Battery life thread

Agpe17

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Please read my previous posts in this thread!

Long story short: having to charge my phone TWICE per day; battery going down to 30% in 3 hours continuously with EVERYTHING OFF.

Reactions: AeroEngi

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Heres my experience:
I got this phone for my girl when amazon had their 111.11 deal. Came in mail last night. Charged for less than 30 minutes while self-activating. This was around 9:30pm last night. My girl has been using it (she is a moderate/light user) and the thing didnt cut off until 1:15pm the next day. This was with 4g LTE on. Although I did have some smart actions set up for her to disable data after about 15%. However, I was really surprised with the battery output of this device. Since Verizon extended their return policy I went ahead and got one as well (until GN comes out :) ). Since I use phone a bit more I will keep posted on more extensive use for me.

Hope this helped.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
How many of you have the "Battery Extender" Smart Action set up to disable data when the screen is off? I'm curious to see why so many people are getting mixed results concerning battery life. I'll bet the people who are getting really good battery life are using the smart action to disable data when the screen is off and the ones who are getting really bad battery life are not using the smart action.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
How many of you have the "Battery Extender" Smart Action set up to disable data when the screen is off? I'm curious to see why so many people are getting mixed results concerning battery life. I'll bet the people who are getting really good battery life are using the smart action to disable data when the screen is off and the ones who are getting really bad battery life are not using the smart action.

Wouldn't turning off cellular data when the screen is off mess with receiving text messages? I can see disabling it when wi-fi is on, but not every time the screen is off.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah...disabling data with the screen off would stop you from getting emails, etc..

I disable cellular data while on wifi, but that's the only time.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't turning off cellular data when the screen is off mess with receiving text messages? I can see disabling it when wi-fi is on, but not every time the screen is off.

You will still get texts without data. Also, the data only gets cut if no movement is detected.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
AeroEngi, Gags1892, rickc1015 do you guys use Screebl? If so try and disable or uninstall it and see if that helps with the high Android OS %.

AeroEngi

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
AeroEngi, Gags1892, rickc1015 do you guys use Screebl? If so try and disable or uninstall it and see if that helps with the high Android OS %.

No, I don't use Screebl but for some reason my Android OS % was always higher than my screen percentage until I set up a smart action to disable the cell data and background sync.

This is what it looks like:

TRIGGER:
Display Off
Not Charging
Headphones Unplugged (in case I wanna stream Pandora or something)
No Movement

Action:
Disable Cellular Data
Background Sync Off

This seems to really bring the Android OS % down quite a bit.

bubbadog

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The 4g eats the battery. I compared 2 days with same use and activity. 1st day w/4g the 2nd day 3g. Unplugged phone from charger at 5am both days. By 9pm on 1st day only 20% left. By 10:30 pm on 2nd day 50% left. No other changes

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I disable cellular data via smart actions when connected to wifi. I'm hooked to wifi and home and work, so I think that really helps.

DJJeffT

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Me too -- I'm going to report results as they come!

Curious to know how your replacement goes.

I got my RAZR on Friday...and it's eating battery up big time. Have to charge midday with light to no use.

Android OS is at the top of the battery use list almost double the Display which I have set to zero.

I do have wifi, BT and GPS on...and had 4G on too, but why do I have a 4G phone if I need to clock it down to 3G? I could just keep my DroidX????

Davenurse

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
DJJeffT, you cannot have everything on(, BT, wifi , gps and 4G) and expect to get anything but very poor battery life. Thats not just this phone but any phone.

Last edited:

jcapen87

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site

The only smart action I use is to disable cellular data and enable Wifi when I'm at home. I don't want my phone not connected to the internet when the screen is off, that seems useless to me (no offense). So far, so good. My 2nd FULL charge since the day I got it, and I'm at 60% left after 22 hours.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
DJJeffT, you cannot have everything on(, BT, GPS and 4G) and expect to get anything but very poor battery life. Thats not just this phone but any phone.

Slight clarification: Any android smartphone phone. I remember crackberries going days with all that enabled and moderate usage (not 4g, granted -- wasn't around then).

Otherwise, I totally agree.