App not installed but taking up space (Moto G Fast)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I downloaded an app (Hollow knight port) from a third-party, tried to install it but it told me "not installed" so i deleted some stuff and it still didnt install, so i tried the 'files by google' app to install it, it didnt even give me a popup but it froze and took up my system space. restarted several times and went through various app caches and android files, but i never found anything. Also my system files before-hand were already 13gb so with my apps and media that leaves me 2gb. Help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You always need to be very careful when downloading an apk file from the web, since it's a good way to get malware. I would only trust APKMirror (since they're run by Android Police) and a developer's own website.

Remember that just because you found an APK doesn't mean that it will be compatible with your device. Either this game isn't compatible, or it wasn't actually the APK for that game.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
i think its taking up space because magically after i tried to install it, space was taken up in the 'system' part of the storage settings

I think it's kind of odd if you saw a noticeable increase in the system part of your storage. I just installed a game that is 3gb and it did nothing to my system storage. Have you ran a scan yet? I would download malwarebytes and scan your device just to be safe. And have you looked in settings-apps then did show system to see if anything looks off? I ran the download url through virus total and there was one engine that marked it as malicious, but that could be a false positive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008-215557_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008-215557_Chrome.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 7

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded an app (Hollow knight port) from a third-party, tried to install it but it told me "not installed" so i deleted some stuff and it still didnt install, so i tried the 'files by google' app to install it, it didnt even give me a popup but it froze and took up my system space. restarted several times and went through various app caches and android files, but i never found anything. Also my system files before-hand were already 13gb so with my apps and media that leaves me 2gb. Help would be appreciated.
You may have downloaded malicious software. That 13 GB is huge. I'd reset my phone and change important pws. Jmo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk