Brightness of Lock screen Pixel 6

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
For the past 8 years, I've been dealing with a very dim Lock Screen.
I use a 1 minute timeout on my display so I can save Battery life.
I've always had to tweak the brightness in the Display Screen by Manually adjusting the Brightness Slider.
With Android 13, that no longer works. My Lock screen is so dim, I can't see it.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It's in all environments. As I posted previously, the work around of adjusting the Brightness Slider manually back and forth to 100%,solved the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is Auto Brightness turned on? If so, does it happen if you turn Auto Brightness off?

If Auto Brightness is on, then make sure the light sensor at the top of the phone isn't blocked (like by a case, or by any dirt or grime).

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
My Brightness level is 100%. Is that the same as AUTO BRIGHTNESS on? The spot in the middle of the Status Bar, I thought was the Selphi lens, but it's clear. Anything else to check?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of any Developer Option that impacts lockscreen brightness.

Does this persist in Safe Mode?

So after you unlock to the homescreen, the brightness returns to normal? Could you take a picture of the lockscreen (using another device) and show it here?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Safe Mode made no difference. Unfortunately I don't have another device to get a Screen shot to you.
Before I updated to Android 13, I didn't have this problem. Even the charging screen, that was always bright, is now very dim. It's very frustrating.
Thanks for hanging in there with me.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
FYI, I ust tried the Google Assistant command "Increase Brightness".
It resulted in a Screen with a Brightness Slider that was about 85 percent to the right. I manually moved the slider All the way to the right, and rechecked, but there was no difference.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I have all the battery related settings ON, with Battery Savings warning set for 20%. Before I change them, I'm afraid I'll create other problems. What's the downside to turning them off?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Iim having difficulty ignoring this issue because it's very important to me.
I just noticed that the screen brightness "increases" as the ambient light in the room "increases". It would seem to me that the opposite should occur. When I turn on additional lights, the screen gets brighter and more visible.
Is there a way to reverse that process?
Frankly, I'm not interested in saving battery life, at the expense of visibility.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There's no downside to turning off Battery Saver -- mine is completely off. I do have Adaptive Battery on, so that shouldn't cause any issues unless the battery is pretty low.

For Adaptive Brightness, the screen normally gets brighter if the light around the phone increases. This is normal, and makes sense. If things get bright around you, the display needs to be brighter in order to be more visible. If the surrounding light decreases, you want the display dimmer -- think about a dark room, where you don't want the display to blind you.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I do understand the process of adjusting the Brightness. My problem is that the ambient light is not bright in my office and has never been bright. I've had a Smartphone for almost 10 years and my LOCK SCREEN has always been bright enough for me to read it. This problem began with the Android 13 update.
How about Google having an option to turn off that Brightness sensor? No matter what I have the Ambient Brightness set, either off or on, the problem is still there.
I guess I'll just have to live with it until I find a workaround.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely odd. Might be worth trying a factory reset.

You haven't adjusted the DPI on this phone, have you? Or done anything else in the Developer Options?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
No, I haven't gone near Developer Options and the DPI has not changed. You know my feelings about FACTORY RESET, so I won't go there.
I've had previous problems with previous devices regarding the DIM LOCK SCREEN, but found workarounds. Those workarounds no longer fix the problem.
My Pixel 6 is in a LOCK SCREEN mode often as I await notifications so that's why it's so important to me. I'll probably place a lamp to add more light to the room. BTW my Pixel 6 is in a stand, within arms length
Thanks again for your patience and help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Screen Saver turned on in the system settings? If so, see what happens if you turn that off.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Might want to try this and see if it helps

Head into settings on your Pixel 6 or 6 Pro. You can do this by swiping down twice from the top of the homescreen and tapping the settings cog.
Once in settings, tap Apps and then hit See all apps.
Scroll down until you find Device Health Services and tap it.
Once in the app info page, tap Storage & cache.
Next, tap Manage space.
Note: This button willl have a trash icon attached to it. Don’t worry, this doesn’t mean anything vital is getting deleted immediately.
Tap Reset adaptive brightness at the top of this next page. After hitting it, confirm you’d like to reset adaptive brightness to the factory default.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
No screen saver is not set.
Also, the reset of the Adaptive Brightness did not change anything. But thanks for the suggestion