Charges radio is pathetic

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I had voiced my disgust over the Charge's radio and its RX/TX capability in a former post, now I have just proven it to myself.. I thought maybe it was just my location. IT IS NOT. My two daughters have just purchased a LG Revolution and I am extremely jealous. Their phones actually work in 4LTE mode just fine at my residence. They get between 2-4 bars of LTE at all times. I can barely squeak out 1-2 bars if I'm lucky and near a window with my Charges'. Their data / speedtest work anywhere in the house, my wife's charge and mine have to go near a window to do that and half of the time to make a phone call. The Charge's radios are JUNK. I am not joyous over the LG Revo's interface, but their network communications are vastly superior to the Charges. They can even have their phone clipped to their side and receive calls at my house, which is impossible with our Charges.. We have to set our phone near a window to get it to ring a lot of times.. What a bummer... Never another Samsung POJ.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
When I was the verizon store, I was playing with all 3 lte offerings and ran speedtest.net in all of
them side by side simultaneously. The charge was getting the fastest speeds peroid. The thunderbolt was consistently pulling 2 mbps less than the charge, when the lg revolution was consistently,pulling 5-6 mbps less than the charge. That's from my personal experience at least.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I had voiced my disgust over the Charge's radio and its RX/TX capability in a former post, now I have just proven it to myself.. I thought maybe it was just my location. IT IS NOT. My two daughters have just purchased a LG Revolution and I am extremely jealous. Their phones actually work in 4LTE mode just fine at my residence. They get between 2-4 bars of LTE at all times. I can barely squeak out 1-2 bars if I'm lucky and near a window with my Charges'. Their data / speedtest work anywhere in the house, my wife's charge and mine have to go near a window to do that and half of the time to make a phone call. The Charge's radios are JUNK. I am not joyous over the LG Revo's interface, but their network communications are vastly superior to the Charges. They can even have their phone clipped to their side and receive calls at my house, which is impossible with our Charges.. We have to set our phone near a window to get it to ring a lot of times.. What a bummer... Never another Samsung POJ.

Interesting, because every single review out there says the Revolution has the weakest LTE radio of the bunch, with the Thunderbolt having the best and the Charge a close second.

bucrepus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought my Charges were 'fine' for the area I live in. (I live in what I THOUGHT was a fringe area), but since I actually have other phones (Revo) to compare it with, I guess my area is not fringe since they pick up just fine. My Charges just don't pick up worth a flip. The reviews may say a weaker radio in the Revo, but in the real usage world I don't see that in my case. Maybe I have two bad phones, One is stock ED1 and the other is ED4, but that seems to make no dif. The speedtest in town seems to favor the Charge, I agree, but I have very poor network connectivity at my house with the Charge. O well, sorry to blast like this, just aggravated of having to airplane mode on/off the Charge at home to use it. I spent alot of money to have a good phone, and VZW said the updates would fix the connectivity issues (so I kept them), which it didn't. I thought it was signal strength at my house, but since the Revo's work great I guess it was the phones themselves. Again, sorry to blast.. just feel sorta cheated...

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
How do you guys see your 4g signal strength!?? I notice that my charge has a much better signal when on the windowsill than 2 feet away on my desk. =(

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Signal strength was the reason I dumped my Samsung fascinate for a tbolt. It got to the point the Samsung wouldn't even make calls in my appartment. The tbolt is better. I definitely feel your pain. That is the main reason I will not buy another Samsung device.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I will agree with the OP on some of this. The issues that I have isn't with the 3G/4G reception, it is will basic calling reception. Over the 4th of July weekend I was in Laughin, NV and if you have been out there with VZW, you already know it's not that great. Anyways, I have an old LG Dare as my work phone and with the phones siting next to each other at the Colorado Belle Buffet, my Charge has 0 bars and my LG had 3 bars. I had 3G, or at least it said I had 3G, but I had no service for calls. I wish there could just be the ultimate phone where one company would pull all the positives from other companies to make one good phone.

blackhorse221

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Different devices are going to have varying results in different situations. It's not like 4G/LTE is the same in every device, even within the same manufacturer. A Droid Charge may work fine in my house, and I go two houses over and have problems, based on other environmental factors in his house. I'm in a fringe area and I'm rocking 3-4 bars 4G, in my office with a bunch of other stuff around. I go to my neighbor's house and I can barely get a signal. Which is great when I want to escape the wife. ;)