ups though.

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have found that if you use an alternate home launcher you can safely freeze Home (the default ram hungry MOTOBLUR launcher )

gregom

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying the ADW right now... seems to work good and smoothly. I've had it loose an icon or few when changing settings, which was a bit annoying. I wish there was adjustable icon padding for horizontal view on the home screen like there is with the app screen. But it's pretty good. It did get rid of that glitchy artifacts and lines on the screen when moving icons on the home screen.

Clearly Moto Blur is a bit buggy, not to mention slow, plus I think its ugly.

I'll try some others later I think.

Last edited:

PGleo86

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
GO Launcher or go home, IMO. Using it on CM7 on my Incredible and it's amazing, doesn't lock up or lag and stable, with options that put it competitive with ADW EX or LauncherPro Plus. Oh, and it's free :D

Tuffgong4

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have used all of the launchers mentioned and I keep coming back to Launcher Pro Plus. The widgets included are awesome and the scrolling dock is my favorite part.

Zeam would be great but I haven't tried it in a while because it didn't allow scrollable widgets which is a must for me.

ADW just seemed to slow to me though I see some positives

Go Launcher Pro was ok but buggy for me.

loooney2ns

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Running launcher pro with no issues used it on all my devices

Same here. I have used LP on my D1 and my DX, regardless of what rom I am running. I am really comfortable using it, and it makes everything uniform. It makes it easier to compare roms apples to apples. I also don't have to worry about Blur. I don't even know if I like it or not!

somerussianguy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a few of the Launchers: Go Launcher, Zeam, ADW, Launcher Pro, Regina, Metro UI, Launcher 7, maybe a couple more I forgot...

All in all, Launcher Pro Plus is the best one I've found - customizable widgets, customizable docks and icons, ability to change the grid size and number of screens, many great scrolling animations. I've been using it for 5 months now and it never crashed. Some of the other launcher I mentioned have crashed in a few minutes after installing them.

I do use Launcher 7 when I get tired of the whole Android UI look. Very nice and fluid launcher also. Nice animations, smooth scrolling. Widgets like Beautiful Widgets, WinAmp, & Fancy Widget might look weird since they're not really meant for that launcher. But overall, it's pretty nice.

Best bet, just try them all yourself, most of them have free versions.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro, adw ex, Go Launcher and Zeam are the most popular Launchers. There are others but not as popular as the ones mentioned, in no particular order.

I've found adw to work best do me. Use them all and sie what works. Remember that you can save Settings so that you don't have to redo it when going back. Saves time :)

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i use adw launcher just so i can fit more icons on the screen. sometimes the dock icons at the bottom of the screen go away and i have to restart the phone. if i use the stock launcher i have no issues. weird.

I hope this saves you some headaches: The dock doesn't disappear, swiping up on the dock hides the dock and shows the "hidden" dock on which you can put additional icons. When your dock disappears, just swipe down where the dock used to be and the dock will reappear.

balthuszar

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
original droid here, i've used both adw launcher ex and launcherpro plus...they each have their own merits, and demerits...also, may want to try wavelauncher in addition to the other launchers...

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope this saves you some headaches: The dock doesn't disappear, swiping up on the dock hides the dock and shows the "hidden" dock on which you can put additional icons. When your dock disappears, just swipe down where the dock used to be and the dock will reappear.

I was about to post this as well. Found out about it on accident, but if you dig through the ADW settings, you can configure this behavior. Look for something called "gestures." I don't currently have it installed, or I would find the exact location for you.

I tried ADW Launcher EX (paid), LauncherPro Plus (paid), and Go Launcher EX (free) and I am currently using Go Launcher. It has almost all of the features of LPP (scrolling dock, gestures on individual dock icons, configurable icon grid, resizeable widgets) and ADW (theming; just not as many themes yet; icon notification badges, configure and organize homescreens with home button). It doesn't have the same widgets at LPP, but they are making their own Go widgets. Personally, I was not that big on the LPP widgets, but some people love them.

What made me decide on Go Launcher though was the app drawer. It is way better than ADW or LPP. It has three tabs that show All Apps, recent apps, and running apps. The running apps tab works like a task manager and allows you to close apps if you want. Under the all apps tab, you can add folders to organize your apps. Between the scrollable dock and the folders in the app drawer, I can leave my homescreen free of app icons and have plenty of room to see my beautiful background or widgets. It also means that I can cut my homescreens down to only 3 and save on RAM. I haven't found it to be any more buggy than the others. LPP force closed on me about once a week, but it may have just been my setup. Also, found it slow to launch when restarting my phone (Droid X), but to be fair, I was using a highly customized theme with custom resized icons and I haven't done anything like that on Go Launcher yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alorra