Are my Pixel photos backed up on Google somewhere?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You'd think that I could know this or find it. But....

I get those "composites" from Google Photos on my Pixel 6 Pro. You'd think that I would be able to find where Google has stored and sifted my photos for the composite treatment. So, not the composites but the underlying real photos.
But, yesterday, being a bit more curious, if ones I shot at the opera yesterday were in my Google Drive, I went looking. NOT THERE, at least, not that I found.

So, friends, Romans and countrymen and women and everyone else....

I do recall a while back being slightly ticked off that Google would show my a photo, with a location description and offer to share them with the world. That I did not want!

Is google backing all of my photos up? If so, where? How do I set them on or off?

Some more composites while we are discussing the issue! :D

IMG_20200603_083329-COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20200416_174234-COLLAGE.jpg

IMG_20200101_161421-COLLAGE.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay, they are at/on Google One. But the next question, under Info I see they are backed up at ORIGINAL quality. But they are fuzzy in the the web when viewing individual pics. Is there some further trick? (yup, I'm either lazy or tired or both)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting, I never thought about a way to jump directly to one of the photos making up the collage -- you should send feedback to Google suggesting that as a feature!

The photos used to make up the collage should all be in Google Photos (or at least, they were at the time the collage was created). Assuming you didn't delete the original photo after the collage was created, and it's difficult to do a manual search for it (which can be daunting if you have thousands and thousands of photos saved, which I'm sure is the situation for you), then try a search (for either the subject matter or the location).

Photos in Google Photos haven't been mirrored to Google Drive since 2019, so that won't be very helpful any more.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting, I never thought about a way to jump directly to one of the photos making up the collage -- you should send feedback to Google suggesting that as a feature!

The photos used to make up the collage should all be in Google Photos (or at least, they were at the time the collage was created). Assuming you didn't delete the original photo after the collage was created, and it's difficult to do a manual search for it (which can be daunting if you have thousands and thousands of photos saved, which I'm sure is the situation for you), then try a search (for either the subject matter or the location).

Photos in Google Photos haven't been mirrored to Google Drive since 2019, so that won't be very helpful any more.

Actually, I just wanted to know where Google stashed any of my photos. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that they would be in my Google Drive storage. But as I noted, they were not there. Then (light bulb moment), I thought what about looking on Google Photos on the phone and that did lead to Google One. Opened it in my browser and THERE THEY WERE. (see that Zombie sign is appropriate!). Looks as if when you first view a photo it is fuzzy and then clears up. But not the Motion Photo. Now I could animate/run it. But ON-THE-WEB I did not see how to select one of the Motion Photo's included images. The image showing when I open it is also fuzzy but remains that way. But if I animate it, I see clearer images in the "motion photo" but did not see a way to grab one.

What this really says, is that until the last day or two, I did not really explore or care about motion photos or where Google was keeping all of my stuff. Now suddenly I'm interested!

Now maybe I will go back to vegetating and exploring options for an Induction Range! See, maybe those gas fumes have dulled the senses after all these years :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali