Axgio Zest Magnetic Metal Bluetooth review

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The fine folks at Axgio provided me these Bluetooth earphones for review. I tested these headphones for a few days with my Samsung Galaxy Note 7. I was going to test them on my iPad and iPhone, however, I put them in my bag and forgot to pull up the vertical zipper – so it probably fell out somewhere. I looked everywhere and couldn’t find them. Which is a disappointment, because I really liked these earphones. I didn’t get a chance to take any pictures, but I will include a stock photo for reference.

5ec03545072c4cffc8c25881d506ad07.jpg

Build, Packing, and Fitment
The earphones came in a small box, and inside it was a soft shell case with a zipper to carry the Bluetooth earphones and accessories. In addition to the pouch, it also came with a microUSB charging cable, (3) ear wing sets, (3) ear tips, and a cable management clip. The medium sized ones were pre-installed, but you can use a smaller or larger one. I didn’t find the ear wings very useful, so I removed it. There is also a cable management clip, which, while not the most elegant design out there, does the job. I tried to use the cable management clip from my Jaybird earphones, and they worked better, except that they permanently creased the cable. It is important to spend a few minutes to set these up to your liking and to get a good fitment. Otherwise, sound quality could be poor with a poor fitment.

Physically, the earphones seem well constructed of both plastic and aluminum. They have a little heft to them, due to the aluminum and magnetic component, but it wasn’t overly heavy. The volume and power controls are built onto a rectangular housing on the wire, which also allows you to charge via the provided microUSB cable. Probably due to the magnetic component, they aren’t the smallest Bluetooth earphones around, but they also aren’t massive either.

Connection/Prompts/Controls
Pairing these is pretty easy. From the Powered Off state, press and hold the Power button until you hear it say Pairing. Then open the Bluetooth settings on your device and select the earphones. It may take a few seconds for your device to find the earphones.

The prompts for Power On, Power Off, Connected, Pairing, etc. are in English, which is nice because I have used Bluetooth earphones which have a series of beeps. For some reason, there is a slight “crackling” sound when at these prompts, but luckily there is no “crackling” when listening to music. There is no prompt when you press Play to start or stop music, but I don’t think you need one anyway. There is an audible beep when you press the Volume Up or Volume Down button. There is a longer audible beep when you hit maximum or minimum volume. Long pressing the Volume Up/Down buttons will allow you to go Next and Previous tracks, respectively.

The earphones power off after some time of inactivity to save batteries. To power on, simply long press the power button. It automatically reconnected to my phone.

Calls and Music
I have tested it for calls, and it works good. When getting a call, you will hear the ringtone through the Bluetooth earphones, and you press the center button to answer the call. Press the center button again to end the call. If you have music playing and receive a call, then the music will pause, and you will hear the ringtone. The music will continue again once you end the call.

The range of volume is very good, from very very low to VERY loud. When I say loud, I mean REALLY loud. Setting the earphones on my desk, I could use it as a Bluetooth speaker, granted not a very loud one, but you get the idea. I couldn’t listen to the volume on maximum because it hurt my ears. But to the sound didn’t distort even on the maximum level that wouldn’t hurt my ears.

Sound Quality
I am not an audiophile by any means, but I will say that music sounded good on these earphones. I also have a set of Jaybird X2, which I think sound a little better, but also cost 3-4x as much. It has a good amount of bass, but it isn’t bass heavy like Beats. I would say for most people, the sound quality would be more than adequate.

Exercising
One of the main reasons why I bought these are because of the water resistance (IPX6). I sweat quite a bit when exercising, and so far, these earphones still work great. They are noise isolating, so please be careful if you use them jogging in the streets. Even when running, there is very minimal cord noise. If you want to take off the earphones when exercising, then you can hang them around your neck using the magnetic clip. This is a nice addition because sometimes, my wife will come and talk to me a bit when I am exercising.

Conclusion
If you are looking for a pair of sport earphones in the $30 range, then look no further. These provide great quality for the budget oriented sport Bluetooth earphone shopper.

If you are interested, you can pick up these earphones at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AXGIO-Zest-B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5413875

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays