Anyone switching back to iPhone?

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: Anyone switching back to Iphone?

A fine example of "whatever works for you". I've been on smart phones as long as they've been around and surprisingly enough, never had an urge to jailbreak any of them. For people who do, then clearly you get the full benefit of the phone and the hardware. But for most, they're limited to what it does out of the box. Obviously you can do as lot on the iPhone that you can do on the Note but the screen size really does matter, especially if you are getting up there in those advancing years and need bigger :D. Now if they make an iPhone Phablet WITH a stylus and all that brings with it, then maybe they can give my Note a run for its money. Until then... not so much.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I understand why the majority of Android users enjoy the freedom.

I agree with disliking trendy iPhone users. Though we all, like me, worked with and for people who also use iPhones as a business tool (searching, emailing, attaching, contacting anyway). A lot are not aware of the extra features in Android and are afraid to re-learn or change their image (having already emigrated from BlackBerry).

I have to confess now though I cannot see myself deep customising a home screen as on the sticky images, let alone rooting or tweaking massively. I tried a little on my last phone. Too much to learn.
Strange for me as I would enjoy putting a computer together with top components, tweak a car to have it running at it's best; Stereo/AV equipment etc.

It may be my middle age but it takes too long, and you will always want to change it. Android will still have annoying glitches, and submenus you forgot were there.

I still think Android is for me, now I have had one for two years. The screens, the power, the hardware, the expandability; what I can do and add to it. Even Samsung's basic Touchwiz features like the home/soft buttons and settings menus.

My rant over.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury I leave my fate in your hands!

True Android fan or pretend wannabe?

If you've read down this far you......

BTW - A 5s with an iPad and or Mac makes some sense. An iPhone alone makes no sense at all imv :))

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

A fine example of "whatever works for you". I've been on smart phones as long as they've been around and surprisingly enough, never had an urge to jailbreak any of them. For people who do, then clearly you get the full benefit of the phone and the hardware. But for most, they're limited to what it does out of the box. Obviously you can do as lot on the iPhone that you can do on the Note but the screen size really does matter, especially if you are getting up there in those advancing years and need bigger :D. Now if they make an iPhone Phablet WITH a stylus and all that brings with it, then maybe they can give my Note a run for its money. Until then... not so much.

Very true indeed. I HAD to have a IPad Mini Retina with the 5s, having happily used Note 2's and 3's. I really like the size of the iPad Mini. Sometimes, I felt like the 5.5"+ phones were just great, sometimes I felt they were too big. I found myself wanting a smaller phone when out and about because I had to admit the larger ones were not as convenient to carry. I never got into the HTC One or Moto X craze as there were design choices that were made that weren't quite up my alley. The iPhone just kinda worked out for me this time. I certainly know the jail breaking route isn't for all. ...but for those that like to tinker it can be a blast. It's fun to stretch a phone that is so basic out of the box, yet still have access to the things I like about iOS.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

DocGo

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones...iPhone 5S is for the times when I go out for my runs (I like the small size to fit in armband) and the Note 3 as my daily work phone.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
No. I've just gone from the S4 to the iPhone 5S and will be going back to the note 3. The 5S is a great phone but I'm used to the freedom of android.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I have the 5s for work and the Note 3 for personal use. They are really two totally different phones and different experiences.

For me, if I mostly a phone with access to email the iPhone is great as it is small and easy to carry. However, I can't count on it for all work day use as the battery simply does not hold up for me and the screen is simply too small to use for most of my more advanced needs. Also, the iPhone on Verizon can't be used for data while on a call. Not even LTE data; that really is an issue for me but may not be for others.

The Note 3 screen is huge and amazing and the battery, while not up to the MAXX standards, does manage to last all day for me. I can use data and voice at the same time. And, the overall performance of the phone is super fast; important when rendering complex Web pages. The key however is that the Note can be used for far more complex applications given its larger screen and better on screen keyboard.

On the downside the Note is much bigger and it is not constructed as well as the iPhone, IMO. I really like the all metal and glass of the iPhone!

