Buy android G1 phone at eBay for developer use question.

kardin

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys!

I'm new with android, I already signed up new acct with android market and be able to buy G1 phone for dev at google site ($399). My question is: can I buy an unlock G1 phone at ebay (used phone but cheaper) and use it for develop android app?

I'm having contract with Verizon, can't switch to T-mobile at this time. I think I can buy any android G1 phone (lock or unlock) and use it for dev software. Is that true?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

PGHammer

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't Dream (for dev/test work)

Hi guys!

I'm new with android, I already signed up new acct with android market and be able to buy G1 phone for dev at google site ($399). My question is: can I buy an unlock G1 phone at ebay (used phone but cheaper) and use it for develop android app?

I'm having contract with Verizon, can't switch to T-mobile at this time. I think I can buy any android G1 phone (lock or unlock) and use it for dev software. Is that true?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

In fact I would recommend *against* the G1 (now titled the Dream within HTC and the dev community) simply because it won't officially support Froyo. With VZW as your current carrier, you have a wider range of possibilities for an Android-based handset as a dev-test platform; I would, in fact recommend the original Motorola Droid for this purpose.

The three big reasons are:

1. Price. It's one of the lowest-priced known-to-be-Froyo-ready Android phones out there (there are leaked ROMs and images with Froyo for the Droid already, and an official upgrade from VZW is due in a month or less). The Droid is $150 *new*, however, you can likely get CLN Droids for less at local VZW stores.

2. Far fewer hoops to jump through. In addition to Google, you could also sign up for MOTODEV (Motorola's own developer community) and grab a complete software development package that covers all their Android devices (as opposed to Google's own bits-and-pieces approach, MOTODEV includes everything but the Java bits). By grabbing the MOTODEV package, I have not just the generic phones/devices covered, I can now develop for MOTOBLUR devices as well. (It costs no more in terms of money, as MOTODEV for Android is also free.)

3. No ETF to sweat. Because you will be keeping your current carrier, you'll have no ETF to worry about. (Honestly, I like VZW's coverage and plan cost.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kooglmebtch08