are there any phones that can acess the internet without paying for a carrier

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Are there any android style phones that can use the internet but not pay for a carrier, maybe only pay for a carrier on demand as needed. My friend uses her phone 1 or 2 times a month and cant afford a full price service for such infrequent need.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You're going to pay for mobile data one way or another if you have a smartphone. I'm not aware of any carriers that will sell you basic phone service on a smartphone without a data package. Not even on a prepaid (pay as you go) line.

You may be able buy a basic phone that only does calls and text, and some may have limited internet functionality and not be required to purchase a mobile data package unless you use that data. Those phones are often pretty cheap, so you can use your savings to also buy a tablet for those times full net capabilities are wanted, as long as you have a WiFi connection available. Some tablets do have mobile data radios, but my guess is you'll be required to have a line for that as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You're going to pay for mobile data one way or another if you have a smartphone. I'm not aware of any carriers that will sell you basic phone service on a smartphone without a data package. Not even on a prepaid (pay as you go) line.

You may be able buy a basic phone that only does calls and text, and some may have limited internet functionality and not be required to purchase a mobile data package unless you use that data. Those phones are often pretty cheap, so you can use your savings to also buy a tablet for those times full net capabilities are wanted, as long as you have a WiFi connection available. Some tablets do have mobile data radios, but my guess is you'll be required to have a line for that as well.
Airplane mode and turning wifi back on should do the trick to keep costs down

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There are at least two UK carriers who offer PAYG, the credit for which does not expire after 30d, and which you can use as little as you want...as long as you make a connection at least once every 6mo.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Depends where the OP lives I guess. Here in PH and other countries in SEA, it's pretty normal to buy phones straight from OEMs unlocked, then buy a prepaid sim with no data package and it will work fine. We can just top up credits for how much data we'd want to use. If I want to pay just fot 100mb data, then I can just pay for that amount.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23