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been using iPhone since the 2nd gen was released. It has served my needs well and I had even upgraded to the iPhone 5S. I thought the fingerprint reader was a great addition, but ultimately other than a spec bump it was pretty much the same. The thing that ultimately turned me off with the iPhone was the smaller display and poor battery life. One might think I'd bump up just a tad bit going to Android, but I decided to go for the GN3. There was a learning curve and the size was a bit odd for me, but it took me about 2 weeks to get use to the size and of course resolve any learning curve issues. I just recently sold my iPhone 5S because I was a bit nervous about getting rid of it, but I am so happy with the GN3 that now I can't see myself using the iPhone 5S. It seems so small and the text and overall useability for me now is just not acceptable. This doesn't mean its a bad phone because I get some like smaller phones.

For now the GN3 is my phone and I really enjoy it. I do also have a iPad which I do enjoy also. So, I am not pro one and anti the other. I think they are both great products and my thing is just get what works for you and leave all the BS with one being better than the other alone.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit this. I live my iPhone. Even though I have had dozens of Android devices over the years, I have settled this time with the 5S. I just upgraded my wife's phone yesterday. She wanted my space grey iPhone 5S so I upgraded her line to the Gold iPhone because that's what I wanted but they didn't have any available when I initially went in to get one. So it was a win-win. I set up her phone just like she had everything on her iPhone 5. She didn't even realize that she had a new phone until I told her. Then she asked me what was different from the iPhone 5 she had. All I could come up with was that it had touch ID. Then she asked me why would she need that? I didn't know what to say. She looked frustrated that it was basically the same phone. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site

Isn't that kind of like having two boyfriends/girlfriends because you can't make up your mind? :-\ I can't split my loyalty like that, to say nothing of trying to keep it all straight.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

Isn't that kind of like having two boyfriends/girlfriends because you can't make up your mind? :-\ I can't split my loyalty like that, to say nothing of trying to keep it all straight.

It is kinda. That's why I have been sticking with iOS at least for the last few months.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit this. I live my iPhone. Even though I have had dozens of Android devices over the years, I have settled this time with the 5S. I just upgraded my wife's phone yesterday. She wanted my space grey iPhone 5S so I upgraded her line to the Gold iPhone because that's what I wanted but they didn't have any available when I initially went in to get one. So it was a win-win. I set up her phone just like she had everything on her iPhone 5. She didn't even realize that she had a new phone until I told her. Then she asked me what was different from the iPhone 5 she had. All I could come up with was that it had touch ID. Then she asked me why would she need that? I didn't know what to say. She looked frustrated that it was basically the same phone. Yikes!

Now that's exactly what I mean. You get all worked up expecting the usual Apple "greatness" only to be disappointed. It's a great phone but the point it, it is NOTHING special other than it's an "iPhone" much the same as our famous Harley Davidson motorcycles have that certain mystique. But as HD Executives have stated (correctly), when you buy a Harley, you're not just buying a motorcycle, you're buying a lifestyle. Same with the iPhone. I get that but be "man enough" to admit it if that's what you're doing. Own it. (I freely admit when I bought the 4s not so long ago, it was mostly for that reason but it just wasn't enough in the end)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
apamuhe3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/31/uqujaja4.jpg

You will have seen headlines like this yesterday. Sorry about the cheapo quality.

Apple again with massive margins/twice the profit, 60%ish market share and lower unit sales with equal sales revenue. Are you really getting the quality and value for a lot of money compared to Samsung?

I know Google/Nexus and Moto give you much more bang for your bucks again, but this is between the big two.

Old story but ir may help here.
I will leave this discussion before my math is found seriously wanting.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Moto and Google may be better deals for the customer, but considering moto lost over $1 billion last year, it doesn't seem like a good comparison. No company wants to run in the red. The nexus line, if made by another company and sold for $400 would not be profitable either. If you take a look at the numbers, only Samsung and apple are making any profit. The rest are either breaking even or way in the red, last I read moto was in the red 26%,though that was q3 2013. While q4 may have had some changes, I think the overall picture didn't change much.

