Verizon SM-P905V - trouble with non-Verizon SIM

Ygolonac

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Bought this used off Swappa back in 2015, still working fine, but... never used the 4G side of things, never had a Verizon account. Now, I'm trying to use this with a TracFone SIM (brand new BYOP for used Verizon LTE device), and other than it recognizing the SIM, it's not able to connect to the cell network; it can see the Verizon provider (same one my TracFone phone uses), says it's searching for service, but no bueno.

TracFone verified it was device-compatible by IMEI, SIM is activated via their website. IMEI shows good on the database, not stolen or anything. I'm kind of wondering if the tablet is still locked into Verizon, since it still shows "View Verizon Account" under Data Plan under Settings/Wireless and Networks/More Networks, but as it came without a SIM, and I hafe no interest in opening a Verizon accout, I'm not sure what to do next... any suggestions?

Ygolonac

May 22, 2024
Visit site
I'm not seeing that option in Settings at all. This is running Android 5.1.1, no root no nothin'. (Didn't even see it in dev options.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Ygolonac

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Sounds like it's sim Lock
Under Security? It allows me tostart, change PIN, and stopSIM lock, nothing changed when I did that earlier.

Ok, so it's not under the menu mentioned here? https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/#:~:text=apps or data.-,Navigate to and open Settings, and then tap General management,then tap Reset network settings.

That article may be too recent for such an old device, since menus have changed a lot over the years.
No, I don't have that one. Under Settings/Personal, I have reset settings (all system back to default) and factory (nuke from orbit).

I'll try the system reset, can't hurt. Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Under Security? It allows me tostart, change PIN, and stopSIM lock, nothing changed when I did that earlier.

No, I don't have that one. Under Settings/Personal, I have reset settings (all system back to default) and factory (nuke from orbit).

I'll try the system reset, can't hurt. Thanks!
That doesn't mean anything, you inserted another sim and don't have service, you made sure everything with TracFone was good

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you can , try a friend or family members sim from a carrier like TMO/Att see what happens but sometimes that's not a great test because some carrier like you to provision the device to the sim it's in, but worth a try .

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Bought this used off Swappa back in 2015, still working fine, but... never used the 4G side of things, never had a Verizon account. Now, I'm trying to use this with a TracFone SIM (brand new BYOP for used Verizon LTE device), and other than it recognizing the SIM, it's not able to connect to the cell network; it can see the Verizon provider (same one my TracFone phone uses), says it's searching for service, but no bueno.

TracFone verified it was device-compatible by IMEI, SIM is activated via their website. IMEI shows good on the database, not stolen or anything. I'm kind of wondering if the tablet is still locked into Verizon, since it still shows "View Verizon Account" under Data Plan under Settings/Wireless and Networks/More Networks, but as it came without a SIM, and I hafe no interest in opening a Verizon accout, I'm not sure what to do next... any suggestions?
The problem is likely a bit of LTE band incompatibility.

That device, a Verizon Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 tablet, for those who don't speak model numbers (like me... had to look it up), supports exactly 2 LTE bands - 4 and 13. That was all Verizon used at the time.

TracFone uses bands 2, 4 and 12. And they don't use all of them in every area. It could be that 4 isn't being used where you are, so the SIM can't find the network.

At least, that's my guess.

Ygolonac

May 22, 2024
Visit site
TracFone says the sim is activated, but line mangement is showing "activation in progress", and has for a few hours. Nobody awake at the support number, I'll be ringing them back torrow if it doesn't fire up.

Can't swap SIMs unless I can find one the same size; tablet takes a mid-size one, and if I snap the plastic down to the smallest size to try in my phone, it won't fit in the tablet any more. (It was a "tri-punch", to fit anything, I think.)

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
TracFone says the sim is activated, but line mangement is showing "activation in progress", and has for a few hours. Nobody awake at the support number, I'll be ringing them back torrow if it doesn't fire up.

Can't swap SIMs unless I can find one the same size; tablet takes a mid-size one, and if I snap the plastic down to the smallest size to try in my phone, it won't fit in the tablet any more. (It was a "tri-punch", to fit anything, I think.)
Like I said, if the device doesn't have the bands (frequencies) that TracFone uses in your area, it'll never connect.

It's like having an FM radio with only the right half of the frequency dial, but the station you want to listen to is on the left half. You'll never hear the station.

Ygolonac

May 22, 2024
Visit site
Like I said, if the device doesn't have the bands (frequencies) that TracFone uses in your area, it'll never connect.

It's like having an FM radio with only the right half of the frequency dial, but the station you want to listen to is on the left half. You'll never hear the station.
Yes, I saw that and cussed some, when I couldn't easily find what bands are used locally; that reply was replying to different folks, before I saw yours - I should have inserted quotes, to be more clear.

Thanks for the info, though!

advcomp2019

May 23, 2024
Visit site
The problem is likely a bit of LTE band incompatibility.

That device, a Verizon Samsung Galaxy NotePRO 12.2 tablet, for those who don't speak model numbers (like me... had to look it up), supports exactly 2 LTE bands - 4 and 13. That was all Verizon used at the time.

TracFone uses bands 2, 4 and 12. And they don't use all of them in every area. It could be that 4 isn't being used where you are, so the SIM can't find the network.

At least, that's my guess.
You kinda have bad info about Tracfone. I found this post by accident when the OP asked about this on reddit too.

With the old Tracfone system, you could pick between AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon based SIMs. Each of these SIMs will let you connect to each of the tower carriers. So if you are using an AT&T based SIM, you are using AT&T towers. If you have T-Mobile based SIM, you are using T-Mobile towers. If you have a Verizon based SIM, you are using Verizon towers.

Tracfone never had their own towers. They have always used other towers depending on your SIM.

Sounds like you was talking about AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs in your post since you was talking about band 2, 4, and 12.

These AT&T and T-Mobile based SIMs are going away on November 23, 2024 because on November 23, 2021, Verizon bought Tracfone and all of Tracfone brands. They are giving users three years to switch to a Verizon based SIM. So Tracfone is going to mainly Verizon only SIMs.

I have been with Straight Talk which is a Tracfone brand for a number years, and I have been using a Verizon based SIM for a long time too. My phones have never used LTE band 12, but they have used LTE band 13.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nictu