Casting/Mirroring Device to TV. Amazon Prime Video casts sound but not video.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Day 3 of owning my Pixel 3XL. I love it. It's a great device. However I ran into a hiccup...

I'm used to using the Google Home app to mirror my device to cast Amazon Prime Videos to my bedroom televsion that has a Chromecast attached to it (main television in the living room is a smart-tv so I just use the included Amazon Prime app to stream on that one). However, now that I've switched to the Pixel 3XL from a Sammy Note device, when I attempt to mirror my device to my bedroom TV's chromecast, the device mirrors just fine while I'm navigating my phone. However, the moment I start a video, the TV goes black and doesn't display the video but the sound/audio comes through just fine.

The first thing I did was power on my old Note device since it can still work via WiFi and cast/mirror from there, and everything works just fine. I've snooped through every setting I could find, changing resolutions of the device itself, changing resolution preferences within the Amazon Prime Video app, etc... but no joy. Just audio and no video. Granted this only seems to happen when the video is fullscreen on the phone.

No issues with Netflix (but then too Netflix casts directly without having to mirror the device).

Anybody else encounter this and find a fix? Anybody successfully casting/mirroring Amazon Prime Video from a Pixel 3XL to their televisions with no issues to fix?

I've tried it both by using the Cast option in the system/notification tray, as well via the Google Home app. I get the same results either way. I could continue to use my now retired Note device, but I kinda want to return it for my refund.