Can anyone recommend a good Chromecast app to stream movies from my phone to chromecast?

samxool

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good chromecast app to stream movies from my phone to chromecast?
that literally is all i would need to use chromecast for.
basically, i have a smart tv already, so wouldn't need it for home.
its basically only when i go to a friend's house, they have no usb ports on their tv, etc.
so anything that involves streaming via a pc is out for me.

if you can reccomend something, is it consistently good for movies? i.e., no buffering, no audio lag, big file type support, etc
i always use mx player on my phone, but there's no chromecast support yet

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can anyone recommend a good chromecast app to stream movies from my phone to chromecast?

Chromecast needs to be connected to a WiFi router. You can interact with it on your device, but it is still streaming through the internet that way.
As for apps, Hulu, Google Movies, and I think Netflix are all capable of casting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can anyone recommend a good chromecast app to stream movies from my phone to chromecast?

I don't know of anything to stream from your phone to the Chromecast directly.. Unless you sideload a custom modified Apk that allows it. There is no real official way.

http://gizmodo.com/stream-everything-to-your-chromecast-with-this-clever-w-1098581175

It still needs to be on a wifi network.. Just like if you were using it normally.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

samxool

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

I obviously didn't make myself clear.
i know it needs wifi, and my friends all have wifi that i, and the chromecast could connect to.
i want to know if there are any decent apps that that do a good job of casting movies from my phone's harddrive.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Try EZCast. Its on Play

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

dan smartt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

Local cast, is probably the smoothest streamer out there right now

Posted via Android Central App

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I see two options. Local playback to the CC via EZcast or LocalCast as one. Another and what may be more reliable would be Plex via sync'd content.

Plex would be a little bit more work because of settig up the Plex media Server,but should improve reliability. The biggest problem with just doing playback from your mobile device will be video encoding. I am not sure what kind of content you have, but it is very possible that the video files you have will play fine on your mobile device via a robust player like MX Player but then will really struggle or completely fail going to the CC. There are two ways the content is probably being streamed to the CC. Either the video stream is simply being passed as a raw file and the CC is playing it back(this is prefered) or the software would have to use some type of screen cast and send the video as it is played on your device.(not optimal and could be really bad depending on several factors)

The advantage of plex is you could at your convenience set it to sync content. While the content is being synced to your device from plex, it makes sure it is in a correct format. Then when you get to your destination you can simply play the content from your device that is synced. So far every time I have tried this it has worked well.

Another thought though is not even keep the content locally. Once you setup Plex you could go to your friends house and have his CC pull from your plex setup at home right to his CC.

Don't let the idea of setting up a server scare you either. It is as simple as 5 steps. Create a plex account. Download and install the Plex Media Server(PMS) software to your computer that has the content. Open up the manager and create a content location pointed to your content on your HDD. From the manager Connect to your Plex Account. Log into your Plex account and use plex.

There is allot more you can do with it, but you don't have to. The biggest gotcha I see with plex is that depending on your content transcoding via the PMS can be pretty intensive on the CPU.

You can get the Plex app on your phone and then control everything remotely, or just use a browser. I use my setup like this all over the place.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appcrunk