Bestbuy vs VerizonWireless

Da Black Mamba

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Will Best Buy sell an out of contract phone? I think I remember reading that Costco only sells contract devices when you have an upgrade available.

Yeah I do it all the time. Sadly, our prices for outright usually sucks, so just have them price match VZW . ex: first month droid 3 was out, VZW had it for 460 while we had it for 600.

And byrds8, you're right my bad. When I thought 3rd party I was only thinking radioshack, walmart, target, best buy.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Since I'll be buying off contract, I was planning on getting it from Amazon Wireless, so I could avoid tax, but I recently found out that they charge $100 more for off contract phones than Verizon, themselves, do. So, I'll probably end up having to order through Verizon, as I'd think the tax will be less than the extra $100 Amazon will charge.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
$100 more? For the two years I've been with the company, I have yet to see a new phone be priced higher on contract than a carrier.

I should have verified that. I don't buy my phones on contract anymore. It's $100 more if you buy off contract. And they will match Verizon as long as they have the phone in stock. Contract prices will be the same. My bad.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think let's talk and wirefly are affiliated, but I know wirefly has an etf. You cannot alter any aspect of your plan including buying a different phone off contact for 6 months. It's a $300 fee. This is on top of vz's etf. So if you were to switch carriers in that 6 months, you would pay dearly. It's in the fine print, they are so sneaky.

Sent from my SCH-I510

You can alter your plan as long as you alter it in a way that adds to it not goes down. Also you can buy any phone you want to use as long as the plan stays the same. They get their commission off the plan not off the device.

chuck41520

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought my rezound and was told it was until January 26. I spoke with the manager because it sounded too good to be true to me as well. Fortunately this years holiday return policy includes cell phones which extends to mid January for returns. Maybe my best buy is different? Doubtful but possible.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
By the time the GN comes out the 30 day return will be Jan 8th anyway so I don't see that as a big deal. My wife got her son a Samsung Fascinete but took it back and got him a iPhone because he already knew how to use one. Almost every phone at Best Buy was cheaper on contract then the Verizon store (I checked both the same day) plus the insurance plan was better. Not only replace phone on the spot but no deductible and we where told it covered lost or stolen also (need to double check that now after this thread).

I may go to both Verizon and BB before I buy just to make sure i can get the best deal but I'm thinking BB right now.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mine from best buy.

I hope a nexus S 4G from sprint back in May with buy back for 50 bucks. I got 350 for the phone. I will be moving to Verizon and using the entire amount to pay for my galaxy nexus + buy back. That's the only reason to even consider best buy, that buy back program is awesome if your phone is pretty cheap. And because i like to buy a phone every year, the buy back can offset some of the amount. The best way to do it is really use the buy back every other year.

I also have a sprint Galaxy S2 phone that I'll be selling. To save to say my phone piggy back is pretty stocked.

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
By the time the GN comes out the 30 day return will be Jan 8th anyway so I don't see that as a big deal. My wife got her son a Samsung Fascinete but took it back and got him a iPhone because he already knew how to use one. Almost every phone at Best Buy was cheaper on contract then the Verizon store (I checked both the same day) plus the insurance plan was better. Not only replace phone on the spot but no deductible and we where told it covered lost or stolen also (need to double check that now after this thread).

I may go to both Verizon and BB before I buy just to make sure i can get the best deal but I'm thinking BB right now.

The protection plan DOESN'T COVER LOST OR STOLEN! Were offer locked and found which is free when you buy the plan.

Via Thunderbolt!

Reactions: tx_tuff

m3incorp

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I checked with my Best Buy about getting a Razr at Upgrade Price and what my return period would be. They told me that for Verizon it is the 14 day Verizon period to return for a different phone and that third parties were not honoring the Verizon Buy Nov 15-Dec 31 and return by Jan 9th policy. He did say could return within 30 days for same phone. .....I'm guessing that it depends on the particular region and employee that you talk to. With that being said, I went into a Verizon non-corporate store today and both guys stated that Verizon Corporate didn't have any such return policy for the holidays.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hmm I checked with my Best Buy about getting a Razr at Upgrade Price and what my return period would be. They told me that for Verizon it is the 14 day Verizon period to return for a different phone and that third parties were not honoring the Verizon Buy Nov 15-Dec 31 and return by Jan 9th policy. He did say could return within 30 days for same phone. .....I'm guessing that it depends on the particular region and employee that you talk to. With that being said, I went into a Verizon non-corporate store today and both guys stated that Verizon Corporate didn't have any such return policy for the holidays.

I would have just showed them the proof on VZW's site...

Return Policy - Verizon Wireless

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had a terrible experience trying to get a Nexus S at Best Buy back in January. They simply couldn't sign me up for a new T-Mobile contract at the store. I gave up and got a T-Bolt from Verizon. I can't recommend Best Buy for anything more sophisticated than Blu-ray discs.

I'm probably going to get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus off contract at a Verizon store if I can. I'm a little worried about activating the SIM and transferring my service, so I think being at a Verizon store may help if there are problems.

mngdew

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

The 14 day is with VZW and the 30 day (or 45 days if you are Prmier Silver Rewardzone member). You have 14 days to get your upgrade back from VZW, so if VZW is running a promotion you are entitle to it.
As for the 30 day return with BB, you can return the phone and get another phone which doesn't have to be the same phone. I exchanged a Bionic with a RAZR.

sw33tooth

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
That's false info. Anything with a traditional 30 day return policy gets extended until january. Forgot the exact date but I can find out when I go back tomorrow if its that important.
Oh its really important to me! cause the asshat at bby mobile was being a prick when i question him about it. I asked him to show me where it says it in the policy and he couldnt

Reactions: grayzweb

goldkear

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
best buys insurance is awful, more money for less coverage. However, you also won't have to monkey with a rebate.
I'll probably buy mine from verizon's website, they tend to give an additional $50 off, and I have no idea why. I preordered my dinc and got it on launch day for $150 plus tax, and free shipping.

Last edited:

JRZLocal

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Verizon usually has a 14 day return policy with a 35 restock fee, but for the holidays you have till Jan. 15th to return a device as long as you bought it after Nov. 15th. Best buy is better because of no restock fee and their prices are usually cheaper if you buy on contract, however best buy usually won't help with setup like transferring contacts and setting up email. Best buy has the better deals, but Verizon corporate stores have better tech/service.

CDuke0619

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I am not eligible for an upgrade through Verizon until January 29th. If I buy a Galaxy Nexus from Best Buy since they have the holiday return policy I can get them to price match Verizon's off contract price and then return it on the 24th correct with no restocking fee as long as its in good condition? I am too impatient and just have to have the phone when it comes out!

thescreensavers

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not eligible for an upgrade through Verizon until January 29th. If I buy a Galaxy Nexus from Best Buy since they have the holiday return policy I can get them to price match Verizon's off contract price and then return it on the 24th correct with no restocking fee as long as its in good condition? I am too impatient and just have to have the phone when it comes out!

.... Get your upgrade date moved. There should be no reason why you should buy any phone at full price if your upgrade is coming up so soon. Come on man, use your brain lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d