Battery Puffy on Note 20

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue? My work phone which is a Note 20 (not ultra), I've noticed lately hasn't been sitting flat on desks. even with my case on it, it wobbles and the case makes the camera bump flat. If you look at it well, you can see the back is pushing out and I can push it back in like a balloon feeling. It's near 2 years old, so definitely not in warranty any longer. Battery life hasn't had any noticeable change either. Not sure what I should do or continue using it till I either leave my job (moving in a couple of months), and turn it in, or have them get it fixed. I am thinking about doing the first option if it'll make it.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I think I would see if your employer would replace it so you can transfer the data while it's still working. It probably depends on how important the data/files are on that phone. If it decides to stop functioning, you may lose info from that phone. If nothing else, you may want to let your employer know that you have concerns.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If the battery is protruding out from the back case that's dangerous and not good , get it fix ASAP and stop using .

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue? My work phone which is a Note 20 (not ultra), I've noticed lately hasn't been sitting flat on desks. even with my case on it, it wobbles and the case makes the camera bump flat. If you look at it well, you can see the back is pushing out and I can push it back in like a balloon feeling. It's near 2 years old, so definitely not in warranty any longer. Battery life hasn't had any noticeable change either. Not sure what I should do or continue using it till I either leave my job (moving in a couple of months), and turn it in, or have them get it fixed. I am thinking about doing the first option if it'll make it.
Agree that you should get that fixed as it can be a dangerous situation. This has happened to me with Samsung phones twice and both right about before 2 yrs old. Your back of the phone or screen will eventually lift off. Note 8 and Note 9. Samsung will charge you over $60 to replace the battery so get it fixed by your work.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In actuality it shouldn't be dangerous but it's time for the battery to be replaced. The batteries expand so they don't have reason to explode. We see this all the time at work with our Dell laptops that customers only plug in when they have to, SMH. It's time for the battery...or the phone to be replaced. ...but from my understanding, it is not dangerous. In fact, it's expanding so that it WON'T become dangerous. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In actuality it shouldn't be dangerous but it's time for the battery to be replaced. The batteries expand so they don't have reason to explode. We see this all the time at work with our Dell laptops that customers only plug in when they have to, SMH. It's time for the battery...or the phone to be replaced. ...but from my understanding, it is not dangerous. In fact, it's expanding so that it WON'T become dangerous. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

This is from the iFixit site: https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/What_to...,A PROFESSIONAL REPAIR TECHNICIAN IMMEDIATELY.

Better safe than sorry -- get it replaced ASAP (or discard it safely)!

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Agree that you should get that fixed as it can be a dangerous situation. This has happened to me with Samsung phones twice and both right about before 2 yrs old. Your back of the phone or screen will eventually lift off. Note 8 and Note 9. Samsung will charge you over $60 to replace the battery so get it fixed by your work.
Yep, and this one is close to 2 yrs old too.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep if the battery expands enough to break through the battery layers it will short circuit and cause an immediate fire.... any time, any where. It's no joke and a very dangerous situation. It's the same basic thing the note 7's were doing... burning down houses/cars, igniting in public/in pockets... that's because the batteries were being squeezed into too small of a space, puncturing the layers in the battery. Same thing your bloating battery could do.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Looks like my impression was wrong. I thought they designed the batteries to expand rather than catch fire or explode. Seems I was mistaken.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Looks like my impression was wrong. I thought they designed the batteries to expand rather than catch fire or explode. Seems I was mistaken.

It's not likely, but the possibility is there. It's a bit of a gamble... and one I wouldn't want to lose :eek:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think acting on this issue before any chance of injury or further damage to the device becomes more likely. I advise not leaving it charging overnight or when you are out of sight of the phone. Please keep us posted on what happens!

jzccherry

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
I just read these posts. I purchased the Samsung Note 20 Ultra a little more than 2 years ago. I am wondering about other users who might have been affected by the same problem that I just started having a week ago. I brought the phone to the Samsung Experience store and the tech at the store told me that the battery has been swelling up and pushing out the back case. The phone was never dropped and was always used in a Samsung case.

I want to see how common this problem is.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Many, many videos on YouTube about Samsung's battery issues. Less since the Galaxy Note 7 days but still a known issue.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just read these posts. I purchased the Samsung Note 20 Ultra a little more than 2 years ago. I am wondering about other users who might have been affected by the same problem that I just started having a week ago. I brought the phone to the Samsung Experience store and the tech at the store told me that the battery has been swelling up and pushing out the back case. The phone was never dropped and was always used in a Samsung case.

I want to see how common this problem is.
Welcome to AC!
Yeah Samsung batteries been known to swell up especially if put in storage for long periods of time