Calendar Sync More Than 7 Weeks Back

tomkind80

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the stock calendar and Business Calendar both and neither syncs back farther than May 22nd. I really need to see my events farther back than that. I used Business Calendar on my GSII and never had this problem. I did however have it on my EVO that I had before the GSII. I cant remember if I fixed it somehow or if I just used the Google Calendar website. This is really killing me. Anyone have an idea how to make it show older events?

BTW I have re-synced everything in Accounts and in both calendar apps.

Thanks in advance...

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to figure out how to do this as well so let me know if you find out any more. If I find any info, I'll post an update.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok...

I did some Googlin' and my memory was jogged. I ran into this same problem when I got my first smartphone (a Droid Inc) a couple years ago. I don't think this is a platform-specific issue as I saw it on that Incredible. Google defaults to sync'ing events that are less than a month old. The work-around that I have successfully used on the Inc and now my S3 is to export and re-import your calendar(s) that you want sync'ed past the previous several weeks.

To do this, you'll need to go to open your Google Calendar with a browser and go to the settings page. Once there, hit the "Calenders" tab. From there, click the link "Export calendars" and save the zip file to your computer. Unzip the file. For each calendar you want to reimport, click the "Import calendar" link, select the appropriate unzipped .ics file and the appropriate target. It sounds a little scary but this process did not screw up any of my events or create any duplicates. The theory is that it updates the modified timestamp of all events so they'll be sync'ed to your phone.

Here's the post I found that helped jog my memory:

Yahoo! Groups

As with all web-advice, YMMV and proceed with appropriate caution. This was the second time I've had this problem with 2 different phones and both times, the export/import method worked for me without screwing up my data.

tomkind80

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok...

I did some Googlin' and my memory was jogged. I ran into this same problem when I got my first smartphone (a Droid Inc) a couple years ago. I don't think this is a platform-specific issue as I saw it on that Incredible. Google defaults to sync'ing events that are less than a month old. The work-around that I have successfully used on the Inc and now my S3 is to export and re-import your calendar(s) that you want sync'ed past the previous several weeks.

To do this, you'll need to go to open your Google Calendar with a browser and go to the settings page. Once there, hit the "Calenders" tab. From there, click the link "Export calendars" and save the zip file to your computer. Unzip the file. For each calendar you want to reimport, click the "Import calendar" link, select the appropriate unzipped .ics file and the appropriate target. It sounds a little scary but this process did not screw up any of my events or create any duplicates. The theory is that it updates the modified timestamp of all events so they'll be sync'ed to your phone.

Here's the post I found that helped jog my memory:

Yahoo! Groups

As with all web-advice, YMMV and proceed with appropriate caution. This was the second time I've had this problem with 2 different phones and both times, the export/import method worked for me without screwing up my data.

Thanks sixty_four!

That worked perfectly. One caveat to others though: It will make duplicates of all calendars except your main calendar. My calendar restored just like normal, but my other 3 calendars I imported all showed up as entries in my calendar as well as the original calendar they were created in. Not a huge deal, just a little PITA. It's possible there is a way to import them into the correct calendar and I just missed that step. Overall though, I am really happy that I have all my entries. Thanks again sixty_four

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad it worked for you. It does sound like you didn't specify the target calendar when importing each .ics file. There's a way to select that from the web page but I can't remember exactly where that option is.

sphillippi

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to share this information. I had carefully imported all my Palm data from the past 12 1/2 years into Google Calendar. Everything was syncing great with my Galaxy S3 until Verizon downloaded a software update a few days ago, and **POOF**, all my calendars from prior years were deleted from my phone. Your fix was simple, easy, and worked perfectly. Sixty_four for president!!!!!

trevham

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Would just like to add the first time i tried this i had a sync error on my phone after re importing the calendars. To resolve it i had to delete the app data for calendar storage and s planner in applications list and then re sync, afterwards had all my old entries back on the phone :) Thanks Sixty_four

anon(6043658)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
sixty_four,

You hit the nail on the head with this answer. I Googled this problem for hours and your antidote was the only thing that worked. I even downloaded Goolgles calendar app to no avail. Actually omkind80Samsungs or the stock one looks and works much better anyway. This problem should have never happened to anyone. Thanks.

Bill

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
sixty_four, I just wanted to let you know that this advice is still helping people. I recently replaced my phone and installed Business Calendar, but found that it had not synced older events, whether back a few months or a few years. I vaguely remembered having seen discussions of this problem; a Google search led me here, and the export-import process, followed by a sync in Business Calendar, absolutely did the trick. I add my thanks to those of others!

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
sixty_four, I just wanted to let you know that this advice is still helping people. I recently replaced my phone and installed Business Calendar, but found that it had not synced older events, whether back a few months or a few years. I vaguely remembered having seen discussions of this problem; a Google search led me here, and the export-import process, followed by a sync in Business Calendar, absolutely did the trick. I add my thanks to those of others!

Good to know, Dave! And it's not really something I figured out myself, but something I found on a Google groups discussion (I think). Just passing it along...