Are You Having Rebooting Issues? Or Have You in the Past?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Some are reporting that the random rebooting/restarting of their phones has been fixed by 5.1. Others say it is continuing as before. Who continues to have rebooting issues? Has anyone had them in the past, but not now? Did 5.1 help? Did you exchange for another phone? Did you turn off certain features of the phone or get rid of apps that may have been causing issues?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
128 view so far and no replies. Hopefully, that means that everyone who has looked at this thread has been free of reboot issues. I'm trying to assess how prevalent this problem is, as it has deterred me from taking a chance with the N6.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine rebooted maybe 2 or 3 times since I bought it on launch day. Random but not annoying.
It has not done it since the 5.1 update.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Nexus 6.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a couple way back in the pre 5.0.1 days. Nothing since. There probably was some app incompatibility issues early on, caused by a combination of the new operating system and the runtime switch. But I haven't seen near as many complaints recently.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
There is a lengthy GP Forums thread. That would be the best place to look.

I'd say it's safe to conclude that Google has failed to address the issue in 5.1.

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Your answers are encouraging so far. I have looked at the Google Products forum, which is quite sobering and has discouraged me from buying the N6 at this time. However, I'm trying to get an idea of what the odds would be that I would get a phone with the random reboots. Several people have reported getting more than one defective phone when they return it. That would be aggravating. OTOH, I come here and read about a lot of people who are very happy with their N6s. I have been seriously considering buying something other than the N6 because of the random reboots, but it would not be my first choice. I'm trying to calculate how much of a risk it would be to go ahead and get the N6 and see what happens.

I presume that if I got one that was rebooting and had it replaced with another that had the same problem that at that point I could choose to return it and get something else. (I would be buying from a carrier---AT&T---on a two-year contract.) But that's only if I decide within the fifteen-day period, right? So if the problem showed up after fifteen days I'd be stuck with the N6 and, possibly, multiple exchanges during the warranty period to try to get one that works properly.

Lumpy53

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Got mine on launch day on AT&T. Reboots didn't start till a few months later. Mine got so bad it rebooted 2-3 times a day and when I take it out of airplane mode I have 80% chance it will reboot. Got so bad I just got a new sim for my Nexus 5 and my Nexus 6 is in a drawer until I get the 5.1 update. Truth is I don't miss it that much, my Nexus 5 doesn't give me any problems. OK I do miss the screen a little.

Last edited:

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine from Moto and it never rebooted. Side loaded 5.1D and it has rebooted twice. Last reboot was about a week ago.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Now the last two posts are of concern to me. If the random rebooting starts later, then I would probably sacrifice my ability to exchange it for a totally different phone. I figured if the phone had issues right away I'd ask for a replacement and, if the replacement had the same issues, I'd just return it and buy my #2 choice. However, I would hate to be stuck with an unreliable, nearly unusable phone.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Now the last two posts are of concern to me. If the random rebooting starts later, then I would probably sacrifice my ability to exchange it for a totally different phone. I figured if the phone had issues right away I'd ask for a replacement and, if the replacement had the same issues, I'd just return it and buy my #2 choice. However, I would hate to be stuck with an unreliable, nearly unusable phone.

There's just no way to know. You could get lucky and get a phone with no reboots, or you might get unlucky, once, twice or thrice.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
There's just no way to know. You could get lucky and get a phone with no reboots, or you might get unlucky, once, twice or thrice.

That's what I've been saying. However, it is helpful to see the positive side because I was dwelling on all the negative reports. Just reading the negative things made me think I should give up on the N6. However, reading about many who are happy with their phones tempts me to give it a try and see what happens. My only concern is not realizing there is a problem with the phone until after the return period and then being stuck with a phone that I have to keep returning, in the hope of getting one that actually works.

Any suggestions about how I should go about testing out the phone to see if its solid or not when I first get it? What kinds of things should I try with it right away to make sure it works properly? I am not on my phone a lot and I don't play games with my phone. However, when I do use my phone it is critical that it work smoothly.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
That's what I've been saying. However, it is helpful to see the positive side because I was dwelling on all the negative reports. Just reading the negative things made me think I should give up on the N6. However, reading about many who are happy with their phones tempts me to give it a try and see what happens. My only concern is not realizing there is a problem with the phone until after the return period and then being stuck with a phone that I have to keep returning, in the hope of getting one that actually works.

Any suggestions about how I should go about testing out the phone to see if its solid or not when I first get it? What kinds of things should I try with it right away to make sure it works properly? I am not on my phone a lot and I don't play games with my phone. However, when I do use my phone it is critical that it work smoothly.

You're over thinking this.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You're over thinking this.

Probably. But I have read posts by people who have tried for months to make the N6 work for them, because they really want it to work. They have ended up with one or more phones that simply won't function well enough to rely on. I had almost decided to, reluctantly, go with another phone, but then 5.1 was released. So I am watching what has been happening since then. I'm reading some positive and some negative comments, so I'm starting to think it may be worth taking a chance.

I do, however, want to put the phone through its paces during the first two-week period, so I'd be interested in any suggestions about what to watch for and how to check the phone out during that time.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unknownrdssdg