Can I use one SSID for everything?

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Issue with 802.11ac using the same SSID as 2.4GHz 802.11n network

Hi guys,

Just picked up a brand new Asus DSL-AC68U and loving it so far! One problem though... If I use the same SSID for both my 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz 802.11ac network, my Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900I) seems to connect to the 2.4GHz 802.11n network.

My mac seems to automatically connect to the 802.11ac network even if I use the same SSID for both spectrums but not my Galaxy S5 for some reason.

The only work around I've found so far is to change the SSID for the 5GHz network but I'd ideally like to use one SSID for everything.

Any ideas?

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Issue with 802.11ac using the same SSID as 2.4GHz 802.11n network

Thanks for the link but this has no relevance to my issue...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
In settings tell it to forget your network and connect to the 5ghz option if you use the same ssid how are you able to tell which is which

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or verizon Galaxy S5 or maybe one day through my moto 360

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

In settings tell it to forget your network and connect to the 5ghz option if you use the same ssid how are you able to tell which is which

Posted via Nexus 7 2013 or verizon Galaxy S5 or maybe one day through my moto 360

I don't want or need to know which network is which, it's up to the device to determine the most appropriate network to connect to such is the case with my Macbook Air - it automatically connects to the 5GHz network even when I use the same SSID for both networks.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
OK sorry just trying to help what channel is your 5ghz channel on also do you have the latest firmware on your router

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

OK sorry just trying to help what channel is your 5ghz channel on also do you have the latest firmware on your router

I understand, I appreciate you trying to help. My issue is that the device isn't complying with the 802.11 protocol. It should automatically detect the 802.11ac network type and connect to it...

I think 802.11ac change and use different channels on a frequent basis - why? Currently on ch149.

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

Thank you. My Galaxy s5 connects fine to the 5GHz network if I use a separate SSID for the 2.4 & 5ghz networks. It's just not connecting with preference to the 802.11ac network when the SSID is set the same on both the 2.4 & 5GHz networks.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

No problem :)

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

There's no reason to have 2 separate networks with the same SSID. It gains you nothing. I run dual networks as well and quite frankly, once they’re set up you’re done. I don’t understand your reasoning, but it is your choice.
That said, there's no real reason not to if you choose to ignore basic housekeeping best practices.

5GHz can have less penetration within a structure which can lead to lower signal strength at the specific device, obviously depending on proximity to the access point, and a variety of other factors like construction materials. Since most devices will connect to the strongest signal by default, it’s possible that it’s acting normally. There are some very good utilities out there. I prefer WiFi Analyzer. It will show you what’s going on with regards to the 2 RF spectrums within your environment.

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

What I did was go into my AC router and named the 2GHZ and 5GHZ sides as two different SSID's so both show up in my WiFi settings on any WiFi device. All I do is select the one I want to connect to and thats it. It automatically connects. If I want the 2GHZ I just select that one and it connects..

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

There's no reason to have 2 separate networks with the same SSID. It gains you nothing. I run dual networks as well and quite frankly, once they’re set up you’re done. I don’t understand your reasoning, but it is your choice.
That said, there's no real reason not to if you choose to ignore basic housekeeping best practices.

5GHz can have less penetration within a structure which can lead to lower signal strength at the specific device, obviously depending on proximity to the access point, and a variety of other factors like construction materials. Since most devices will connect to the strongest signal by default, it’s possible that it’s acting normally. There are some very good utilities out there. I prefer WiFi Analyzer. It will show you what’s going on with regards to the 2 RF spectrums within your environment.

Apologies for being blunt but the reason for my post (maybe it's not clear) is that I want to avoid having 2 separate SSID's. I'm sitting next to my router and with a single SSID encapsulating both the 2.4 & 5GHz networks, my phone seems to prefer connecting to the 2.4GHz network which is weird and not expected.

Please read my original post, especially with respect to my macbook air's (correct and expected) behaviour.

I'm using WiFi Analyzer and it's showing connection to the 2.4GHz network.

gyrex

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site

What I did was go into my AC router and named the 2GHZ and 5GHZ sides as two different SSID's so both show up in my WiFi settings on any WiFi device. All I do is select the one I want to connect to and thats it. It automatically connects. If I want the 2GHZ I just select that one and it connects..

My original post may not be clear but this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm trying to set up a single SSID for both networks.

EMT3816

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

It could be the the 5GHz network is set to a higher priority in your Mac. I can do that with my laptop - I can set what order my laptop connects to. Unfortunately, at least with the stock software, it's not possible to do that on our phones.

What you can try is remove the networks from your phone. Turn off the 2.4GHz in your router. Connect to the 5GHz SSID. Verify you have Internet access. Then try turning the 2.4GHz back on. It might continue to connect to the 5GHz in the future.

jonheld

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Apologies for being blunt but the reason for my post (maybe it's not clear) is that I want to avoid having 2 separate SSID's. I'm sitting next to my router and with a single SSID encapsulating both the 2.4 & 5GHz networks, my phone seems to prefer connecting to the 2.4GHz network which is weird and not expected.

Please read my original post, especially with respect to my macbook air's (correct and expected) behaviour.

I'm using WiFi Analyzer and it's showing connection to the 2.4GHz network.
The REASON to use wifi analyzer is to ANALYZE the spectrum within your environment. We all know that you’re connecting to the 2.4Ghz network. Is there a signal strength issue between the 2? Is there other traffic on the specific frequency? It will tell you all these things and more.

What you are trying to accomplish has no real world benefit. SSIDs are just a simple flag within the data stream. They are there for convenience and identification. You don’t need them to connect if the device has proper creds.
I would suggest that if the devices in your environment connect correctly with 2 different SSIDs, then you have your answer.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Client devices (like a phone) are not designed to use different networks with the same ssid. Your phone must have picked up the 2.4 network first based on signal strength and now when you try to join the 802.11ac 5ghz network, it's just defaulting back to the other settings for the 2.4 network with the same ssid. It's like when I travel for work all the time, I have to constantly delete the hotel network because they are always called Marriott Guest but some of them have passwords and security, some dont. If I don't forget that ssid and connect like a new network, it tries to use the settings associated with the ssid from the previous hotel.

What you should do is deactivate the 2.4 network and have only the 5ghz 802.11ac network running. Delete all network connections on your phone, then scan and connect to the ac network. Then you can turn the 2.5 back on (on the router) and your phone will try to connect to the 5ghz ac from then on and use those settings.

Just a question - why the huge importance of using the same ssid? The ssid has no bearing on anything related to network performance.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582