Bionic screen the same size as the HD?... 4.5?

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can tell that definitively from the pics. You have to agree that they aren't the usual moto buttons tho and they look more honeycomb like than anything on a phone, no?

I can definitely see where the viewing area ends but I do agree the buttons are different.

Sent from my Droid

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just a note on screen/phone size - I will be going from a Storm 2, 3.25" screen to a 4.3" on the Bionic; although I was hoping for 4.5". I read so many people complaining about the size...anything over 4" is like carrying a brick in your pocket. I was in Wal*Mart the other day and looked at the Proton, which is supposed to be "close to a Bionic," and I got to tell you it still looked small to me. It even felt small and comfortable in my hand and now I know I really want to move up to a 4.5" my next phone (after the Bionic). Yes, I know there MAY BE some 4.5" ones coming out by December, but I am done waiting.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BB tour I believe ANYTHING will represent an awesome screen size for me... 4.3...4.5... really people are going nuts complaining about the difference, IMO

Though I for one hope it won't be too hard adjusting to life without that BB keyboard :)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BB tour I believe ANYTHING will represent an awesome screen size for me... 4.3...4.5... really people are going nuts complaining about the difference, IMO

Though I for one hope it won't be too hard adjusting to life without that BB keyboard :)

If it ends up being a pain without a physical keyboard, by the time your contract is up, there'll be a Droid 5 lol, pick that up.

I for one am tired of this Chocolate, I've always had way too small of phones. I'm used to carrying around my PSP so this is no problem.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If it ends up being a pain without a physical keyboard, by the time your contract is up, there'll be a Droid 5 lol, pick that up.

I for one am tired of this Chocolate, I've always had way too small of phones. I'm used to carrying around my PSP so this is no problem.

Lol yeah if I was REALLY afraid of leaving keyboardland I would have just got the D3 by now. I'm going for the full jump to android, touchscreen keyboards and all. I'm sure I'll be fine after the initial adjustment period. Bionic ought to be sick enough for make me forget all about this Tour, haha..

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah if I was REALLY afraid of leaving keyboardland I would have just got the D3 by now. I'm going for the full jump to android, touchscreen keyboards and all. I'm sure I'll be fine after the initial adjustment period. Bionic ought to be sick enough for make me forget all about this Tour, haha..

I was afraid of leaving the "click" screen on the Storm...I really liked that "physical response," rather than "pecking" on a solid touchscreen, but now, I am really looking forward to this new Bionic...also a little tepid about the Android OS, but, from what I've seen, I think I will like it.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid of leaving the "click" screen on the Storm...I really liked that "physical response," rather than "pecking" on a solid touchscreen, but now, I am really looking forward to this new Bionic...also a little tepid about the Android OS, but, from what I've seen, I think I will like it.

My week on the Charge really got my mouth watering for Android OS and I can't wait to get back to it. Not to mention I hijack my wifes D3 I got her and it gives me my fix while I wait. You will like it alot considering we are coming from the same phone my friend.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you download swiftkey you wont need a hardware keyboard.

Idk, seems expensive for a keyboard ($4 on the site i see) and I'm already reading very mixed reviews. I'll probably just use the stock keyboard unless it really bugs me or someone shows me something significantly better.

On the same note, as this will be my first android phone I already know I'm gonna have so much learning to do.. besides rooting etc (which I guess I won't have to stress until bionic is rooted anyway) I have really no idea what people are talking about when it comes to custom launchers and roms and all the other junk I'm going to need to customize/maximize my phone.. Started doing some reading through the rooting forums and FAQ's but I'm still pretty lost, lol. Any recommended reading to learn about these things?

FWIW I'm a pretty tech-minded guy and don't usually need things dumbed down, just some good explanations should do fine..

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Idk, seems expensive for a keyboard ($4 on the site i see) and I'm already reading very mixed reviews. I'll probably just use the stock keyboard unless it really bugs me or someone shows me something significantly better.

On the same note, as this will be my first android phone I already know I'm gonna have so much learning to do.. besides rooting etc (which I guess I won't have to stress until bionic is rooted anyway) I have really no idea what people are talking about when it comes to custom launchers and roms and all the other junk I'm going to need to customize/maximize my phone.. Started doing some reading through the rooting forums and FAQ's but I'm still pretty lost, lol. Any recommended reading to learn about these things?

FWIW I'm a pretty tech-minded guy and don't usually need things dumbed down, just some good explanations should do fine..

Swiftkey is absolutely fantastic with absolutely excellent and responsive developers. $4 is freaking cheap.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

A custom launcher is a replacement for the "Skin" that is on your phone. Not really a replacement since it runs on top of the stock "Skin". On the Bionic the skin is MotoBlur. This gives your phone a new or different feel. In most cases you will not need root to use these.

A custom ROM is a totally Custom Android Operating System build for your phone. Some of these are very very good, and others are buggy and crap. Use caution with new ROM's

Think of a Launcher as new Paint for your car, and a Custom ROM as a total rebuild.

I myself have not done any rooting or work with custom ROM's since my OG Droid. From personal experience the Stock ROMs worked fine for me. I only needed root to install WiFi tether since VZW didn't offer it for the OG Droid. I now can pay for this feature on my current device.

Just my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nictu