Battery Maintenance

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've read that every 60 days or so it's a good idea to let the Nexus battery completely discharge before recharging it. Correct?
What happens to Nexus hardware, software, and apps when the battery runs down to zero? Auto shut-down? Any harm done?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure people will still debate this, but from what I know, there is no need to completely discharge the battery in any modern device to keep it healthy. It's generally a bad idea to let your battery get close to true zero anyway, because if it completely discharges, the battery is irreversibly dead. Devices will auto-shutdown before it gets to true zero, but then you'd want to get it on a charger before too much time passes.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
B. Diddy is correct. Completely discharging a lithium battery will kill it. There is no need to try and run it down as far as it will let you. Just continue to charge as needed.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting paper.
It says that for most effective charge, battery should be "off" when re-charging. I generally have my N7 in a "sleep" mode when recharging so that I hear notification when charging reaches 100%. I guess the small current drain is acceptable.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly it, just charge when you start getting low, between maybe 10 & 30%

But no need to wait that long either. If it's at 90% and it's a good time to plug in, go for it. I simply charge my devices every night, no matter what their charge level is. I don't have to think about battery life, because I rarely use my phone or tablet enough in one day to run it out, so the "charge every night" habit means everything's always working. I'd say just try to keep from running it out completely too often, and don't worry about it beyond that.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the experts in that article suggest 0 drain current during charging is so the Battery monitor circuit can correctly know when it reaches 100%
It did state that if overcharged , some battery stress is possible..
I always shut my N7 off when charging either with the Micro port or the Qi charger. I generally will recharge when it gets somewhere below 50% but if I know I will be using it the
next day I will charge even if it is 85% or so..But that's just me..Heat is also a big problem thus I do not try to let it fully discharge to minimise heating.
Goodluck to you
jolphil