Bluetooth audio stutters when phone is held a particular way

awinash

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know the issue sounds weird. But it occurs often and is annoying. The issue is reproducible too.

Bluetooth music playback stutters while applying pressure with my fingers on the top right corner of the phone. It happens when my left palm is wrapped around the phone (and my index and middle fingers are pressing on the side of the phone just above the power button). It happens just by applying pressure on that spot. It also happens when the back of the phone is pressed against my body (chest, arms, etc). It appears like my fingers block or my body absorbs the Bluetooth radio waves.

Does anyone face the same issue with the Pixel phones? Does this happen on any other phone?

I have a Pixel XL 128 GB paired to a Klipsch R-15PM Powered Bluetooth bookshelf speakers. I have a Rhinoshield Bumper that surrounds the phone but still leaves the front and back completely open. The distance between phone and speakers is ~8 ft-9 ft.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth signals can be blocked by water, which means that your body can cause interference. I've seen this as well with my Nexus 6P, if my phone is in my jacket pocket while listening to music via Bluetooth, and if I bend forward (thus essentially enveloping the phone with my body).

Check out this article: What Are Some Signal Interference Issues for the Bluetooth Technology? | Chron.com

I used to have the same thing happen with my 6P when I was in one particular position - the "plank" - during my morning gym routine. I figure that in that position there was maximum amount of "body" between my phone in the front pocket of my shorts and my headset.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have actually noticed some similar symptoms as of late. Even the last couple days. I will be connected to my sound bar via BT, and say when i place my phone on the table or when picking it up, the audio will stutter until I get settled.

Strife21

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
This happens when I am listening to music in my car some sometimes. I pick it up to change the song and when I move it a certain way the bluetooth cuts out for a brief moment. I have had 2 separate pixels that have done this.