Asus Zenfone 8 mini - audio doesnt work if Bluetooth is connected

Alice Ospovat

Jan 14, 2023
Visit site
I have an Asus Zenfone 8 mini (not flip) running the latest version of Android, whatever that is. Service through Google Fi. Here's my issue -

If I'm connected to my car or other audio system with Bluetooth, even if the car audio is on radio, my phone audio doesn't work - it's like it's trying to send the audio to the car speakers even though the car isn't set to Bluetooth. I have to turn off Bluetooth entirely on my phone to get it to just play audio from my phone. This is a giant pain if I need driving directions from Google Maps.

It must be something to do with my phone or settings, because my husband doesn't have the same issue even in the same vehicle. Can anyone tell me if there's a solution?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is the part I don't understand - why, when the car is set to radio, would it be even trying to pair to my phone via Bluetooth?

Because the Bluetooth radio is on. The phone "sees" the paired Bluetooth device and connects.

Why doesn't switching the car to radio mode automatically turn off Bluetooth? This is what I would have expected.

This comes back to what I was trying to allude to before: The tuner in the car is set for one input to route to the speakers. It would be no different from having one TV but connected to a BlueRay Player, A DVD player, and a video game console. If all three are on, only one can be displayed at any time.

The part I think is super weird is that apparently there's no way to force my phone to play Google Maps navigation *always through phone speakers no matter what* which would be a fine solution.

It sounds like a simple solution. However, when coding the app to make this to happen, you are introducing new ways to break the application. As far as I have been aware of, when a phone is connected to audio, ALL audio is routed through Bluetooth. Maps would have to 1. disengage Bluetooth, 2. wait for the connection to kill, 3. do the voice prompt, 4. reconnect bluetooth. Those 4 steps could take several seconds. If you are navigating and nearing your turn, a turn could be missed because of all the changing of radios.

What seems like a fine solution sometimes isn't so feasible for coding the application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali