Buy or Not

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I currently use an iPad 2 for the past year when sitting around the house and usually even take it to work with me just in case. My question as I am a gadget guy like most of us here should I pick up the N7. I would figure I would use it for more for on the go and connect it to my phone with fox fi. So should I just save my money and use the iPad for everything?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's your call. The Nexus 7 is more portable, lighter, and has a number of other advantages. Only you can decide if it meets your needs better enough to justify the cost.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a transformer prime and really like it, but after setting up my friends N7 I have to say it was amazing. Very small and efficient. It is a great device for using when you want something portable. The price is so low that you really can't go wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I would think that if you're just looking for something more portable than the iPad, and would use the same apps, it would make more sense to buy the iPad Mini. It's not as portable as the N7, but the screen area is bigger. The N7 screen also has higher resolution, but the Mini is likely more than satisfactory. By the way, I love my N7 and the "fun" Android operating system, and have no desire to enter the Apple world. But unless, you're planning an entire ecosystem switch to Android, including trading in your iPad, it really makes more sense to stay the Apple way.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I would think that if you're just looking for something more portable than the iPad, and would use the same apps, it would make more sense to buy the iPad Mini. It's not as portable as the N7, but the screen area is bigger. The N7 screen also has higher resolution, but the Mini is likely more than satisfactory. By the way, I love my N7 and the "fun" Android operating system, and have no desire to enter the Apple world. But unless, you're planning an entire ecosystem switch to Android, including trading in your iPad, it really makes more sense to stay the Apple way.

The $150 he would save would more than make up for the benefit of buying an iPad mini with lower specs.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I agree with him. If you are really invested in the iOS echosystem and want to keep using what you have then maybe an iPad mini is the way to go, otherwise you will have to shell out to buy everything again. the iPad Mini is not as small as the Nexus 7 (almost to a significant amount) but you get to keep on keeping with what you have. Me myself I just dumped iOS for WP8 and a Nexus 7. I tend to not spend much money on the echo systems and lean more to cross platform services like rhapsody/netflix so it wasn't really a big deal. I use a PS Vita for gaming on the go, my Windows Phone for connectivity, and my Nexus for casual surfing.

That said I am glad I dumped the iPad. (still on the fence about windows phone though). The Nexus 7 is way easier to transport and the OS is a great change from the staleness that is iOS. It is the best in it's price range too. If your looking for a fresh take on tablets/OS then this will not dissapoint you. If you wear a suit it will fit in your breast pocket. The only gripe I have so far on it is the battery life is not as good as an iPad. I haven't used Android since 2.0 and it has become an excellent OS.

Mr.Mcgoo

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, I am not really imbedded into IOS as just gave the iPhone 4S to my son and went back to android. The iPad is mostly used just for web surfing and some videos which I would keep it around for those reasons as it works well. This would be used more on the go and at work for quick look ups and whateven I discover next.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7, but personally I don't see any point in you buying one if you've already got an iPad. A tablet isn't a necessity for anyone as it is, so having two of them is even sillier. Between a smartphone and your iPad you should be more than covered, no need to waste your money on a third device that fits right between them in size. What for?

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
What phone do you own? While the iPad is a great device, it is a little big. I've held the Nexus 7, and its size is fantastic for carrying around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dndman