Cannot receive push messages on mobile data-Only on WiFi?

A

AC Question

I'm using Whatsapp messenger and also Androidlost applications. It was working perfectly, but lately my S4 will not receive any push messages from these apps if it is not connected to WiFi. My WiFi is normally off due to power consumption. Sometimes, if my register to a new tower, the push message will come through on mobile data, but it is suppose to work on mobile data alone, because it can connect to the internet via mobile data. As I said, it was working fine before. I believe it is a setting on the phone.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Data Usage​, and make sure Restrict Background Data isn't turned on, either universally or specifically for those apps.

Cobus Stander

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, we have tried that. Both these apps are not restricted. We also downloaded and upgraded our Internet Settings as advised from our Service Provider. Funny thing is that when we drive into a new town and the S4 registers on the new tower, all the messages comes through? Also, if we open whatsapp, the messages comes through and will keep on coming through as long as the app is open.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any power saving modes turned on? Or data saver options? If you have any carrier apps installed, check there as well, because sometimes they include options to limit your mobile data usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07