Big time Samsung noob - Apps install on new page

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
First time Samsung user coming from the pixel. Using one UI on my S20 ultra configured to use stock Android gestures. Whenever I install a new app it installs on page 3 when there are still 2 blank rows open on page 2 (room for 10 additional apps).

Page 1 is my home screen, page 2 is what I'm trying to fill up. When a new app installs, a third page is created. I then hold and drag it over to page 2 and delete the third page. The next app install still creates a 3rd page.

Fresh install. Did not restore any apps/settings from my pixel. Any ideas or possible bug?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is an annoyance that's been around for a while, if you already have an icon at the lower right of your screen. If that's the case, then regardless of how many other spots above it are open, the system will still look for an empty spot at the lower right, and not finding it, will add it to a new page.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Turn off add new apps to home page. Then you can add what you want, where you want. Used to be under settings in play store.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
First time Samsung user coming from the pixel. Using one UI on my S20 ultra configured to use stock Android gestures. Whenever I install a new app it installs on page 3 when there are still 2 blank rows open on page 2 (room for 10 additional apps).

Page 1 is my home screen, page 2 is what I'm trying to fill up. When a new app installs, a third page is created. I then hold and drag it over to page 2 and delete the third page. The next app install still creates a 3rd page.

Fresh install. Did not restore any apps/settings from my pixel. Any ideas or possible bug?
You can disable app drawer and you'll just have screens of your apps on home page

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
And if you long press an app from the app drawer and click "add to home" it then looks for a spot on the Home Screen or you can drag it to wear you want. I forget what it does if the Home Screen is full. I don't think it displaces another app. It might go to the next screen. View attachment 318015
B. Diddy correct though been a issue , I think a 3rd party launcher Nova can fix that though

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is an annoyance that's been around for a while, if you already have an icon at the lower right of your screen. If that's the case, then regardless of how many other spots above it are open, the system will still look for an empty spot at the lower right, and not finding it, will add it to a new page.
B Diddy, thank you this was exactly the issue. I had a Bixby routine toggle in the bottom right that I didn't think to mention. I moved it and now apps are installing on the next open spot as expected. Impressed you knew exactly what the issue was as the cause is obscure.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah remember seeing that
There's an example.
434c45649018ee2435184b74c4a9471c.jpg

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Would love to have the option of using a 3rd party launcher. Since you lose stock gestures and have either 3 button navigation or Samsung gestures as your only options, I can't switch. Coming from a pixel the stock gestures is what feels most comfortable and natural. 3 button navigation feels like going back in time.

One UI is still so new that I'm enjoying learning it's strengths and weaknesses but I hope at some point Android 10 gestures are opened up to 3rd party launchers. I know this is something Google needs to fix. I've also read there is an ADB command you can run to enable stock gestures in 3rd party launchers, but there are screen flashes and glitching when they are enabled.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Would love to have the option of using a 3rd party launcher. Since you lose stock gestures and have either 3 button navigation or Samsung gestures as your only options, I can't switch. Coming from a pixel the stock gestures is what feels most comfortable and natural. 3 button navigation feels like going back in time.

One UI is still so new that I'm enjoying learning it's strengths and weaknesses but I hope at some point Android 10 gestures are opened up to 3rd party launchers. I know this is something Google needs to fix. I've also read there is an ADB command you can run to enable stock gestures in 3rd party launchers, but there are screen flashes and glitching when they are enabled.
I would avoid as a newbie any adb cmd , but should look Samsung Good Lock app in GALAXY App Store for further customization to the UI

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I would avoid as a newbie any adb cmd , but should look Samsung Good Lock app in GALAXY App Store for further customization to the UI
I'm a Samsung one UI noob but not an Android noob. I regularly flashed OTA monthly updates via ADB to my pixel devices. Had there not been glitchy behavior reported as a side effect I would have already run said ADB command so I could use other launchers and stock gestures. Would also have no issues flashing carrier specific firmware on my unlocked device if it gave me something useful.

It is good advice to leave the experimental stuff alone if you are not the techie type.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm a Samsung one UI noob but not an Android noob. I regularly flashed OTA monthly updates via ADB to my pixel devices. Had there not been glitchy behavior reported as a side effect I would have already run said ADB command so I could use other launchers and stock gestures. Would also have no issues flashing carrier specific firmware on my unlocked device if it gave me something useful.

It is good advice to leave the experimental stuff alone if you are not the techie type.
Sorry thought you were complete newbie, well like I mentioned good lock app something to look at for Samsung phones if you haven't already .

whero103

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung phones, having had various models of HTC up until a couple of weeks ago when I got an S20+. I had this same problem of new apps (or even apps in my existing list if I pressed the app icon and chose Add to Home) always creating a new home screen "page" even if there was plenty of room on existing pages. Drove me crazy.

I tried several different things that various people advised (like changing options in the Play Store app or keeping the bottom right space on the screen empty) but this is the only thing that worked for me - hopefully it works for other people too:
1. Go to Settings > Display > Home screen and disable the Add apps to Home screen option.
2. To add an app to the home screen, long press the icon in the app drawer, and drag it up to the top of the screen (don't let go).
3. The app draw closes and the home screen appears, so you can move the app to wherever you want.

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Samsung phones, having had various models of HTC up until a couple of weeks ago when I got an S20+. I had this same problem of new apps (or even apps in my existing list if I pressed the app icon and chose Add to Home) always creating a new home screen "page" even if there was plenty of room on existing pages. Drove me crazy.

I tried several different things that various people advised (like changing options in the Play Store app or keeping the bottom right space on the screen empty) but this is the only thing that worked for me - hopefully it works for other people too:
1. Go to Settings > Display > Home screen and disable the Add apps to Home screen option.
2. To add an app to the home screen, long press the icon in the app drawer, and drag it up to the top of the screen (don't let go).
3. The app draw closes and the home screen appears, so you can move the app to wherever you want.

Solid tip whero. This is good to know know with Android phones in general as you can follow those steps on most Android devices. When I switch launchers I follow these steps to get things just like I want them.

If the app installs on a new page as I previously described, your steps of long pressing the icon and dragging it where you want it will also work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23