AOD Discoloration

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea what my next play is ... I wouldn't be so concerned if everyone was having the problem as that'd lead me to believe that it's a software issue. But the fact it's not everyone has me worrying it's hardware related and not software.

The color really isn't what concerns me, it's how the screen flickers shortly after the AOD comes on. Here's a video I just shot of the new device ... nothing installed, just signed into my Google account, let the apps update and downloaded the lastest software update (it was doing it before the software update too)

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I have no idea what my next play is ... I wouldn't be so concerned if everyone was having the problem as that'd lead me to believe that it's a software issue. But the fact it's not everyone has me worrying it's hardware related and not software.

The color really isn't what concerns me, it's how the screen flickers shortly after the AOD comes on. Here's a video I just shot of the new device ... nothing installed, just signed into my Google account, let the apps update and downloaded the lastest software update (it was doing it before the software update too)

That's so weird ...

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, maybe I'm making a bigger deal than of this than it is. So I just shot this video side by side with my 7P. Never realized it but the 7P also has a little flicker too, just the font colors don't change as drastically as they do on the 8 Pro

7P on right 8P on left

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thinking I should just cut my losses and keep the replacement. I didn't realize how much better it was than the original one I received. Here are the 7 pro and both 8 pros all together. The original one is on the far right replacement in the middle 7 pro on the left

6a9f446310c1ba363974a875a03674c4.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, took it with my work iPhone 8 plus

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even know about the issue until I saw a post on Reddit about it. I thought Google changed the clock style/color for the AOD, but only for the P8P .

I did notice that when I enabled Show Refresh Rate in the Developer Options, it only happens once the AOD refresh rate drops to 1 Hz, and only the left side of the screen. The discoloration only happens on the AOD.

My replacement is behaving, so far.

Reactions: YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well no real help or resolution with support:

2:56:42 PM Troy: With regards to the concern that you have raised with us today it has come to our attention that we have to report this to our engineers and analysts. We have an active team that will work on a solution and shall deliver a fix on the next monthly update.

2:56:52 PM Troy: We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work diligently to provide the best possible service. Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, and we want to ensure that you have the best experience with our products.

2:57:18 PM Greg T.: Ok, so it's confirmed to be a software issue?

2:58:37 PM Troy: At the moment, we have to confirm this yet to which we are going to need our experts opinion about this.

2:59:56 PM Greg T.: So if it's determined that it's not software where does that leave me? I wait for the next monthly update and it's not resolved, then what?

I'll just keep the new replacement and hope for the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001