Authenticating Error to WiFi

kluh88

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everybody

So I'm not too techy savvy and this may be why I can't figure out my problem. I was trying to change the wifi password on my router, and for some dumb reason I thought I could do that through my phone. I went into settings > WiFi > Manage Networks....Then I held my finger down on my wifi router name and it pulled up its info box; signal strength / security / and then where it says Password (unchanged) I typed in a new password...And after that it locked me out of my wifi and when I go in and enter the new pass it doesnt work.

I did leave out the fact that I don't know the original pass. to the wifi. The person who lived here before me got me set up on my devices and I never wrote it down. I was trying to change it so my friends could connect when they visit.

Do you think I just need to enter the original wifi pass into the area where I changed it?

Thank you for any help/advice!
Device: Motorola Electrify 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What you did on the phone was to change the password that the phone tries to log into the wifi network with, which is why it can no longer log in. Your router's password is unchanged, but the phone is now remembering a different password than the correct one.

In order to change a router's password, you have to use a desktop computer's browser to log into the router's IP address. You also need to know the username and password for the router (which is different from the wifi network password). You can usually find the router's manual on the web, which can give you detailed instructions on how to change the wifi password, but it won't help if you don't know the username/password to log into the router itself. But check the back or bottom of the router--they usually tell you what the default username and password are, and you can hope that the previous person didn't change them.

Unfortunately, you might be stuck, since you don't know the router's wifi password, your phone now has the wrong password remembered, and I assume you're unable to contact the person who set the network up. The only other solution I can think of is to do a hard reset of the router (which is usually done by pressing a pinhole Reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds or so. This resets the router to its factory condition, and then you would need to set up your own wifi network as if you were just starting from scratch. Again, you'd need the manual to learn some of these details.

What brand and model# is the router?