Auto brightness is not great

fred134134

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Coming from the note20u ultra I kept the phone on auto brightness and thought it did a decent job.

The problem I have is how low the brightness goes in dark environment. It's so dim the screen is really hard to see.

I ended up installing velis Auto brightness and while it's a little complex at first it does the trick. I set a limit based on amount of lightning on how bright I want the screen

Now this isn't a set and forget it. You need to measure brightness detected by the app and adjust the brightness levels. Take a few days of going in different environments but you can get it the way you want.

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Coming from the note20u ultra I kept the phone on auto brightness and thought it did a decent job.

The problem I have is how low the brightness goes in dark environment. It's so dim the screen is really hard to see.

I ended up installing velis Auto brightness and while it's a little complex at first it does the trick. I set a limit based on amount of lightning on how bright I want the screen

Now this isn't a set and forget it. You need to measure brightness detected by the app and adjust the brightness levels. Take a few days of going in different environments but you can get it the way you want.
Is "extra dim" on by mistake? I love that at night but forget to toggle it back off sometimes, I need to go back to Bixby Routines. It's interesting to hear your experience, because I'm also coming from a N20U and find the S22U frequently too bright for comfort.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Never had issues with auto brightness, if I need it little more dimmer or brighter then in auto brightness just adjust the bar , it remembers where I kept it in that environment

Last edited:

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
This phone is like crazy good compared to my pixel... Since I picked up the phone I think I had to adjust the brightness once..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I keep auto brightness as well, as @mustang7757 mentioned I just adjust the brightness in the auto brightness slider if for a particular environment it's not dark or bright and it learns from it. Definitely don't want to be manual brightness and worry about adjusting brightness all the time. Moreover better battery with adaptive brightness instead of manual brightness.

Unless you are like Flossy and others who rides with max brightness all the time