Buy another Nexus 7?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just looking for some advice. I love my Nexus 7 but it was getting too old and unresponsive. I would have to re-start almost once or twice a week to get it to respond. I bought a Lenovo tab 4 8 and have mixed feelings about keeping it. It's heavier and has a hard drive which is a bit noisy and buzzing. I would return it and buy another Nexus 7 but they are getting pretty old at this point and cannot take any more updates. Just wondered about other people's opinions and what you do when your Nexus wears out? Thank you.

NexusSevenInFlorida

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Just looking for some advice. I love my Nexus 7 but it was getting too old and unresponsive. I would have to re-start almost once or twice a week to get it to respond. I bought a Lenovo tab 4 8 and have mixed feelings about keeping it. It's heavier and has a hard drive which is a bit noisy and buzzing. I would return it and buy another Nexus 7 but they are getting pretty old at this point and cannot take any more updates. Just wondered about other people's opinions and what you do when your Nexus wears out? Thank you.

I was just using my 2013 model to read a Kindle book tonight. Works fine. Not as "snappy" as brand new but still working to my satisfaction. I have the most basic version with only 16 gigs and that is the only thing I wish was different in that I would have liked the 32 gig variant. Other than that, very happy. Bought it during Black Friday week in 2013 for only $199 which is even less reasons to complain.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I was just using my 2013 model to read a Kindle book tonight. Works fine. Not as "snappy" as brand new but still working to my satisfaction. I have the most basic version with only 16 gigs and that is the only thing I wish was different in that I would have liked the 32 gig variant. Other than that, very happy. Bought it during Black Friday week in 2013 for only $199 which is even less reasons to complain.
I still have a 2013 Nexus 7, but mine is the 32 GB version. I had a 16 GB version that I gave to a family member.

I mainly use my Nexus 7 to read ebooks, and it works great for that purpose.

Enkb

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
I still use my Nexus 7 2013 every day, I just flashed it with Liquid Remix Android 9. I don't find anything out there in size and image quality that I consider an upgrade from what I have now, except for the Ipad Mini, or the real high end android tablets. I mainly use it for watching, youtube, the news, and stream radio or spotify. So I really don't want to break the bank just yet, I hope there will be a similar tablet one day that feels like an upgrade with the same size and exellent picture quality.

scott90

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
I have Nexus 7 (2013) that I used mostly when traveling. I have to carry a secure laptop for work so I wanted something lighter for personal use that wasn't just a phone. However, it's very slow.

I recently got a Samsung Tab E for free. I thought I would switch over then stumbled on this thread. I'm now wondering which to keep.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey, how is that? I've seen that advertised at Costco for pretty cheap, and the specs seem pretty decent.
I really like it. Battery life is great. It has an S Pen, headphone jack and an SD card slot. I got the 128 GB version in blue. I'm happy with the larger size, since I use it for reading ebooks and watching YouTube and Netflix.

scott90

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
I really like it. Battery life is great. It has an S Pen, headphone jack and an SD card slot. I got the 128 GB version in blue. I'm happy with the larger size, since I use it for reading ebooks and watching YouTube and Netflix.

I don't think I use it enough (especially now that I am not travelling) to spemd the money one something that nice, but I was thinking the Tab E was a move in that direction. I supposed I can keep both and try it out. However, have been planning to collect old but functional tech that works on wifi to donate to elderly people on fixed incomes or in nursing homes so that can use to communicate with family while they are isolated (or for those who use to be more active - to participate in community meetings that have switched to Zoom, etc.) I have some phones but think the larger screen will be better for them. So I want to donate one of these.

cjbbrussels

Dec 17, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn't get another Nexus 7, for the reasons mentioned above. It's getting up there in age and the latest version of Android is 5.1.1, which is going to start losing developer and feature support quicker than you might hope.

Quality tablets to replace it (other than expediency of updates) - the Samsung Tab S line is a solid choice, but those only come in larger sizes.

I'm not aware of any modern Android-based devices running a platter drive, they're all going to be flash-based storage. Like @Golfdriver97 I don't know what would cause that noise but I'd suspect something in a power circuit, possibly for the screen.

Hi ENKB,
What do you mean by "I just flashed it with Liquid Remix Android 9". Did you update the Android operating system? If so, how?

The Nexus 7 only went to 5.1.1 in Jan 2015 and had no more updates. I'd be interested in anything you have to share about updating the operating system.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi ENKB,
What do you mean by "I just flashed it with Liquid Remix Android 9". Did you update the Android operating system? If so, how?

The Nexus 7 only went to 5.1.1 in Jan 2015 and had no more updates. I'd be interested in anything you have to share about updating the operating system.

Thanks.

Welcome.

I will try to attract @Enkb’s attention by quoting the name in that way. It may work.

Members may also send private messages to each other.

Enkb

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
@cjbbrussels @belodion, sorry just noticed your mention.

Yes I flashed my Nexus 2013 with "liquid_remix-10.0.8-20190516-UNOFFICIAL-flo"
I followed this tutorial:
https://www.getdroidtips.com/liquid-remix-nexus-7-2013/
During this process I needed to repartition my Nexus I used this script:
https://forum.xda-develop...2013-repartition-t3844386
Nexus Root Toolkit helped me out whenever I got stuck: https://nexus-root.com/

A user from a different forum used this Android 10 version: lineage-17.1-20201216-UNOFFICIAL-deb.zip
This Gapps: open_gapps-arm-10.0-micro-20201219.zip

Hope this helps I used it for a couple of months with Android 9.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards