"Cell Standby Issue" is it hardware?

Nozzles Brewin

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Here are my battery stats over the last 2 days, both with WiFi off. I'm going to leave WiFi on tomorrow and see what I get. In the mean time any tips to improve? Although I'm very happy with the battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App on my S6 Edge

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-27-21-27-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-27-21-27-28.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 2293.jpg
    2293.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 2294.jpg
    2294.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2462.jpg
    2462.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 2463.jpg
    2463.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 68
  • 2464.jpg
    2464.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 69

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
My S6 Edge didn't have any battery drain issues, fully configured with my Google services, phone calls, a bit of video use and by 5pm it was still 80% charged. Not sure but I didn't see cell standby even registering as being a battery use factor. Odd.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I use WiFi with airplane mode on all day at work. In a blast proof bunker with no signal. Use t mobile WiFi calling and texting. Today I watched a lot of south park.. Was a slow day.

I'm happy with the numbers. But like I said on airplane mode the whole time with WiFi and you can see the cell standby. So it could only be the WiFi.

Even with high standby 5 hours SoT is amazing to me.

This was at about 60% brightness. Moto 360 connected at all times.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1045.jpg
    1045.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 65
  • 1046.jpg
    1046.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 65

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I use WiFi with airplane mode on all day at work. In a blast proof bunker with no signal. Use t mobile WiFi calling and texting. Today I watched a lot of south park.. Was a slow day.

I'm happy with the numbers. But like I said on airplane mode the whole time with WiFi and you can see the cell standby. So it could only be the WiFi.

Even with high standby 5 hours SoT is amazing to me.

This was at about 60% brightness. Moto 360 connected at all times.

I think it could be the wifi calling. I have airplane mode on at night with wifi active and lose at most 2% battery through a 7 to 8 hour night. Wifi calling was inactive. I started using wifi calling today, as I just received the cell spot router from T-Mobile and for the first time in two weeks saw cell standby as a cause for battery drain.

Via the Android Central App on my S6 edge

koreaa30

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone noticed this issue, where I got rid of cell standby from a factory reset, but once that was gonna I was having issues with Google app always running in the background for maybe 3 hours or so. Keeps the phone awake. So just now I cleared the cache, uninstall updates and disable the app. NOW, the cell standby came back on saying at least 11% or so. Any thoughts??

Also wanted to mention my battery life was even worse with less than 3 hours of screen on time. Before I did the factory reset I was seeing at least 5 hours with the cell standby issue.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
I feel like if my cell-standby is low, something else will rise to compensate for the battery loss. For instance I've done resets which greatly reduced the cell-standby but then increased "Android System" to a comparable level to what the cell standby used to be. That said, I'd recommend using GSAM Battery Monitor, it seems to be providing the most accurate results. I consistently get around 15-25% "wifi active" which I'm assuming is equivalent to cell standby.

Has anyone noticed this issue, where I got rid of cell standby from a factory reset, but once that was gonna I was having issues with Google app always running in the background for maybe 3 hours or so. Keeps the phone awake. So just now I cleared the cache, uninstall updates and disable the app. NOW, the cell standby came back on saying at least 11% or so. Any thoughts??

Also wanted to mention my battery life was even worse with less than 3 hours of screen on time. Before I did the factory reset I was seeing at least 5 hours with the cell standby issue.

Out of curiosity do you have Google Now's always listening on?

koreaa30

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I feel like if my cell-standby is low, something else will rise to compensate for the battery loss. For instance I've done resets which greatly reduced the cell-standby but then increased "Android System" to a comparable level to what the cell standby used to be. That said, I'd recommend using GSAM Battery Monitor, it seems to be providing the most accurate results. I consistently get around 15-25% "wifi active" which I'm assuming is equivalent to cell standby.

Out of curiosity do you have Google Now's always listening on?

That makes sense. And yes I believe so. Could that cause it to stay on in the background?

nanaki2

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Fixed my cell standy issue on my Samsung Edge S6. I originally played around with my mobile network settings and changed it to LTE and GSM, but still saw cell standby using some of my battery under settings /battery. I noticed that after I turn off wifi when I leave home (really only use it at home) then my phone never shows cell standby using any of my battery. Even when I'm home using wifi it doesn't appear. Not sure if cell standy comes from it being left on when you are not connected or not. But for the past week I no longer see cell standby using any of my battery just applications now. I put an old app, "juicedefender" back on my phone to shut off my wifi when I leave home. Works without issue and battery life has improved. And no I don't own/develop the app.

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Just read most of this thread. I think this could have been what was plaguing my S6 Edge...before I returned it and switched to HTC M9.
I'd wake up in the morning and see that my S6 Edge was frozen at a particular time (as seen on the edge night clock). The CPU would be frozen at a good percent (like 90% one night). But it was completely unresponsive and I'd have to do the special multi-button power reset. Coming back up I'd see that the battery remaining was actually now really low, and the CPU usage history would show that something had been eating up about 100% of the CPU up to the point of reset. Even after factory reset it still had the same behavior. Wish I had considered disabling WIFI each night if that was the issue....I may have considered keeping the Edge if that was the needed trick. Loved it otherwise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63