Can I Use CDMA and GSM Sim, Switching Back and Forth Between the Two?

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, my name is Brian, and I just bought a "Unlocked" G7 Thinq phone that is a CDMA+GSM hybrid(it will work with either). At my home address in S.W. Missouri 65624, the best service is had by using Verizon towers(CDMA), so I bought the Straight Talk Bring Your Own Phone "CDMA" sim kit, along with a $55 Unlimited Plan. I had it activated, and it works great for at home and surrounding area.

The problem I'm having, is during a couple months of the winter, I travel to Virginia 24248 to my girlfriends parents, and at that location, I have NO mobile service at all using the CDMA Straight Talk sim kit. The best service in that area is had by using AT&T towers(GSM).

So I contacted a Straight Talk rep earlier, and he informed me that all I needed to do was buy a Straight Talk Bring Your Own Phone "GSM" sim kit, and have it transferred to my account so I could use my phone while I'm in Virginia, and he also informed me I could switch it back to the CDMA sim when I get back to my home zip, so it will go back to working good with the CDMA towers. Unfortunately, I talked to another Straight Talk rep that said I absolutely could NOT do that. So which one is correct?

I would love to be able to use me phone at both places if possible, which I thought it would be, since my phone will work with both CDMA as well as GSM, and is UNLOCKED. What do i need to do to get this working at both places?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Either SIM should work in the phone, the question is whether ST will keep switching you twice a year. Usually if you stop using SIM for a few months, it's not usable any more. You'd have to straighten that out with them at a level above customer service.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, Thank You... I actually just got done talking to another Straight Talk rep, and he is telling me I can switch back and forth between the two as well(although he didnt say how many times a year or anything), that is something I will have to ask them. He also told me that the Bring Your Own Phone Sim for Unlocked GSM and AT&T towers is showing to have coverage in both areas, so I may not have to switch back and forth between them, depending how good of service I get at home with the GSM sim, where normally I use the CDMA. Thank You for the help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon normally covers more area, AT&T normally covers more people (areas of higher population density), so it's surprising that you have an area with AT&T coverage but no Verizon coverage. But whatever works is best for you.

TransAm461

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up for future reference, the "Unlocked" LG G7 Thinq works beautifully with Straight Talk. In fact, I use it with both their "Bring Your Own Phone" CDMA sim for Verizon towers, as well as their "Bring Your Own Phone" GSM sim kit for AT&T towers, so that I can get the best service, no matter where my location is through out the country. I just contact Straight Talk and have them transfer my number to whichever sim I'm wanting to use at the time. Hope this helps for future reference....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko