Choosing a Tablet

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for a lightweight tablet (15 inches would be perfect) I can use to stream media.
I prefer at least 1080p in the classic HD ratio screen. 4K would be better but I'm sure it would be too expensive.

I won't be editing only screening so I would like a nice screen of at least 1080p that can handle streaming HD video.

Must be under 3 pounds, preferably significantly under.

Any ideas? I don't care if it is Android or Apple but iPads have the wrong screen ratio.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of any current 15" Android tablets. You may want to look into a detachable ChromeOS device, like the Lenovo Duet 5, which is currently $379 at Best Buy: www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad...s-blue/6477625.p?skuId=6477625&ref=NS&loc=101 It's a 13.3" with a 16:9 ratio. I have its little brother, the Duet 3, which is a great device. Perfect for travel, media consumption, and gaming (Asphalt 9 runs quite well on it).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of any current 15" Android tablets. You may want to look into a detachable ChromeOS device, like the Lenovo Duet 5, which is currently $379 at Best Buy: www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad...s-blue/6477625.p?skuId=6477625&ref=NS&loc=101 It's a 13.3" with a 16:9 ratio. I have its little brother, the Duet 3, which is a great device. Perfect for travel, media consumption, and gaming (Asphalt 9 runs quite well on it).
I've never used Chrome OS. Do all of my Andoid Apps on S22Ultra run in Chrome OS? Is Microsoft Office free as it is in my phone?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Most Android apps will work fine on a ChromeOS tablet, although the Samsung-specific apps that are only available on the Galaxy Store probably can't be installed. If there are any crucial apps you're wondering about, you can ask me and I can check the Play Store on my Duet 3.

Microsoft Office should be free on the tablet as long as you sign in with your account. You could probably also access Office on the web using the browser, which is often more powerful -- that's the case with Google Docs and Sheets, since there are things you can't do with those apps that are only possible on the web interface.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Most Android apps will work fine on a ChromeOS tablet, although the Samsung-specific apps that are only available on the Galaxy Store probably can't be installed. If there are any crucial apps you're wondering about, you can ask me and I can check the Play Store on my Duet 3.

Microsoft Office should be free on the tablet as long as you sign in with your account. You could probably also access Office on the web using the browser, which is often more powerful -- that's the case with Google Docs and Sheets, since there are things you can't do with those apps that are only possible on the web interface.

Microsoft Office is only free on Android tablets smaller than 10.1". Any larger tablet requires a Microsoft 365 subscription.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The Tab S8 ultra was released 12 months ago.

I know, I bought a Tab S8 lol.

If your point is that it was 12 months ago, so *surely* there's a new model right around the corner... The Tab S7 was THREE years ago. And we've just had Unpacked, which is where a new tablet line would have been announced. The soonest it will happen now is in 6 months at the Foldable/watch event.

But it won't happen in 6 months, it will happen in 12.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I know, I bought a Tab S8 lol.

If your point is that it was 12 months ago, so *surely* there's a new model right around the corner... The Tab S7 was THREE years ago. And we've just had Unpacked, which is where a new tablet line would have been announced. The soonest it will happen now is in 6 months at the Foldable/watch event.

But it won't happen in 6 months, it will happen in 12.
Thanks for the explanation. I assumed they came out yearly like phones.

Amazon has some refurbs on sale. I'm trying to decide whether I'd be better off with the Tab 8+ or the Tab 8 ultra.

I've never had a tablet so I'm not sure if I will use it enough to justify the purchase.

My friends all use iPads to play games. I don't enjoy games and I don't want to learn Apple-ese. I would use the tablet to stream video, for social media, and for work. If I get the ultra I can use that as an extension screen for my laptop as well. Still, I don't picture myself playing with my tablet all night while I watch TV as they do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail