Auto correct/predictive text always wants to put in an obscure email address instead of a word..how can I stop this?

captnpenguin

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
auto correct/predictive text always wants to put in an obscure email address instead of a word...

I'll start off with saying I'm still very new to android so if this is an easy fix that I should know about my apologies. I've noticed that when I start typing text for anything it often times wants to predict an email address from my gmail account. The real crazy thing is that most of the time it is an email that was utilized for 1, maybe 2 emails from over 5 years ago. Is there a way to disable this? I'm afraid that one day I'll accidentally send someone a message that contains a "random" persons email instead of a word that I wanted. It's starting to get really annoying/frustrating...

nedenlinger

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: auto correct/predictive text always wants to put in an obscure email address instead of a word..

you can disable by
Taping on any text field, such as a search box, e-mail body, or a browser address bar to summon the keyboard.
and Tap the gear in the bottom left of the keyboard, beside the Sym button.
lastly Tap Predictive text to turn it off and on.

captnpenguin

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: auto correct/predictive text always wants to put in an obscure email address instead of a word..

I don't have the gear next to my sym button. If I disable predictive doesn't that disable all and not just the stupid emails?

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

When the email pops up in the autocorrect, long press and it will give you the option to remove it from autocorrect

i108

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Looks like no one has given a sufficient response yet.

I am having this same problem.

Gmail e-mails I've sent or received from, even erased messages, are pulling into auto-complete. If I am typing Hello, I don't need (email address removed by Moderator) showing up. Obviously, predictive text is pulling from a google account database or portion thereof it shouldn't be.

I am surprised more haven't noticed this, or maybe it's only happening for some people.

Please help find a solution, I wasted my time with Verizon tech support, and the Samsung tech support guy just had me clear google text to speech and messaging data, and stop the google app so Samsuck text to speech was on, as I suspected, did nothing. Then he said to boot into safe mode. Was hard to understand his voice, and he is an a$$hole since he hardly looked into it, and got me off the phone before I was done saying to do safe mode then call back.

We need a way to turn this off.

The answer above about long pressing each e-mail, is incorrect, shortsighted, and misleading. No good answer has been given thus far.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Mod Note, please do not post your email address on this public forum

i108

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

dpham00, dude, that was a completely fake e-mail address. :D

captnpenguin

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

I wonder is this with all android or just samsung?

captnpenguin

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

I've tried that with mixed results. Certain emails keep showing up no matter what and they aren't even emails I send to ever.

Jimmy Le1

May 22, 2015
Visit site
Ha ... for the life of me ... I could not duplicate what you say ...
Even if I type @ ...still did not show up any Email ...
I'm using Samsung stock key board ..

Maybe i'm the lucky one ..

Cheers..:)

CelticRain

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Anyone? I find it hard to believe no one has found a solution to this.

For what it's worth, I not only have the email input issue (frequently), but since recent updates (including to marshmallow) my phone decides what I'm typing is wrong and replaces it with nonsensical autocorrects.

Glinesgirl3

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Great idea except I have thousands of email addresses in my contacts. Typing JC and had to hold and remove 5+ email addresses.

Samsung - fix this!

NeedMoDro

May 9, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth, I not only have the email input issue (frequently), but since recent updates (including to marshmallow) my phone decides what I'm typing is wrong and replaces it with nonsensical autocorrects.

Yeah. I had the email problem for a long time. But after updating to marshmallow I've almost smashed my s6edge+ a few times.

The email thing got 10x worse and my autocorrect/fill is constantly changing words. I type "that", and changes it to "thay" I type "dont" and it changes to "do this" and there are tons of other examples.

They keyboard also gets really slow and unresponsive and I have to limit text threads and frequently delete my dictionary data. And for a time it's better, but then slowly goes retarded again.

Please help me before I destroy my phone in rage.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

try a different keyboard. there are many in play store. eg swiftkey

i108

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I shouldn't NEED a different keyboard. The built-in one works with my themes, but yes, I've thought of switching for the inaccuracy of the Samsung one vs my old HTC One keyboard. It often puts in completely different words, can't seem to guess words if you get even a single letter off, etc. Also, THOUSANDS of e-mails, so long pressing and deleting is a ridiculous comment. It's a BEHAVIOR we are talking about.

Samsung support was of 0 help, some eastern european dude who I could barely understand and said to boot in safe mode.

Wiping ALL keyboard data temporarily works but it wipes all the stuff I saved too, and then it ALL comes back within a day.

Someone should get Samsung to acknowledge and fix this, guess it's yet another thing I have to spend time on, I seem to notice and care more than most.

i108

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Google keyboard works ok, I want it to show numbers though, not sure if it can, I told my friend to try it. I am sure it logs EVEN MORE than android.
Swiftkey, does it do swype? Might be ok. What's the best keyboard?

Anyone? Bueler?

joemontana

May 26, 2013
Visit site

I like the Swype keyboard

Joe
Verizon s6, marshmallow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neaseamy