In fact since Google took moto over, it went even more in the red.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/apamuhe3.jpg

Moto and Google may be better deals for the customer, but considering moto lost over $1 billion last year, it doesn't seem like a good comparison. No company wants to run in the red. The nexus line, if made by another company and sold for $400 would not be profitable either. If you take a look at the numbers, only Samsung and apple are making any profit. The rest are either breaking even or way in the red, last I read moto was in the red 26%,though that was q3 2013. While q4 may have had some changes, I think the overall picture didn't change much.

In fact since Google took moto over, it went even more in the red.

Thanks. I was comparing the big two, and I was regurgitating reviews of Google supported devices, but yes I see what you mean with Moto not a fair addition to the mix if they are not making a profit. Still what I said holds water I think.

(If I lost a billion last year I would be down to my last private jet. )

Google can't be stupid so they must see a light at the end, and make up hardware losses with all the other generated revenue.

Another obvious ingredient I forgot but I'm sure oft mentioned, is Apple making 1 model, whereas Samsung's current smartphone models line up is n+. So tooling, components, packaging, marketing will be cheaper for Apple, no?

++You added a better stat image than my newspaper shot.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I was comparing the big two, and I was regurgitating reviews of Google supported devices, but yes I see what you mean with Moto not a fair addition to the mix if they are not making a profit. Still what I said holds water I think.

(If I lost a billion last year I would be down to my last private jet. )

Google can't be stupid so they must see a light at the end, and make up hardware losses with all the other generated revenue.

Another obvious ingredient I forgot but I'm sure oft mentioned, is Apple making 1 model, whereas Samsung's current smartphone models line up is n+. So tooling, components, packaging, marketing will be cheaper for Apple, no?

++You added a better stat image than my newspaper shot.

Google is an advertising company first and foremost. They provide Android free not out of the goodness of their heart but because of the data that they collect and you using their services. The nexus is what Google envisions Android devices to be. They are not really making money on them. It is the same as amazon tablets. Amazon isn't making money off of the tablets but they are getting people to use their services.

Apple is making more money off of each apple iPhone sold compared to each Galaxy device sold by Samsung. IPhones cost around $200 to build and sells for $650. An s4 costs $234 to build and sells for the same price. But more importantly, Moto sells a Moto X to carriers for $350, apple sells iPhones to the carriers for around $600. Yes making less models is less costly as well.

Apple fine tunes and sells just a few premium products. Samsung tries to flood the market with phones making less per phone.

Also Apple's customer service is better than Samsung or even google and apple fine tunes their devices hardware and software. With Android, there is less collaboration as Google makes the software and then manufacturers tweak it to their needs.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I had iPhones before I got a Note 2, then a Iphone 5, then a S4, then back to Iphone 5. Now I got a Note 3 on the way and can't wait. I think this will be the keeper. But I am tired of the **** poor battery life, and small screen on the iphone. And done waiting for Apple to update to a bigger screen.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Google is an advertising company first and foremost. They provide Android free not out of the goodness of their heart but because of the data that they collect and you using their services. The nexus is what Google envisions Android devices to be. They are not really making money on them. It is the same as amazon tablets. Amazon isn't making money off of the tablets but they are getting people to use their services.

Apple is making more money off of each apple iPhone sold compared to each Galaxy device sold by Samsung. IPhones cost around $200 to build and sells for $650. An s4 costs $234 to build and sells for the same price. But more importantly, Moto sells a Moto X to carriers for $350, apple sells iPhones to the carriers for around $600. Yes making less models is less costly as well.

Apple fine tunes and sells just a few premium products. Samsung tries to flood the market with phones making less per phone.

Also Apple's customer service is better than Samsung or even google and apple fine tunes their devices hardware and software. With Android, there is less collaboration as Google makes the software and then manufacturers tweak it to their needs.

I thought I was implying that all along. Thanks for the interesting costings stats.
Your last 2 sentences were the best. Regards.

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
IPhone is garbage, any flagship android phone is better if you don't like this phone there are many other manufacturers that make great phones, I mean look at the Sony xerpia line. Everyone of their phones are pretty and well made and also water and dust resistant. I can see what you mean by the apple app store having more depth, but the Google play is not very far behind and very soon it will surpass the apple app store. Because android controls over 70% of the market share in every market. Apple is falling behind and if they don't get with times they may end up like blackberry

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753