Brightness flickering issues Galaxy S7

LP5095

May 14, 2017
Visit site
The phone: Galaxy S7, model SM-G930W8, less then 2 years old.

The OS: Android 7.0, kernel 3.18.14-13017527.

Hi,

My troubles have started around 3 weeks ago. At first, the brightness flickering was only present when the brightness of my phone was at the middle or higher and the issue was rarely appearing.

Things have worsened in the past 3 days. Now, the flickering is always present, even at minimum brightness and sometimes, the brightness fade to dark, turning the screen pitch black like if my phone was turned off.

But there is an exception: Strangely, the upper most part of the screen, the top first 1 cm or so, is not affected by the brightness flickering. Even when the rest of the screen goes black, this part still display the correct level of brightness and it never flicker. And the two bottom screen buttons lights up correctly to when press.

I’ve made 3 videos to show you the situation:

When the brightness turns to darkness, I’m somewhat able to brim some light on by rebooting my phone whit the volume down/power simultaneous press but the issue always come back.

So, what do you think of all this? Software or hardware issue?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No video needed, from the description this is a panel failure. If it was just a sensor or software issue, the entire panel would flicker (and even then, flickering is almost always a damaged panel anyway). I'm sorry but you are gonna have to get it replaced.

If you want to rule out software, you can boot up into Safe Mode (but you'll most likely even see the flicker on Recovery, so that's even before the OS kicks in).

LP5095

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the fast answer SpookDroid.

For safe mode, I forgot to mention it but I've tried this and the issue was still there.

So, I need a whole new screen, that suck... :-\

Anyway, thank again for your help!