App data erased/missing, Apps moving between internal/SD on their own

heathpevensey

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Ok I recently purchased my phone, a Moto G 3rd Gen, it is my first smartphone of any kind and I only have experience with Android Marshmallow, so if my question has been answered based on problems in a previous OS etc... I apologize in advance!

I got an SD card to use in my phone, and when inserted chose to use it as internal storage, the feature everyone was talking about for mashmallow I guess. I assumed this meant the storage merged, but I was wrong. No big though, seemed as if I had lots of space!

So I downloaded Kelptocats, cause cats, and Miitomo because I'm a Nintendo Fan, and roll the ball, and move them to my SD card since apparently i can't download directly to the SD card. Again, no biggie.

Now to the issue at hand.

Updates happen for Kleptocats and for Miitomo, and when I log into the apps after those updates, the progress and data are gone. Now Miitomo backs up to a Nintendo account, which restores the data, but for Kleptocats no luck. I couldn't find anything about the issue googling, and Kleptocats didn't seem to have an answer either, although they gave me a code to make up for some of the lost progress. It was only when I spoke to another user of the same phone, that they told me this had happened with their apps as well.

as near as we can tell, then the apps updated they returned themselves to internal storage, and left their progress data behind. Moving them back changed nothing, progress still lost, so I assume it has something to do with the encryption on the SD card, so the app that jumped ship can no longer read the data, or it simply dissappeared when it tried to move off the card.

So on to the final question: Is there a fix for this, or are any apps that do not backup online going to lose their progress anytime I update( and roll the ball did, that update happened yesterday). If there is no fix, or i am not using something wrong, I basically have all the apps i can download, because the leftover space on my internal is low with those apps installed plus what was on the phone, and about 14gb of space only useful for photos i don't take?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
So I downloaded Kelptocats, cause cats, and Miitomo because I'm a Nintendo Fan, and roll the ball, and move them to my SD card since apparently i can't download directly to the SD card. Again, no biggie.
That's one mistake. Storage is now storage, not internal and SD card, so moving an app from one to the other may or may not work. (Using the SD card as part of the storage system is stil new, so there may be other bugs that will pop up in the future.)

Updates happen for Kleptocats and for Miitomo, and when I log into the apps after those updates, the progress and data are gone. Now Miitomo backs up to a Nintendo account, which restores the data, but for Kleptocats no luck. I couldn't find anything about the issue googling
Look for "poorly thought out program development". If the app wasn't specifically modified to work on Marshmallow, it may not.

as near as we can tell, then the apps updated they returned themselves to internal storage, and left their progress data behind. Moving them back changed nothing, progress still lost, so I assume it has something to do with the encryption on the SD card, so the app that jumped ship can no longer read the data, or it simply dissappeared when it tried to move off the card.
Could be. Or it could be a bad implementation of adoptable storage (or some deeply-hidden bug that no one's pinned down yet).

So on to the final question: Is there a fix for this
Not that I've heard of yet.

or are any apps that do not backup online going to lose their progress anytime I update( and roll the ball did, that update happened yesterday).
If the app backs up to a non-system file, you won't lose anything. But if the app just arbitrarily moves itself from the card to eMMC, and doesn't keep track of its storage file or location, that makes the Y2K problem look like no problem at all.

If there is no fix, or i am not using something wrong, I basically have all the apps i can download, because the leftover space on my internal is low with those apps installed plus what was on the phone, and about 14gb of space only useful for photos i don't take?
If I were in your place - using Marshmallow - I'd treat the phone as a Lollypop phone, storing what I could on internal storage and using the SD card as portable. (Which probably means buying a phone with a lot more internal storage. As Samsung maintains, adoptable storage was really meant for those markets in which the usual phone has 4-8GB of internal storage, not markets in which keeping 32GB of apps on the phone is normal.)

heathpevensey

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I had thought about that, that moving the apps to the SD was wrong, the problem is, my phone tells me i'm out of space, even when my SD card, which is supposed to be internal storage, has tons of space left. Unfortunately it was not in the cards for me to get a phone with a large internal storage, and seeing as how i didn't know anything about them, i had no idea the sd card would not provide a sufficient alternative when it comes to apps. Hopefully this is an issue that will eventually get noticed and looked at

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I had thought about that, that moving the apps to the SD was wrong, the problem is, my phone tells me i'm out of space, even when my SD card, which is supposed to be internal storage, has tons of space left. Unfortunately it was not in the cards for me to get a phone with a large internal storage, and seeing as how i didn't know anything about them, i had no idea the sd card would not provide a sufficient alternative when it comes to apps. Hopefully this is an issue that will eventually get noticed and looked at

Is the SD card possibly a counterfeit? Sometimes bad ones report that they are full when they really aren't

What is the brand?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d