Battery drain with new update

R6Blitz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Installed 2.3.6 and battery drain was ridiculous. S2 would be almost dead after 8 hours. I then rooted, installed unnamed 2.2.1, siyah kernel, use setcpu, TB scripts, and undervolt. As i write this I am at 48% battery left after 36 hours of light to moderate use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got done speaking to customer service at ATT again regarding this issue. The last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when they urged me to wait on Samsung for a fix to this issue. They assured me that Samsung was aware of the issue. Well, I got tired of waiting and they are sending me a replacement phone. Hopefully I get lucky enough to get one that hasn't been updated to 2.3.6 yet. I figure if we can cost Samsung and ATT a few bucks to send a replacement they might get their software developer types to fix the bad code in the update a little faster.
Hope the replacement works better!

After getting tired of the run around from AT&T Tech Support and spending time talking with Samsung Tech Support, Samsung asked me if I would be willing to send my phone back to them for further analysis of the WiFi battery drain issue with 2.3.6
I don't think we should have to root our phones for them to work correctly nor should we suffer poor battery life with what looks to be clearly related to some sort of battery draining bug when on WiFi with the 2.3.6 update.
And to those who say keep the WiFi turned off, I don't have an unlimited data plan so WiFi is very important to me as is battery life

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this right, the drain is only with wifi turned on correct? So what is the battery life like with it turned off? I'm using mine only on wifi as my sim is in my iPhone4, I'm also run running unnamed rom. Will I see that big of a difference without wifi on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Reactions: coxey52

Onanda

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hope the replacement works better!

After getting tired of the run around from AT&T Tech Support and spending time talking with Samsung Tech Support, Samsung asked me if I would be willing to send my phone back to them for further analysis of the WiFi battery drain issue with 2.3.6
I don't think we should have to root our phones for them to work correctly nor should we suffer poor battery life with what looks to be clearly related to some sort of battery draining bug when on WiFi with the 2.3.6 update.
And to those who say keep the WiFi turned off, I don't have an unlimited data plan so WiFi is very important to me as is battery life

I'm glad that FINALLY they are at least accepted the fact there is a problem. All I've heard is denials. The ATT store refused to help me as my battery life was still 'within the norm' ! Thank you!

I don't know if it's WiFi or not and don't care since none of my settings changed and my battery life went down the cra@@er with this update. There is no reason this should have happened.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Update
Samsung sent me an email and said that they did find an issue and had installed new software and afterwards my phone passed all tests.
Since I wasn't clear on what this meant I called Samsung Tech Support and they said they found that when using WiFi there was a PRL bug (from 2.3.6) that caused the phone to keep looking for new PRL's even though I was using WiFi. This caused battery life to be impacted (my interpretation of what the Technician said)
Supposedly I have new updated software without the PRL bug when using WiFi?
My phone should be back on Wednesday and I will post as much information as I can

NOTE: I am not a Technician so please understand that the information posted above is based on my notes that I took when I was on a call w/Samsung today.

dr. acula

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue as everyone else in this thread. I loved this phone but now it wants me to plug it in after ~14 hours....I'm not a heavy user and I used to get about 36 hours.

I have adjusted the wifi to only activate when the screen is on but that has not helped as much as I thought it would.

This needs to be addressed and fixed....it's silly that something like this should detract so much from an otherwise top-of-the-line phone.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
PRL bug? WTF?

This is a GSM phone - there is no PRL. PRL is a CDMA thing.

Edit: When you get your device back, I'd be interested in getting a firmware dump of your device to see what changed.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I got the "new" warranty GS2 today and it had the good old 2.3.4 version on it. After 10 hours with the WI-FI on I'm back to very good battery life. Android OS and Android System have used 6% and 7% so far.
I would urge everyone who does not want to root their phones to request a warranty exchange.

nobodyisherenow

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
this battery drain is terrible. this software update = fail. my phone can go about 6hrs or so before i have to charge it back up. before i used to go about 1 1/2 days. i don't understand how the battery drains so quickly now from this update.

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope they fix this soon. I am getting tired of having to plug in my phone all the time. I feel like I am one step away from having to drag an extension cord around the house with me to keep it charged. You would think that they would have tested it before sending it out.

I am thinking about rooting it now. I was not going to before.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Exchanging the phone is one way to do it. It will come with 2.3.4. But the ATT system will keep bugging you to update as others have mentioned.

Rooting to a stock 2.3.4 is the only way to be sure your battery will not drain.

You can use 2C here [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

You can then use apps like Titanium back up to freeze unwanted bloatware apps too.

The only good things that 2.3.6 did was fix the lock screen issue and fix the AP mobile bug. everything else seemed to suck.

Rooted 2.3.4 will allow you to freeze AP mobile with if you buy Titanium Backup.

tephtowers

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
So I've been lurking on this thread for a while, comparing my problems to everyone else's and I've had about the same experience... Battery started to drain extremely quickly after the update to 2.3.6, AT&T told me to talk to Samsung, etc. (but I hadn't had a chance to make the call yet...)

But suddenly, the problem has stopped. Has anyone else had this happen? Before the update I was getting 2 days out of the phone (I'd say 36-40 hours per charge approximately) and since the update I haven't even been making it through one (and by one day I mean morning to bed time at night... It has been dying in the evening typically) even though I have been using the phone LESS to make the battery last.

Today I started to notice a total change in the battery's behavior. Right now, after about 9 hours of use I am at approximately 70%... I've treated the phone pretty normally, checked email, sent texts, talked for maybe an hour or hour and a half, and played some words with friends... yet today it is lasting. My settings are 100% the same.

It is a fantastic change, but totally bizarre. Any ideas? I'll keep an eye on it over the next few battery cycles, hopefully this sticks!

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Exchanging the phone is one way to do it. It will come with 2.3.4. But the ATT system will keep bugging you to update as others have mentioned.

Rooting to a stock 2.3.4 is the only way to be sure your battery will not drain.

You can use 2C here [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

You can then use apps like Titanium back up to freeze unwanted bloatware apps too.

The only good things that 2.3.6 did was fix the lock screen issue and fix the AP mobile bug. everything else seemed to suck.

Rooted 2.3.4 will allow you to freeze AP mobile with if you buy Titanium Backup.
You do not need to purchase TiBu - freezing is an easy way to do it, but simply removing the APK for the AP Mobile widget works too. (I forget the exact widget name - it's not immediately obvious which one is the AP Mobile widget - I'm very aggressive with my debloating though, I remove quite a bit of other stuff.)

You also need to freeze or remove some of the device management services or you'll get a forced update to UCKK6.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I solved the issue by selling my GS2 and buying a NIB GSM unlocked GN, now I am loving my new GN with ICS 4.0.2 and no battery problems when using WFi :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene