Blackberry Qnx vs Google Android my comparison

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
bitek, I would suggest you compare your PlayBook and BlackBerry smart phone to current Android products. As blackmannx said, the Tab Plus is older. You may as well go compare it to the PlayBook pre 2.0. Then watch as this forum trashes the tablet for a lack of native email, contacts, and calendar.

I've owned the PlayBook since its release. (I'm one of the suckers who bought a 16GB for $500.) Much of what you say I agree with, such as muti-tasking, but other points I disagree with. This includes some of your responses.

The browser for many is still crashing. It did it to me the other day, as well as a friend who also owns one. Both of us were on 2.0. (Please don't count 2.1 beta in this debate.)

Stating the quality of apps as not being good... How far opposite from my experience could you be? Evernote for Android blows the PlayBook (and most certainly the BB6/BB7 version) out of the water. Facebook is better. Twitter actually exists! (Which beats out Blaq.) Even the simple email client is better in my opinion!

The multi-tasking however, I am still on your side. It is one of the few things I do miss. blackmannx is trying to say that 4.0+ has it covered, and yes, it's easy to switch back and forth between apps. But, it's not like the PlayBook when you have music playing in the YouTube app, and when you go to the browser, the music keeps going. That doesn't happen on Android. With the exception of music, once you leave an app, it pauses and doesn't keep going. (Samsung has an exception I've found on their new Note 10.1, but it's only between select apps.)

Coincidently to coming across this thread, I just wrote up a blog article about my own experience of moving to Android from BlackBerry. Feel free to give it a read. 'Peg City Nerd: From BlackBerry to Android. My thoughts after 60 days.

Playbook browser is not crashing for me since 2.0. 2.1 is not in beta anymore. I've seen both Facebook app on Android and Playbook and Playbook is better imo as Android version is for phones not tablets. Many apps can be sideloaded on Playbook. True multitasking is great. I love it. There are things that i like on Android but i still think it is awkward OS.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
That's funny cause at my work there is only 2 choices, BlackBerry because of its security and SMIME capabilities and device's on the byod side. They will not be looking at Android or Windows phones because of the poor security.

As far as my personal device, I have a S3 I upgraded from my 4s on reviews and from listening to what was said here about the S3.

My iPhone 4s never had any issues, hardware or OS. This pos S3 for all of its great specs is one big craptastic mistake. The battery sucks, the screen sucks, the os is meh. Was expecting so much more. :eek:

Give me an iPhone 5 for personal phone and BlackBerry 10 for work phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
Listen, Im a longtime BB user and RIM fan. I switched to an SG3 a little over a month ago....talking phones here. The reason i switched was because of hardware failure on my 9930. I wasnt buying a two year old device when BB10 is right around the corner.

Ive always been intruiged by android so i thought id give it a try. I will tell you my experience thusfar with SG3 has been awesome! Anyone that says this device is a mistake simply isnt being realistic or you have a faulty device.

I certainly hope RIM continues to move forward but in the meantime i will enjoy the android experience!

AtInsider

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Anybody believing that BlackBerry is done is delusional. BlackBerry is the most secure mobile network you will find in the world. BlackBerry is growing world wide, is being used in 175 countries.
Here's some facts:
$2.3B cash and No Debt. ($2.2B in 2011 - $2.3B in 2012)
80+ Million (Approx) Blackberry users Global
60+ Million (Approx) BBM Users Global
3+ Billion BB App World Downloads
From 2011 into 2012, gained an additional 5 Million more subscribers and growing.
QNX is one of the most efficient, powerful OS's ever created.
BB being used and growing Globally in 175 Countries.
90% Fortune 500 Companies.

QNX Neutrino is widely used as the basis for automotive electromechanical components, for industrial control systems, NASA's Space Program, medical instruments, defense systems, nuclear power plants, and other mission-critical applications. The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet computer designed by Research In Motion uses a version of QNX as the primary operating system.

Tell me will they ever use Android or iOS or Windows in Mission Critical Applications? Absolutely Not because they would crash. RIM now holds all the patents for QNX. And now I believe RIM has harnessed the power of QNX and most likely have created the most secure, mega tasking mobile network in the world, once again. Oh, and yes Obama can't wait to get his BB10 L series.

If RIM was to sell QNX and it's patents say tomorrow for some reason, it would probably go on sale for between $800B to $1T.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
QNX is one amazing piece of technology. As AtInsider and some of my associates in the industry has stated, it is industrial-grade technology - you will find it military tanks, fighter planes, nuclear power plants, etc. It is very powerful, extremely flexible and darn-right reliable.

I do see Blackberry reclaiming their hold on the corporate world, and perhaps, getting a chunk of the consumer market. Android will retain it's domination on the consumer market, but one company I see losing big in this shift will be Apple.

advcomputer

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a PB and several Android tablets and be to very honest they all have their own issues. The PB is superior in functionality, OS and in many cases hardware build. The Android tablets have more apps and more customization.

For me this is not a religious war, but rather what works for me and in some cases one is better than the other, but they are all pretty good devices.

just my 2 cents

-j

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
True to its Super Bowl ad, Blackberry will set itself on fire, and turn into a puff of smoke. Such is the fate of this fourth rated amateurish manufacturer out of canada.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver