AT&T Phone

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys

My mother needs a new phone. She doesn't have a dataplan right now, and doesn't need one. But, she also has an iPhone and has grown used to it, so something similar to an iPhone (Basically a smartphone) will be fine.

So, I'm looking for which smartphone doesn't need a data plan... I know AT&T phones all require one, so basically I'm fine with buying internationally.

Any ideas?

btc0526

I wish I worked at google
May 25, 2011
Visit site
I just say keep her on the iPhone. I made the mistake of trying to move my mother to an Android and she was always frustrated. You'll be getting calls asking why her favorite apps arent available. Why its going so slow, etc.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
^^ My mom only uses the phone & text features. Just prefers the simplicity of smartphones.

And I live with my parents, so I'm always there for troubleshooting/teaching.

Can't keep her on her iPhone (1st gen, jailbroken), since it runs slow, and is getting old.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
As much as we are all android fans here i will agree, it will be best to keep her on the iphone as the Android os is alot more complex. If you dont mind running her through everything then you could move her over to android to be with the rest of the family. ;)

Might i suggest, if you move her to Android to go for the Pantech Burst or the Motorola Atrix 2. Both are realativley in exspensive and pretty good devices. I am currently using the burst as my work phone. For $50 bucks, running on LTE with a dual core processor, its a great buy no doubt. Plus, if you are in the market for a tablet, for an extra $200 if you get the burst, you could also get the element.

Can you tell my salesmen aspect is showing??? Sorry lol. :cool:

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
^^ Haha, she won't mind Android or iOS, or anything really as long as she knows how to get into the Phone app, and the Messaging app.

I can't get any of those phones/devices since they all require data plans.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Jailbroken, data disabled, called AT&T told them she was on a different phone, changed APN settings, etc. I don't quite remember how I did it, but I got it working.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Well nice job on that one. Other then that maybe go for one of the panthech messaging phones. I would not recommend the Samsung Flight 2 if only because the screen gets really laggy.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunatly, unless you are able to work some magic like you did with your og iphone , any smartphone you get, you put on AT&T the network will automatically add the data plan.

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Not entirely true. They won't know it's a smartphone if it's a smartphone from Europe with an IMEI number that AT&T doesn't recognize.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It will. I have seen it many times on some of my customers accounts. Their system will recognize the type of phone as soon as you make a call with your sim card it in. Unless it is one that is not in their sydtem that is. In fact just dealt with one yesterday where someone had a dell android from europe and the systen kept adding the data plan. Its fun getting yelled at for stuff like that.

Sent from my White Epic Touch

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
My mother has a smartphone without a data plan. We just put a SIM card that was assigned to a messaging phone and everything works except she can't do picture messaging.

I'd your mom is fine with that i would go that route.

TheNDChief

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Honestly for mothers and those who have trouble with some systems windows phone could be the way to go. I feel terrible saying that on this forum. But the lumia is only $100 on contract and windows phone 7.5 is one of the easier systems to operate however the apps are kind of rubbish compared to Android and iOS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitezpro