Camera update: RAW + jpeg?

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I updated the camera app and noticed this option. Was it always there and I missed it or is it new?

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I never saw it before. Did you give it a try? I'm going to see what happens tomorrow and check out the raw photos

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I never saw it before. Did you give it a try? I'm going to see what happens tomorrow and check out the raw photos
You understand of course that the raws have to be processed. Right ?
The pic you see when you view a raw file is simply a small, very low resolution jpg that’s imbedded into the raw file.

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The pic you see when you view a raw file is simply a small, very low resolution jpg that’s imbedded into the raw file.

I understand what a raw file is. The settings say "raw + jpeg. Are you saying it doesn't save a separate jpeg in addition to the raw photos?

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I understand what a raw file is. The settings say "raw + jpeg. Are you saying it doesn't save a separate jpeg in addition to the raw photos? Ok just tried it. It saves the raw photos and a separate full resolution jpeg. Why would you assume when you view the raw you're looking at a low resolution jpeg? You can view raw photos you know?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand what a raw file is. The settings say "raw + jpeg. Are you saying it doesn't save a separate jpeg in addition to the raw photos? Ok just tried it. It saves the raw photos and a separate full resolution jpeg. Why would you assume when you view the raw you're looking at a low resolution jpeg? You can view raw photos you know?

No you misunderstood me. Raw + jpg does save a processed jpg in addition to the raw file.
What I’m saying is that there is, embedded into the raw file, a small, low resolution thumbnail jpg. That’s part of the DNG standard.
For example if you delete the associated jpg you’ll find you can still view the photo in your gallery (google photos or whatever viewer that you use), however you are not seeing the unprocessed raw data, you’re seeing the small, low res jpg thumbnail that’s embedded into the raw file. It’s there just for this purpose. So photo viewers can “see” what the photo is taken of.
I see people, who don’t know what raw files are but heard that they’re “great”, take a photo I raw then complain that when they view it, especially when zoomed a little or looked at on a larger screen, it’s not very good. They don’t understand that the raw data has to be processed “developed” first and that what they are looking at is simply a little thumbnail jpg.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Some 3rd party camera apps and many cameras have the option for raw only in addition to raw + jpg. Those “raw only” files still contain an embedded thumbnail low res jpg.

jtesto88

May 17, 2019
Visit site
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!
Been taking RAW files on my PIXEL2 for a while, but really disappointed that when I view them on the camera, they are tiny (600x400 instead of 4000x3000). Been searching for an explanation for months.
Now I understand I'm just viewing the built-in preview. When I copy the .DNG off to my PC, it's the full RAW. Lovely!

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
After my recent camera update, it hangs for a moment when switching between portrait and landscape. This is really bad. I hope new update will fix soon.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
After my recent camera update, it hangs for a moment when switching between portrait and landscape.
I'm not sure what you're describing - does this have something to do with RAW mode? On my Pixel 2 XL (not shooting in RAW) there's absolutely no stutter when turning the phone between portrait and landscape orientation.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're describing - does this have something to do with RAW mode? On my Pixel 2 XL (not shooting in RAW) there's absolutely no stutter when turning the phone between portrait and landscape orientation.

Sorry, I don't know if it is because of RAW mode added. But I just shared my experience after the recent update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franzmorais