Buy another Nexus 7?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just looking for some advice. I love my Nexus 7 but it was getting too old and unresponsive. I would have to re-start almost once or twice a week to get it to respond. I bought a Lenovo tab 4 8 and have mixed feelings about keeping it. It's heavier and has a hard drive which is a bit noisy and buzzing. I would return it and buy another Nexus 7 but they are getting pretty old at this point and cannot take any more updates. Just wondered about other people's opinions and what you do when your Nexus wears out? Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: buy another Nexus 7?

Welcome to the forums. I tried looking at the device, and I think it is far too thin to have an actual hard drive. It's probably a micro SSD at the largest, most likely being a flash chip embedded in the board.

That all being said, I don't know what buzzing sound you are hearing, but I wouldn't say that is a good sign.

Decent tablet devices are hard to come by. I wouldn't recommend another Nexus device.... they are too old.

What does a tablet offer you that either a larger phone or smaller laptop won't provide?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

My Nexus 7/2 is as good as when new. If I wanted another tablet, I'd buy again if available in preference to many of the current offerings. That's how good, in my judgment, it is.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't get another Nexus 7, for the reasons mentioned above. It's getting up there in age and the latest version of Android is 5.1.1, which is going to start losing developer and feature support quicker than you might hope.

Quality tablets to replace it (other than expediency of updates) - the Samsung Tab S line is a solid choice, but those only come in larger sizes.

I'm not aware of any modern Android-based devices running a platter drive, they're all going to be flash-based storage. Like @Golfdriver97 I don't know what would cause that noise but I'd suspect something in a power circuit, possibly for the screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The buzzing might be a faulty autofocus mechanism -- is it coming from the camera?

I've actually found my Lenovo Tab 4 8 to be an admirable replacement for the Nexus 7. It's not the fastest device around, but as a media and light gaming device, it works just fine, with a good screen and very good stereo speakers.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I've actually found my Lenovo Tab 4 8 to be an admirable replacement for the Nexus 7. It's not the fastest device around, but as a media and light gaming device, it works just fine, with a good screen and very good stereo speakers.

That's interesting, since you had a 7 - which if I recall right from elsewhere was the second version - with which to compare. I'm not familiar with áll the current tablets, but I think that the 7/2's wide colour gamut, good colour accuracy, 323-ppi display, high brightness, smooth and fast performance, stereo speakers, and large bezels for good holding, would be hard to beat, especially given the modest price. There are surely current tablets that don't even equal the 7/2, let alone beat it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I do still like the proportions of the Nexus 7 a little better -- it's just right for the size of my hand. The problems with my 2013 N7 are (a) stuck on Marshmallow, (b) battery was starting to deteriorate, and (c) only 16 GB. I actually had a 32 GB one previously that died; the one that I still have used to be the one my daughter used.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The Lenovo has an absolutely terrible vibration motor, which sounds more like a buzzer, so it may be that it was giving a vibration along with some other notification.

TGEVDO

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

I still have my 2013 one. I don't use it everyday but I pull it out from time to time to update the apps. think about. it has wireless charging and it's from 2013. some stuff coming out in 2020 doesn't have it!

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

N7 is not a good option today for all the reasons others have noted, but current Android offerings very attractive. Samsung tablets are good but mostly too expensive. Only other decent budget offering is Amazon Fire tablets, but you have to live with their skinned version of Android or hack it. IMO there is nothing else out there and nothing else coming out. Android is just not going to catch on in tablets. I suppose an N7 would be viable today for games, youtube and email, especially with the lack of available options. But it's probably not going to be reliable, and the lack of security updates makes most other activities dangerous.

My own N7 started acting up after a couple years and I really disliked the 16:9 screen ratio, so I moved to the N9, which had it's own issues, then the Pixel C. Really liked the C and stuck with it for 3+ years, but decided to move to a Chromebook after the C security updates ended. Probably would have stuck with the C if it was supported longer. The C is the last good Android tablet in my opinion.

Rickey Shortt

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

I actually just recently pulled my old 2013 Nexus 7 out and started using it again on a limited basis. Using it almost entirely to watch videos on Netflix, Hulu, etc. It's a little slow, but I uninstalled virtually all of the apps on it except for a few entertainment related ones. Once a show is up and running it does fine and I can continue using my phone for other things.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia