Backlight screen issues?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my new dna almost 2 weeks ago. I would demand for a new device this time though and not a reconditioned or refurbished one. Good luck.

Sent from my human DNA ;-)

Oh yes, that was after the new sku although there is no explanation for the sku change. I still have my new device, I haven't requested a replacement yet.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I took a trip down to my friendly neighborhood Verizon and AT&T stores today and made some interesting discoveries:

-'Shadowy' bottom was present on all 3 DNA floor models. Also, all three phones had some degree of shadowing along the sides and the blatantly visible backlighting along the top. I.e. the DNA has a crappy backlighting apparatus by design.
-All 3 had ugly digitizers

Going over to the AT&T store:

-I compared my DNA to the HTC One (which is kind of similar to the DNA) and found:
-The calibration on all 4 One floor models was much better color/contrast wise and the white point on the one was more similar to the iPhone 5 (DNA was more dim and yellow): generally, the panel seemed to be of better quality than the DNA aside from pixel density.
-They lost the crappy, visible digitizer and went with one that, at least in the store setting, I couldn't see with the screen on or off.
-Most importantly, it appears that they mostly improved the backlighting from the DNA. I couldn't make out and dimness or shadowing along the sides, though on 1 of the 4 units I noticed shadowy/dim bottom corners, similar to what the DNA has but to a much lesser extent. Generally, the backlighting was more Apple like (I.e. evenly distributed) aside from that one unit.

The moral of the story:
- DNA backlighting apparatus sucks by design (I won't be bothering with the hassle of another replacement)
-It looks like HTC mostly corrected this in the One, but being Verizon customers, we're a bit SOL in that regard at the moment

As a side note, I took a look at the S4 and while it is definitely an improvement over the S3 screen wise, the whites still have a yellow/green cast and the PenTile matrix is still visible.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had 1 DNA since November no issues no complaints I cannot figure out how one person can get so many bad units

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk